PDA

View Full Version : Radeon X800 - no performance boost?

modernpixel
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi all,
I just bought and installed a Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition video card. I was expecting a big performance boost from it, especially in Lightwave, but my performance is exactly the same.

Wondering how others have faired with this card. What kind, if any, of performance boosting should I be expecting from a video card? I assumed that rendering would be faster, along with faster viewing capabilities with more complex scenes.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

meanlebh
11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
well i can't speak for the card, because i don't own it, nor have i ever used it...but as for your rendering being faster, this would not be the case because the graphics card has nothing at all to do with rendering, rendering is done entirely by the cpu.....the graphics card is really only used for open gl issues with lightwave...what was your previous card? i am surprised that you see no boost at all...but i guess that it all depends on what kind of card you are replacing.....

modernpixel
11-29-2005, 09:04 PM
It was a low-end ATI, whatever the stock card is that shipped with the original Dual 2.0 G5. What kind of card do you use?

Captain Obvious
11-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Lightwave uses non-standard OpenGL, and doesn't really take much advantage of the video card on a Mac. It's unfortunate.

Darth Mole
11-30-2005, 01:51 AM
I upgraded from a 9800 to the X800 and didn't see much benefit either - and that's pretty much across the board: LW, C4D, etc. Some games run faster/smoother but it's not THAT noticeable. I wonder if Apple's OGL impementation is to blame? Perhaps there are bottle necks elsewhere in the system...

Captain Obvious
11-30-2005, 02:16 AM
I noticed a huge difference in games when I (well, technically it wasn't me, since it's not technically my computer) upgraded from a 9600 to a 9800. I guess it's your CPU or something holding your performance back in things that are actually video card accelerated.