PDA

View Full Version : Toaster and DV100 24P mode

michael_ash
05-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi,
Any one know if the toaster will support The panasonci Dv100 24p frame mode?
I mean as far as editing and playback?

If you need some info here is a page of Links for the camera:

http://www.mycen.com.my/dv/dvx100links.html

Thanks,
mike

jcupp
05-09-2003, 11:05 PM
The VT supports 24 fps avi clips now by doing a realtime 3:2 pulldown during playback. I downloaded one of the sample clips found at your link (shortflight.mov) and it is actually a 29.97 fps clip (24 fps with a 3:2 pulldown) so once converted to an avi it plays as expected. So either way it works.

Jim Capillo
05-10-2003, 12:54 AM
The -100 actually has (2) 24p modes, one that does the pulldown, the other does not - it leaves it for the editing platform to perform. That's probably the question Michael is asking...... and as far as I know, it doesn't.

michael_ash
05-10-2003, 05:59 AM
Hi,
Actully I'm interested in the 24P Advanced mode.
This one does the 2;3 conversion on the fly.
What I'm doing is trying to get clean Plate shots for CGI stuff. The end result will be a regular video output.
The camera only does NTSC Resolution.
If you wanted to go to film output you would have to use a High Def camera like a Sony CineAlta or the Panasonic VariCam.

Since I'm only grabing plates with out sound I'm not worried about lost frames or audio getting out of sync.
I'm going to be repocessing everything through Digital Fusion or After effects anyway.
I downloded a demo of In-syncs Blade 2.1. This wil let you grab the frames from the camera via firewire and still maintain the 24P mode.

Mike

jcupp
05-10-2003, 08:07 AM
If you get true 24 fps AVIs into the computer, however that happens with the camcorder the VT will play them back perfectly with a VT created real-time 3:2 pull down. I have done this with animation files created in LW. If you need to output 24 fps (to go back to film etc) you need to render your timeline to a 24 fps AVI.