PDA

View Full Version : the 3D life is good

sadkkf
11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Not long ago, I was stuck at a red light next to a giant SUV and peeked inside. That thing had just about every gadget you can imagine. I was watching the on-dash GPS and began to think how much cars have changed over the years and how much you really get with base models today versus only a few years ago.

This eventually led me to think how much LightWave has changed since my first install (5.0). It's base model comes with lots of great features and the same goes for most of the other major 3D apps. Without starting a brand war, all of them really offer some pretty high-end features right out of the box. Even the shareware and freebie apps have lots to offer.

Overall, it's a pretty good time for us 3D types, I think. New freeware and shareware apps are available like never before for things only a few years ago we'd never have considered. Things like HDRI, character rigging, modeling, dynamics and more.

It's pretty safe to assume, I think, this trend will continue. Perhaps we'll see a shakeup in the industry and some apps will fall off the radar as the bigger ones implement the features of the smaller ones with greater efficiency. I remember a time when fire and water were all the rage; lately it seems to be cloth and photorealistic characters.

What does everyone else think the next big thing might be or what other speculation does anyone have about the future?

randysolo
11-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I think that unless the big guys really do a good.... no wait.... a GREAT job at convincing 3Ders to stay with or migrate to their app, there's going to be a handfull of smaller guys that will figure out a better way of doing things at a much cheaper price. I've invested quite a bit of time and money in 3D over the years and will continue to do so because I love it and I am one of the LW faithful. But I do keep a close eye on smaller and very much capable apps. I think LW is doing the same!

know where I can get some good tips on animation?....

later,

Powersolo