PDA

View Full Version : Mother earth...

norlight
11-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi there!

Ive got on upcoming project where I need to fly over the earth all the way from Asia, through Europe and over to USA.

This needs to be of good enough resolution that you can see major landscape features clearly, ie valleys/fjords etc.

I was thinking to somehow get hold of a map and texture this to a 3D sphere in LW. The sphere should preferably have true terrain bumps of major terrain features.

Anybody know where maps and/or 3D data for such stuff could be found/purchased?

Ive tried googling it without finding anything relevant.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thomas
11-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Here you go http://gw.marketingden.com/planets/planets.html.

Available in up to 10k resolution but I'm not sure if you can settle with that.

Worked for me in a project once...

PS Har ni ftt mycket sn n? :)

Regards
Thomas

Lightwolf
11-30-2005, 02:55 AM
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

Available at 86400x43200 (500m/pixel) - roughly 10GB uncompressed.

Cheers,
Mike

DiscoBurgess
11-30-2005, 03:46 AM
And, in case anyone was unsure, here's Nasa's very generous image use policy:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html

Free to use for purpose that include commercial, as long as you don't make out that NASA HEARTILY ENDORSES THIS EVENT OR PRODUCT.

norlight
11-30-2005, 04:38 AM
Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot for the pointers!

Ill have to spend some time looking into the options and probably do some experimentation before I know whatll work.

Somehow it seems that getting hold of good map imagery for different purposes is not as easy as it first appears to be...

Youve been most helpful!

And Thomas; de siste 3 dagene har det kommet ca 50 cm!!! Storlien next :)

Meaty
12-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Lightwolf (or anyone), What does one do with a .bin file? (that big image you mentioned is .bin).
thanks

Lightwolf
12-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Lightwolf (or anyone), What does one do with a .bin file? (that big image you mentioned is .bin).
thanks
Well, since this is GIS data, I'df assume this is RAW, uncompressed imagery (i.e. just a dump of RGB values). You'll probably need some specialized tool to open it (due to the size).
_But_ you can get ECW compressed versions at www.geotorrent.org, you would need infiniMap to render it though (the 500m Blue Marble textures are 10GB in size... uncompressed).

Direct link: http://www.geotorrent.org/details.php?id=59

Cheers,
Mike

toby
12-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Hey I didn't realize your plug-in did that, that's bada$$. How many different images can you use the plug-in with?

Lightwolf
12-07-2005, 03:28 AM
Hey I didn't realize your plug-in did that, that's bada$$. How many different images can you use the plug-in with?
Hehe... amount of images? I've yet to hit a limit... while rendering it really depends on how much of each image is visible. You can also select different channels of images only (i.e. Red only) ... the same image can be used multiple times and uses a shared RAM buffer as well.
As for the amount of image formats: 2 at the moment, JPEG2000 and ECW.

Cheers,
Mike

toby
12-07-2005, 10:48 PM
So could you use it with 100 images? Do you apply it to each image or select each image from within the plugin?

Can it be used with a farm?

Sorry if I'm nagging ;D

Lightwolf
12-08-2005, 04:16 AM
Hi toby

So could you use it with 100 images? Do you apply it to each image or select each image from within the plugin?

You select each image from within the plugin.
The images are stored in a global list (just like LW images) so you can re-use an image used by another plugin. They will even share cache memory.
You can also select which channel (i.e. RGBA, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Alpha, Luminance etc...) of the image you want to use for the current plugin.
I've yet to find a limit for the number of images... There is no hard-coded limit.

Can it be used with a farm?
Well of course. Can be and has been used in a farm and in production by our trusty beta testers.
Did I mention that render only plugins are free?
...and that you can load, save and render a scene/object created with the Pro version on another LW installation that only has the unregistered version installed? (You just can't edit any of the settings).

Sorry if I'm nagging ;D
You're not, you're asking sensible questions :D
... and I'm here to answer them ;)

Cheers,
Mike

toby
12-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi toby

You select each image from within the plugin.Sweet!

The images are stored in a global list (just like LW images) so you can re-use an image used by another plugin. They will even share cache memory.
You can also select which channel (i.e. RGBA, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Alpha, Luminance etc...) of the image you want to use for the current plugin.
Sweet

Can be and has been used in a farm and in production by our trusty beta testers.
Sweet

Did I mention that render only plugins are free?Sweet

...and that you can load, save and render a scene/object created with the Pro version on another LW installation that only has the unregistered version installed? (You just can't edit any of the settings).Sweet

One last question, posed by a co-worker today - in what way is the demo crippled? He doesn't want to register and give up all his info to find out he can't really put it to the test.

Lightwolf
12-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Hi toby

Sweet!SweetSweetSweetSweet

...that's how the board quoted you ;)

One last question, posed by a co-worker today - in what way is the demo crippled? He doesn't want to register and give up all his info to find out he can't really put it to the test.
I would not call it a demo, more like a free, light version.
It only supports planar mapping and you can only edit settings on the shader. (the controls in the procedural are not shown).
You can use it in production if you want though (after all, the free LE version that has been used in production provided nothing more either), and he can check out the manual as well as the two tutorials too.

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. All the info he'd be giving up would be a valid e-mail adress. ...and we don't sell those, nor do we spam ;)