PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling Bottom Scores

Wizzler
11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Is it possible for Tricaster to utilize a scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen for updates of news, scores etc. We broadcast sports event's and want to utilize a ticker at the bottom of the screen. Does anyone know if this is possible? if so how do we go about doing this or will this be a feature available in the future.

Thank you.

Wizzler
12-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Just in case anyone else is intrested.

Hello XXXXXXX
This has been be requested as a feature however at the moment the only way for setting this up would be to use the keyer to create a scrolling video clip then key out the back ground so that it overlays on a video signal.

Donny Oropeza
NewTek Tech Support

Ahmed
12-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Hi Wizzler,

As of now, the TriCaster is not able to do it. We we do is use another software called Scala InfoChannel Designer 3 (www.scala.com) on a different PC. This software is able to do such tricks with a bit of programming. We then use the iVGA to keyout the black or blue background from the PC that is running Scala. You do need a PC with a good graphic card for the scrolling to be smooth as the iVGA does tax the GPU cycle.

Wizzler
12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the help sir. We have went ahead and purchased a VT4. From what we understand the VT4 will allow us to do that and many more other options.

Ahmed
12-05-2005, 03:52 PM
BTW, if you are running the VT[4] then it is possible to display newsfeed (RSS FEED) and other information such as Scoreboard using a tool from youngmonkey called Data Overlayer. Here is the url, and check the tools out. http://www.youngmonkey.ca/hands/index.html

Cineman
12-07-2005, 11:49 AM
We have went ahead and purchased a VT4. From what we understand the VT4 will allow us to do that and many more other options.
Gee Wizzler,

I have been live switching with VT since 2001 and TriCaster since the dealer demonstrator units came out. I no more believe that what you described above (quoted below) can be done on a VT, than it can be done on a TriCaster. Either can do a nice job for the use you need but neither will do what you describe, AFIK.

Once you have your VT setup and doing what you describe, would you remember us here, and report how you did it.

Thanks,

Nes Gurley

Is it possible for Tricaster to utilize a scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen for updates of news, scores etc. We broadcast sports event's and want to utilize a ticker at the bottom of the screen.

Wizzler
12-29-2005, 02:57 PM
We were successfully able to do a scrolling bar at the bottom of our screen using the VT4. We had to purchase a VT4 because our tri-caster had to be shipped to China for another event we were covering.

I do not know all of the steps and I will come back with them but I do remember using the CG screen to create and run the bottom scroll.

Cineman
12-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi Wizzler,

Thanks for getting back, and hope you will again when you can explain how you did this on VT[4]. Or you could private message or E-mail me at [email protected] if you don't think others would be interested.

Like you, I have both TriCaster and VT[4'5]. I was struggling before as to some way to tell you how to do what you wanted with TriCaster. I came up with several alternatives that I thought would do the job nicely on TC, but never exactly what you asked. From that I started thinking how I would do exactly what you wanted on VT, so that I might spin-off. I couldn't even figure out how to do exactly what you wanted with that either, and so I asked that you get back.

Thanks,

Nes Gurley

Wizzler
12-29-2005, 04:24 PM
No problem, as I understand it is a P.I.T.A. to get it to work in VT4 but it does and quite nicely. Marcus has found the way to do it and at first it seemed a little to big for my taste but I am not sure if the bold or size of the letters can be toned down. Once I have the info I will post here.

donny
01-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Hello Donny with NewTek Tech Support. I saw some request to see how to create a Ticker in the VT4.6 so thought I would write up a quick tutorial. This is just a rough draft so I will update it at a later time.

1 We are going to start by opening up a CG Designer and under Output select the "Out to Switcher".

2 Next we will want to open up a VT Vision so we can see what our Ticker is going to look like on the program out.

3 Now go ahead and open up the switcher and set the Downstream Key to CG and turn on the DSK.

4 If you happen to have a deck or camera connected you will want to select the input on the switcher so we have a video source to overlay onto(DDR will work as well).Insert image01

5 Now back to CG Desinger.

6 Once you have a blank page selected you will want to change the Page Type to "Crawl Page".

7 Most Tickers are usually over a small background so that you can see them over any video that may come on screen. Go to the draw tab and select the Filled Rectangle tool and draw out a Rectangle on the bottom of the screen from the left to right. Make sure that you are outside the safe area on both the left and the right.(If your safe area is not on goto the view tab and under display select "Safe Area").

8 Select the Arror(Selection Tool) and left click on your box so that it is selected. Choose Color from the tool bar on the left which will open up the color picker. Once you have chosen your color go ahead and select close.I have chosen blue.

9 We also want this box to stay stationary when the Ticker is scrolling by so on the "Text" tab choose "Lock Item Posistion".Insert image02

10 You are now ready for some text goto the "Text" tab and choose "Text Tool"(T). If you know what font you would like to use you can change it under the "Text" tab at the bottom. For this example I will be using Arial. Go ahead and select the color of your text as well by choosing color from the tool bar on the left which will open up the color picker. Once you have chosen your color go ahead and select close.

11 You will want to start your text on the Right side of the Window if you would like the Text to come in after the background is already on the screen Left click on the Right side of the screen and go ahead and start typing your text "VT[4] is designed for the video producer that wants to expand their services without breaking the bank". If you need to move your text over more you can use the "Arrow" to select the text and move it more off screen to the right this will also allow you two adjust the size of your text. Also check the "Text" tab and make sure that "Lock Item Posistion" is not selected .Insert image03

12 To give our Ticker its motion we will want to go to the "Motion" tab. Make sure that the Scroll Left is selected, choose "End Behavior" to loop and change the speed to 10 using the Presets. Make sure you slider is under the box that you created since it will use this as the starting frame in CG Designer.

13 Lastly go ahead and hit play to see the final Ticker on your VT Vision.Insert image04

Cineman
01-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi Donny,

Quite a tutorial you have there on doing a crawl in VT4.6, but Wizzler was insisting on doing a scroll. You do realize that doing a live ticker crawl in TriCaster would be ultimately simple, not nearly as complicated as what you have described for VT?

Nes Gurley

donny
01-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes you could setup a scroll however to overlay that onto live video would require the use of the keyer since the overlays do not use motion.NewTek is always working on getting more tutorials on the web if you have one that you would like to submit.

Cineman
01-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Again, the problem was that Wizzler required a scrolling ticker. The wall I hit, both with TriCaster and VT, was how to end the scroll at the ticker and not have it continue to scroll up over the camera shot above it.

The only thing that I could think of would be a mixed effect in VT with an upstream key for the ticker bar. Both Mix/Effects, and upstream key are long standing feature requests that I have had for VT.

Nes Gurley

donny
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
What I did for TriCaster is create a project using 3 layers. First layer was a cg still page and was the just a box with the color I wanted my text to appear over. The second layer was my crawl page with my text. The last page was another still page which I used as a mask. It was basically was just two black boxes one on the top portion of the screen and one on the bottom portion with a break in the middle where the text would show. Then rendered it out as a avi and then did a Luma Key for black. There maybe another way to do this. You could also do this in VT4.6