PDA

View Full Version : 3D Jobs Salary/Wages?

Nicolas Jordan
11-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Hi, I have been working hard in my spare time for the past few years trying to get a good handle on the art of 3D but patience and motivation is beginning to wear thin. I work a full time job and usaully dedicate at least 75% of any other time I have to my 3D work. I am looking for a job in 3D, sending out demo reels etc. I like 3D very much but I am starting to weigh things carefully because of the time investment this takes and the fact the at I dont like living in any large cities even if I like my job. Does anyone know how much the average 3D artist(entry level position) would take home per year in film/broadcast industry in a large city like Vancouver or L.A. considering the cost of living in these places in very high?

I am want to make a decision to continue to pursue this as a career or just do it as a hobby once in a while for fun.

jeremyhardin
11-30-2005, 07:33 PM
this issue had a very informative article about salary/hours/job security for 3d artists. i'm sure you can buy back issues...
http://www.computerarts.co.uk/about_us/latest_issue/3d_world_issue_64

and these pages have some games industry data too, which is applicable in some cases...
http://games.ign.com/articles/659/659458p1.html
http://games.ign.com/articles/662/662813p1.html

Nicolas Jordan
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the links, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Wonderpup
12-01-2005, 02:14 AM
Hi nj3Design,

Have you considered trying to get freelance work that you could do in that spare time? Working on real jobs instead of just training would help with the motivation, you'd be earning extra cash, and gaining experience and building a portfolio.

Nicolas Jordan
12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I would prefer freelance work anytime over working for a company, but it is hard to find any local freelance work because of the small size of the city of I live in(250,000 people) unless I try and find gigs online.

We do have a Sound Stage here now, so there have been more movies being shot here like Scarecrow. I have a freind that did the pre vis for Scarecrow but I think they ended up sending the CG work to Rainmaker in Vancouver. If only I could get a few shots from a film like that to work on..... :question:

Hoopti
12-02-2005, 02:52 AM
I would prefer freelance work anytime over working for a company, but it is hard to find any local freelance work because of the small size of the city of I live in(250,000 people) unless I try and find gigs online.

You didn't mention what areas you prefer to work around in 3d, but I actually live in a much much smaller community than that, and do well enough with freelance. Some places you may want to think about contacting to get some work:

1. Local TV stations, show them how you can do professional/quality broadcast graphics for their station so they don't have to either hire it out or have a staff person handle it. We do a great deal of that and it's quick and easy work. Also, gets your name known around. Careful of non-compete agreements since those would preclude you from working for another station. We do work for 3 in our area.

2. Contact every architect and interior designer in your area, and show them what you can do.

3. Make contact with local attorneys, including the local district attorney, and let them know of your services. We've completed a number of projects for court cases (both civil and criminal).

4. Make sure you contact the local cable company's advertising department. We did a "superhero" type character for a local dealership through an ad campaign our cable company had sold to the dealer. Was great for character work.

5. Along those same lines, make sure your local newspaper knows of your services. We've done some work to provide graphics to news articles about different subjects, where photos would be difficult or impossible to obtain.

The list goes on and on, but there are many areas that can use your services and will actually pay for them. Just think hard about what's in your area and what could work. If it could work, it's up to you to make it work.

Hope this helps.

jeremyhardin
12-02-2005, 09:44 AM
i've found the very same things hoopti, but i've never worded it so well before. excellent advice. this should be sticky, methinks.

Stooch
12-02-2005, 10:12 AM

We do have a Sound Stage here now, so there have been more movies being shot here like Scarecrow. I have a freind that did the pre vis for Scarecrow but I think they ended up sending the CG work to Rainmaker in Vancouver. If only I could get a few shots from a film like that to work on..... :question:

FREELANCE WORK IS THE KEY TO GETTING HIRED!

Thats my experience and im happy where i am, but it was all because of my freelance projects with deadlines and collaboration with real people that resulted in a nice project which impressed the right people. Doing this stuff in your spare time is great to learn the ropes, getting WORK that gets noticed is much easier and likely when you deal with a real production environment and deadlines.

Thanks http://www.gomadmonkey.com for the freelance project and helping me get where i am. I worked my *** off but it was a blast !

and i got the freelance job through networking, and i had to drive 1000 miles and stay with a friend to do it. But its so worth it.

and NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK! talk to 3d artists, even on these forums, on cgtalk, on highend3d, your peers in school, local 3D chapters, meet people! they might give you an opportunity!

Brian Arndt
12-02-2005, 03:55 PM
because of the small size of the city of I live in(250,000 people)

I grew up in a town of 600 people . 250k is NOT small :D

Nicolas Jordan
12-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the great advice and ideas Hoopti! I never thought of some of those before, and knowing that your getting freelance work in a smaller city inspires me to get out there and let the right people know about the services I can provide. I think your right Stooch, I need to get experience doing Freelance work. Thanks guys. :)