PDA

View Full Version : Animation

randysolo
12-01-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm having problems with animation. I'm not sure where to post the question. I have a model with bones. Everything works fine in frame 0. When I try to move the the foot or leg, the bones separate and the leg/foot deform abnormally. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Can SOmeone help?

thanks,

randysolo

walfridson
12-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Post a screenshot

spec24
12-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Tough to answer without knowing the circumstances of your rig. But my first guess would be to turn on Full Time IK under the Setup tab.

peteb
12-01-2005, 06:46 AM
When you say Move you are rotating aren't you not actually movoing the bone?

randysolo
12-01-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm putting together a screen shot now. But in the meantime, I'm not moving the bones themselves. I'm moving a null that's attached to a "leg effector". Everything moves ok, but, the leg moves ahead of the foot bone. That is, when the lower leg bone moves, the foot bone moves too, but there is a delay, and the bone seperates at the the ankle and deforms abnormally. I'll post some screen shots in a minute. I'm trying to learn. This is just an experimental model that I'm using to learn.

thanks,

Randysolo

randysolo
12-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Here is frame 0, frame 5 - I moved L_IK_leg up. I scrubbed the playhead back and got the abnormal distortion. I hope my attachments aren't too large. thanks for the help,

randysolo

spec24
12-01-2005, 08:09 AM
it looks like you're trying to use the same goal object (your null) for the bottom of your leg and the top of your heel/ankle bone. That's if I'm seeing your rig correctly. Is that in fact what is happening? That won't work, as the heel/ankle bone will not follow the goal correctly (not sure why it's following at all given the setup). You may want to parent the goal to the heel/ankle bone and try moving the foot (the bones) around to give you what you want rather than moving the actual goal.

oops - didn't see your schematic view. Either way, your L_FootRoll and children will not follow the IK chain correctly. I would still parent your goal object to L_FootRoll and parent the entire foot hierarchy (L_FootRoll on down) to the actual character. That way your feet will stay put on the ground as your character moves.

randysolo
12-01-2005, 11:35 AM
That didn't help. No matter what I delete or what I parent to what, the bone keeps seperating. I know that the bones are welded in modeler. What allows them to seperate in Layout? It just seems strange that it only happens when I make the change in another frame other that frame 0. changing the model in Frame 0 doesn't affect the bones staying together. But when I create a keyframe in any other frame the 2 bones seperate and cause distortions.

any more ideas?

thanks

i owe you guys a beer.....

randysolo

jasonwestmas
12-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Randy, could you post the scene file. I don't need the model. It looks like you have the nulls or bones parented to the wrong things.

randysolo
12-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Here is the scene file. let me know if you can or can't open it.

thanks,

Randysolo

spec24
12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
hey randy - no luck opening it here.

randysolo
12-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Are you using mac or windows? I'm using mac. I downloaded the zip file, then double-clicked the resulting file which gave me a scene file. A lot of clicking but I think it works - it's just the bones in the scene. hope that helps... thanks guys..

randysolo

spec24
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Are you using mac or windows? I'm using mac. I downloaded the zip file, then double-clicked the resulting file which gave me a scene file. A lot of clicking but I think it works - it's just the bones in the scene. hope that helps... thanks guys..

randysolo

hmm - I'm using Windows - I know you are on the Mac. I was under the impression that LW files were cross-platform. Don't know what to say then :(

jasonwestmas
12-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Same here, couldn't open it with LW 7 or 8. The scene files should be cross platform. I've done it before :-/

randysolo
12-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Can you see the icon? But not open it? If this is the case, I'm using 7.5d. Could that be the issue? Maybe I can save it as version 7. Or, can I just upload the file without zipping it? I would really like to figure this out. OK, I found out that I must zip it. Here is another file. I think there was something wrong in the zipping process. Sorry for the confusion.

thanks again guys
randysolo

Red_Oddity
12-02-2005, 05:54 AM
Scene files ARE crossplatform (to a certain extend, this scene not, because the project dir was never set right as far as i can tell, all objects are refering to absolute directory positions)...seems like Stuffit killed that scene file (open it with Wordpad or Notepad and see what i mean)...the second scene works just fine.

jasonwestmas
12-02-2005, 10:50 PM
Ok I fixed it Randy ^.^ All you have to do is parent the Foot Roll bone to the Lower Leg Bone instead of the effector bone and it works. I've attached the fix.

randysolo
12-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks Jason,

I'll try it later today or tomorrow and let you know. I'm eager to animate this guy and see what else I can learn. I want to get LW9 when it's ready. Now I just need a killer machine to run it on. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if I'm successful or not. I may need more help.

thanks,

randysolo

spec24
12-03-2005, 01:50 PM
good luck with those feet. :)

randysolo
12-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who helped. I'm on my way to Pixar!! Well, not yet. Thanks Jason, you were right! After fixing it though, things still didn't work quite right. I animated the character but there were still problems with the rig. I'm not too sure about what I'm doing yet so I think it will just take time. I'm hopefully going to start character 2 from scratch and see if I have learned from my mistakes. If anyone is interested, I'll post a url for the walk cycle animation I created. It's pretty rough but my first attempt. I need to make the toes bend when he walks and move his head a little. Those feet are too short!!

thanks again,

Randysolo