PDA

View Full Version : Preview of Half-Life 2

mattclary
05-09-2003, 10:18 AM
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/e_halflife_2/

The second part of the character technology is those eyeballs, which are so fun to look at. The Valve guys loving to dig through that old research also came upon the knowledge that eyeballs are in fact complicated as it turns out. Surprise! Without really going over the boring details about human eyes, rest assured that Valve has taken information such as the shape of eyeballs, the focus points, the highlights and reflections and all that fun and wrapped it up and stuck it in the heads of all the characters with eyeballs in Half-Life 2. Itís really a bit shocking how much of a difference it makes when you see a character focus on you and track you with those eyes. It adds a whole new layer of depth to the characters. It made me giggle.

Rei
05-09-2003, 03:10 PM
I know, I read the Exclusive preview in PCZone (:D)

Not only does it have amazing chars, but its the first game to try, and sucede in implimenting Chaos theory into the physics engine. Cool or what?

Looks amazing, I cant wait to get it.

jin choung
05-09-2003, 03:10 PM
yup,

half-life 2 is my single most looked forward to game of 2003... heck, and this is a year that will have doom3, deus ex2, thief3 and many more excellent titles.

man, this is gonna be a good year....

jin

this week alone i'm in geek heaven: matrix reloaded, e3 and the new marvel super heroes role playing game book come out!!! woo hoo....

harhar
05-09-2003, 05:09 PM
choas thoery in Half-life engine? So they're going to integrate a pseudo random number generator?

Lamont
05-10-2003, 06:11 PM
I have Half Life and I never got past the part where things start to go wrong. I get bored after that. I am just not much of a PC gamer... I do own like 5 or 6 games thought, they were gifts or came with something I bought: Unreal 2k3, Half Life, Unreal, Deus EX, and some game I picked up at the Ichi Sen Yen shop when I was in Japan. You're this girl who has to sweep up leaves within a time limit while avoiding people and dogs/cats who will mess up the pile.

On the console side of things, it's looking good:

FF: Crystal Chronicals - GC
FF: Tactics - GBA
Soul Calibur - GC (for Link ^_^!)
S.O.C.O.M 2 - PS2
Castlevania: AOS - GBA
P.No 3 - GC
Ghost Recon - Xbox
Rebel Strike - GCN
Ico 2 - PS2
Viewtiful Joe - GC

I may get Half-Life 2 just to look at.

WizCraker
05-10-2003, 06:25 PM
I can't wait, First I'll beat the game in the first 24 hours then crack open the sdk and start a fresh mod.:D

Matt
05-11-2003, 07:53 AM
personally I prefer
Solider Of Fortune II Double Helix (http://www.sof2files.com/)

lone
05-11-2003, 01:55 PM
yeah, i liked Double Helix, too. got my butt kicked in the jungle, tho. been playing DEVASTATION the last week or so - UNREAL 2 graphics, excellent artwork, pretty decent, so far. PCGAMER has a large article previewing HALF-LIFE 2 - they said it's coming out in September. anybody playing POSTAL2?

Red_Oddity
05-13-2003, 04:27 AM
Am i the only one who thought Double Helix was a piece of overhyped ****e?...
Buggy game, crap level design, dumb AI system, dumb ghoul system (wow, now i shoot people to little bits...yawn...if only they added so much effort in gameplay and story it might have been worth something), and why oh why did they use that heap of junk slowdown Quake3:Arena engine...

Ahwell, waiting for Half-Life 2, but can't wait to get my grubby little hands on Thief3 : the Dark Age....

Lamont
05-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
Am i the only one who thought Double Helix was a piece of overhyped ****e?...Seems like it :).

Ijust D/L'ed the No one Lives Forever 2 demo, it seems like a fun game, chicks screaming and what-not.

Red_Oddity
05-14-2003, 03:29 AM
Hmmm...NOLF2...bought it the first day it came out, just because NOLF is one of the most fun FPS i ever played (definatly in my top 5 shooter list)....what a big big mistake...

They introduce this stupid experience system...the game is no fun...it seems rushed, only in the end of the game all of a sudden (when the game is finished really) characters start interacting and talking like they've just been through an incredible adventure together...WTF? did i miss something here???

