PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded SCREAMERNET

A.Kelly
05-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Okay.. After reading chapter 19 over and over.. and over, I've finally managed to get Screamernet II running on 3 machines. I've had to map three network drives in the process. In one of those drives I've had to copy my Object, Motions, Plugins, Presets, Scenes, and Images folders. Copied my config files added strings to my shortcuts and so on and so forth. In other words:

http://www.firedragon.com/~fabio/screamer/screamer.htm

Now, I know that this if for screamer and not screamerII (not exactly anyway) but it seems to have me up and running. The only thing I'm wondering is: Is there an easier way to do this other than having to change every bit of my lightwave information, add strings to my shortcut properties, and so on. Because I don't remember seeing any of that in the LW manual. :confused:

Matt
05-09-2003, 11:58 AM
that tutorial sorted me out!

I find it the best way to set it up, I have two shortcuts to LW one for Screamernet and one for normal LW usage.

you can of course use one of these third party controllers, never used any myself.

'LWQ' is a great little program for single machine batch rendering, works beautifully, helped me out before I managed to get screamernet working.

Personally I wish there was a program written like this . . .

Host Tab:

http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/misc_images/host.jpg

Node Tab:

http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/misc_images/node.jpg

Monitor Tab:

http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/misc_images/monitor.jpg

Matt

videoblaze
05-12-2003, 02:02 PM
[A. Kelly]

I looked through your detailed log of the steps you followed to get LWSN running on your network. I have one question: why did you copy the programs folder to each machine?

The way you have your P: drive mapped for each machine to access, the machines should be able to see the programs and plugins, shouldn't they? You are using the mapped R: drive to save all your rendered frames without problems and the LWSN nodes communicate via the job#/ack# files on P:

It seems you are using a lot of disk space on each machine that is already facilitated by the P: mapped drive.

A.Kelly
05-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Well, actually that link that I posted was a guideline that I followed that someone else had written. As far as copying all that over on each machine, I didn't do that. I didn't see any point to. I didn't copy anything at all over to the "node" machines. I've got three drives mapped.

P:\ (content and configs)
R:\ (Renders)
Z:\ (aka Lightwave_3D_7.0\programs)

On the root of the Z drive is where my LWSN.exe file is. So, what I've done there is created 25 shortcuts in a subfolder called 'Nodes'. Each shortcut has its own name such as: LWSN01, 02, 03, . . . and each has a different command line in the shortcut properties (i.e. LWSN01 is set as job1/ack1 while LWSN14 is set as job14/ack14). Here is the actual command line that I'm using....

Z:\LWSN.exe -2 -cP:\screamernet\config_files -dP:\ P:\screamernet\job1 P:\screamernet\ack1

I've done this basically to make things quicker for me since my node machines change depending on which lab I use (and I find it much more appealing to me than those bloody batch files :D ) . I just open Z:\nodes and click on the shortcut for whichever machine I need to run as the next node. So, like I was saying.. I haven't even copied the LWSN prog onto each machine. Just mapped the drives. Everything initializes fine.. but here is the problem that I'm running into.

I set the rendering options to save the scene as XXXX.avi on R:\ and save animation is checked. It goes thru, renders.. finishes.. and POOF!! No file anywhere. Does each machine have to have the same codec or something? (which they do) I've checked my .cfg files and everything looks correct there as well. Even the plugins. I mean.. the frames will render if I save them as RBG files, but not an animation. Whats up with that?

Rei
05-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Its simple, you like Red Mage, but Thief and Black Mage are much better. Even White Mage and Black Belt are better than Red Mage...

(I am still on my happy high, delete this later)

A.Kelly
05-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Okay.. After a bit of research, I think I've discovered something.

To the best of my knowledge, I would have better luck walking into Fort Knox, sticking my thumb and index finger out and scream "Alright, no body move! This is a stick-up!" and walk out a rich man than I would trying to get ScreamerNetII to render an .avi file (or any animation file for that matter).

Now, if I'm wrong, then please by all means someone correct me and tell me how to do so. But from some of the posts that I've read from way back, doesn't seem its possible. :(

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
A.Kelly
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

P.S. If you guys at NewTek happen to see this, you may want to jump over to your Feature Request forum.. *whistles innocently*

videoblaze
05-13-2003, 11:00 AM
[A. Kelly] If you are using more than one machine to render a scene then you have to save the output as images/frames not AVI/MOV. Using a single machine to perform a batch render on a series of scenes you can set the output to be AVI/MOV

I was having limited success using multiple machines, only native image file formats would save. If I chose .png or .jpg (LW uses a plugin in the plugins input-output folder) I would get .flx files from any machine that didn't have LW installed -- and I wasn't about to invest the time and disk space copying it to multiple machines. The culprit in my case was the pathname argument for the config file was -cL:\Programs\ instead of -cL:\Programs

The trailing '\' seemed to make it impossible for LWSN.exe to find the config file and plugins. For the vast majority of DOS or Windows applications I've used the trailing \ is ignored or required when the target argument is a directory. No matter, I've gotten past that problem and can now render frames using all my PCs.:)

A.Kelly
05-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I was keeping an eye on your posts as well in the other thread. Noticed that you'd solved your problem. I wasn't aware that I couldn't render a mov or avi thru multiple nodes. it just seems to me that it shouldn't be so drawn out as to say.... render 3000 frames into images.. set those images as a sequence, set the sequence as a backdrop, render 3000 frames again. :mad: Oh well.. *shrug* (edit: Although when you are on frame 2995 and and 'man's best friend' somehow manages to unplug your computer. Its nice to go into your render options and set the start frame at 2996 instead of starting all over again)

I'd set my content up as -cP:\screamernet\config_files so I guess that's why everything was working okay for me. Had it been ...\config_files\ I'm sure I would have been posting right there with ya. ;)

3D|Dave
05-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Take a look at Tequila Scream. I use it and never have to do deal with screamernet settings. I just setup a network render and it works.

http://www.digitaltoons.com/shop/

trentonia
05-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Yeah, the easiest way to do it is to go to http://www.respower.com It's like having a 500+GHz computer. Your scenes render at nothing flat squared by the speed of light. It's cheap, It's fast, It's fully automated, and you don;t have to worry about anything. All this time you're wasting setting up stuff, you could have used modelling and animating.
greg