PDA

View Full Version : Why is a subd model slower in modeler?

kylekoch
11-30-2005, 06:04 AM
Hi all, Im a little hazy still on how subd objects are treated in modeler as opposed to layout. eg- I pulled in a complex robot model that was in subd mode(into modeler), and was very slow to manipulate in texture wire mode, long delays. Same model in layout was easily spun around etc. very fast, no delay. Can someone explain the difference in how they respond? I have a
ATI x700 with 250 megs video ram, 2 gigs ram, 3 gig p4.
thanx much all
kyle

simonbrewer
11-30-2005, 06:24 AM
Hazarding a guess I would say that in Modeler, you have your subdivison settings set at something like 6, while in Layout it normally defaults to 3. Therefore, Modeler is having to move a whole lot more geometry around. Change your sub-d options in Modeler to 3 and see what happens.

Simon

mattclary
11-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Because the OpenGL implementation is better in layout.

kylekoch
11-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Ah!! I suspected this, Does that mean in 9 that maybe it will be improved? I think my card supports all the ogl bells and whistles. Its hard to get used to the idea that there are 2 separate progs here
Thx much
kyle

mkiii
11-30-2005, 09:31 AM
According to official reports - no it will not be improved in modeler for V9.0

BazC
12-01-2005, 02:14 AM
According to official reports - no it will not be improved in modeler for V9.0

Really? Not doubting you but can you point me to a post that says this? I got the impression that LW9 OGL was going to be much better! - Baz

mkiii
12-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks Harold. That was exactly the post that I remember seeing.

BazC: I was under the impression from pre release info, that 8.5 modeler OGL was going to be better.

Still. I now have Modo & a copy of Silo for good measure to keep me going until LW modeler is sorted out... Maybe V10 or 11 eh.

mattclary
12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
I read somewhere that the reason Modeler is taking longer is because you can "do" more things in modeler. You have to account for selecting points and such, which doesn't happen in Layout, so OpenGL implemamtation is different in the two. I suspect that they are working on speeding modeler up while also working on allowing point selections in Layout.

ACLOBO
12-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Also,

Modeler and Layout were written but different people. The openGL implementation is different.

-Adrian