NOLF2 pales in comparisment with the first one...But i did finish it because...well...i did pay the 50 euros for it (that's 50 US $$$)...never played it again (and to mention play NOLF1 every 6 months or so)

Ahwell, different folkes different strokes....Maybe you really like the game...

On a side note...Maybe the afore mentioned games are fun...but maybe only online...i barely play online, since i live in a province where one provider has the monopoly and is using that at its best extend to make a **** load of money (they have this FUP that allows me to use no more than 1.5GB a month in network traffic, and you should check just for fun how much online playing gobbles up from that...not to mention...i pay about 35 euros per month for that...which is a lot...especially for a service like that)

StevenDS
05-18-2003, 05:49 PM
I just got done viewing the 500 MB quicktime movie, demonstrating Half Life 2.

It shows a lot of the technology being used in the game.

Holy-Chr... um.... God help us all.

What is shown in this video is just... unbelievable.

I got the movie from this link, but it took a while for the download to actually start. I averaged about 200 down.

:eek: :eek:
http://www.nova-host.net/genmay/half_life_2_full_gsi.zip
:eek: :eek:

I hope, SO MUCH, that this game comes with an editor and that it will work with Lightwave.

-Steven

EDIT: I'm going to make this quicktime movie available to Kazaa right now.

Lamont
05-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I got that from Fileshack.com. Very cool.

jin choung
05-18-2003, 06:24 PM
the game will indeed ship with an editor. their engine is now called "SOURCE".

it seems that they're using softimage XSI to generate assets and animate etc.

don't hope for lw compatability. just buy milkshape3d.

they have not incorporated CHAOS THEORY (?!?!?!) for heavens sake! they're using a version of the HAVOC physics engine for things like rag doll and hard body dynamics but its a standard physics implementation.

who in their right mind would incorporate chaos theory into a system?! who would need to?! apart from the sound of it, you can have randomness without it.

we don't use most of even classical physics concepts (newton). not to mention relativity. don't even think about quantum. and such peripheral concepts like chaos theory is probably way way far from ever seeing any real implementation in computer games.

jin

dwburman
06-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Watching the ~500MB video got me thinking.

I'm just hoping the WildcatVP card I just bought will be compatible with the next generation of 3D stuff. I mean, look at what they can do real time now. It might not be too long before rendering will be reserved for more advanced effects (radiosity, SSS, etc) and surface baking. Of course, I don't have to worry about it until LW get some implementation that uses the programable shader tech of the new GFX cards.

Still, seeing the image quality of the HL2 demo is shocking, knowing it's all realtime, and at a higher than video screen resolution. Even if you use geometry that's too complex for real time, having hardware do the displacements and shading might just rock the render times... if it doesn't limit the look.

Of course, the video I have was taped off a projected image at a conference. It'll be interesting to see it on the small screen. After looking at the screenshots on shacknews, I'm a bit less impressed, I'm seeing how flat and low poly things are. Still, the shaders used in the tech demo part of the video make me think.

Matt
06-12-2003, 02:28 PM
I only play SOFII Double Helix on multiplayer, which is mucho fun!

Looking forward to these "next generation" games though!

-EsHrA-
06-13-2003, 03:05 AM
Im also really interrested in H2...the videos look really good...aah..those dynamics, interaction and sweeet gfx :)

anyways...

just to let u gamers know that there is a FREE version of Wolfenstein out called Enemy Territory...multiplayer...and its sweet.... frag on !!!

http://games.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/

Cheers,

-EsH-

99sproth
06-15-2003, 12:56 PM
I'd get the game just for the lip synching!!!!

Im dying to get the sdk. I've been modding halflife for over two years and I'm still amazed by the ai of the marines.

Does anyone want to help me mod for half life 2 in september/ october? When the game is out?

Have you seen the antlions? I think a starship troopers mod is just begging to be made.

simo

Lamont
06-15-2003, 12:59 PM
I am going to get HL2 only if there is some way to get my LW geometry into the engine.

99sproth
06-15-2003, 01:52 PM
"Life finds a way"

BoK
06-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Wolf ET > *

99sproth
06-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Its a shame there not going to be a single player game. I was looking forward to it. The game team was a great uk based company born from the modding community.

Rei
06-16-2003, 04:10 PM
I think HL 2 will support it nativly, its going to support one of the formats nativly, esp with the way UT and Doom are going. Milkshake would be the other way if it doesnt.