PDA

View Full Version : How to save bone movement in world coordinates?

Dirk
12-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Is there a way to save Bone movement/rotation (or for that matter, any child objects motion) in world coordinates, as envelopes?

Let's say I want to save the motion of the head-bone of a character as a path. The head bone doesn't move relative to it's parent bone, but it moves with the character and the rotation of the spine bones. How to do that?

Dirk
12-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I've tried parenter, follower, motionbaker... nothing works. I mean, I can see the motion path in layout, is there any way to save it?

evenflcw
12-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Add a Null. Apply Follower to the Null. Set Item to Follow to the Bone and activate World Coordinates and After IK options. Now Motion Bake the Null and save the motion.

Motion Baker seldom works well when applied directly to an item in the rig. As such it is better to add an item which has no heirarchial relations and is otherwise free of motion; have the motion transfered to it; then baking that item. This also has the benefit of keeping the original items motion intact. But whether that is a benefit or not might depend on what your doing. :)

Dirk
12-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't get it to work.

What shall I use to bake the motion? There is no motion in graph editor, and Motion Baker Virtual MoCap doesn't capture the XYZ-Motion, only rotation...

evenflcw
12-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Regular Motion Baker should be used on the Null. Baking XYZ motion shouldn't be a problem with that setup. But rotation might. So maybe try the script Proton suggested here?:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8106&highlight=bake

pooby
12-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Try follower before IK.. i just tested it out and it Bakes fine

Dirk
12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
@pooby: works for XYZ, but not for HPB. But I can use a target null to get the rotation. Thanx all!