PDA

View Full Version : How to merge loads of little objects into one ?

F1Racer
11-30-2005, 03:42 AM
Hi

I have a LWS file that contains 3000 little objects. Each object has a low polygon count.

Some might know of this from using MLCad and LDRAW2LWS. I was converting a lego object to Lightwave.

The result of this is that you get a scene file and tonnes of objects (each representing 1 piece of the object).

LW take ages to load in such a scene.

As the models seperately are small I would like to merge them all into 1 object in modeler.
It seems there is no easy way to do this.

Load Objects from Scene fails because it crashes Modeler (maybe the sheer amount of 3192 objects is too much for this plugin.

Load Objects into Layer works but has no multiselect so it would mean loading each object individually. Yikes.

I looked on flay for something but it only turned up the plugins I already had.

Is there any other way ?

Thanks

F1Racer
12-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Problem solved.

Thank you Okino Polytrans ! Loaded the 3192 LW objects in about 10secs and saved them out at a single object. Beautiful.
Makes me even more pleased that I bought it.

LW on the other hand took ages and crashed abou halfway through after telling me the object limit was reached. :(
Looks like Polytrans handled the LW objects better than LW did :(

SlipperyPenguin
12-02-2005, 05:35 AM
F1Racer..

How did you do this as I too use exactly the same thing and have the same problem (loads of individual objects that take forever to load and move about in the modeller etc..)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Slippery

Dodgy
12-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Could you load them into one scene, then use the
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1760

plugin to merge them into one?

F1Racer
12-02-2005, 10:09 AM
No Dodgy, if you read my post I stated that the 'Load Obects into Scene' plugin (actually an LS script I think) isnt workable because you cannot multiselect objects.
Selecting 3000 objects one by one is not something I want to do.
If I knew LScript I would write a script to select a folder, then load all the objects in that folder into a single layer in modeler.

SlipperyPenguin,

I used Okino Polytrans to make this possible.
However in my case, with the Lego objects, when I exported using the LDraw2LWS plugin, it creates a Lightwave Scene and each object individually (3000 of them).
Obviously the scene loads up the objects and positions them all the the correct place.

So all I did is load up the scene in Polytrans and re-export it but remembering to select the 'Write polygons to a single .lwo object' function.

That was that.

But you dont need a scene file because Polytrans DOES allow multiselect so you can import all your objects in one go and very quickly too.
Then just save out as a single object.

walfridson
12-02-2005, 10:19 AM
edit .. nevermind..

Dodgy
12-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, I'm not sure you understood my post. I opened the Load object dialogue in layout and multi selected a load of objects, then pressed okay and Layout loaded them all. You can then save them out as a scene file and use the plugin I pointed you to to load all those objects into modeler as one object.

Bill Carey
12-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the pointer to that plugin dodgy, gives me hope of using a couple of those .fbx files that come in a million pieces.

SlipperyPenguin
12-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Thank you everyone..

A couple of options I need to try then.

Thanks again

Slippery