PDA

View Full Version : Anodized Aluminum Texture help

squeegie
12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Please someone save me! I have been banging my head trying to get a good anodized/ sandblasted aluminum surface. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or can point me in the direction of a tutorial? I keep getting something that is too chrome like, or the grain is too intense. I am trying to get a texture that is more like the metal that they use on digital cameras and such. There is no horizontal grain or anything. The surface appears much like it has been sandblasted with very fine sand. Any help out there for me or am I doomed to chase this ghost?
Thanks in advance!-
squeegie

Scott_Blinn
12-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Could you point me to a reference photo or two?

nthused
12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Perhaps a fractal on the bump map set to a very small scale...also, try the anisotropic shader. Together, these should work...remember that your lighting will affect a surface like this a lot.

squeegie
12-01-2005, 01:19 PM
http://www.goodiestore.com/aluminum%20finishes.html
They actually call it "Satin" finish. There is no real grain to the metal, but the reflection is diffused quite a bit so that all you get is a wide specular shine. Hope this helps. I have tried to get the texture with a very small procedural ( .001 mil), but with disapointing results. Thanks again!
-squeegie

toby
12-01-2005, 03:23 PM
This is what the BRDF shader was created for, but it's problematic - it's not very flexible and if you raytrace reflections at the same time, you get black spotty render errors. ( actually that might go away if you turn off multi-threading )

The tiny procedural in the bump doesn't work very well, try putting it in the specular channel instead and size it like 1mm high so that it makes thin rings around the object. Also try adding reflection with reflection blurring at 50-100%.

Ztreem
12-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Try to not use specular highlights as they do not exist in reality and use reflection blurring with bright white luminosity planes.

toby
12-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Whether to use specularity or not is an ongoing argument. Personnally I don't think it's ideal to use reflection blurring exclusively, because the LW renderer wasn't designed with that in mind and it's options are very limited. You can't for example scale it to stretch it in one direction or another, or increase the sample rate to reduce the noise. It can also increase the render times 5 - fold.

Vray is a renderer that was created with this in mind, they didn't even have Specularity, but recently agreed to include it as an option, responding to pressures from the industy. But in this software, reflection blurring is the best choice because it's been designed to replace specularity.

The best way to decide for yourself is by what looks the best.

squeegie
12-02-2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks everyone! At least now I am pointed in the right direction. I'll post some presets when I get something worth showing. -squeegie

Cyberfish_Fred
11-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Anyone already has a good anodized material? or tips?

Thanks!

Freddy

JeffrySG
11-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Have you tried this one:
http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/326/