PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mentor

Barry Oborne
11-29-2005, 01:13 AM
Greeting from South India,
My name is Barry Oborne, I'm an American working as an English editor for a television station here in Kerala south India. To my dispar no one here works in LightWave everyone uses Maya or 3DMax. I recently took an intensive animation class in Maya and now I can us it reasonably well. But my heart belongs to LightWave I fell in love with LW sveral years ago and never been the same since. I just love LightWave it is as simple as that. At this point I'm working fairly well as a character animator, but I have no one to help with questions that come up. The biggest question I have at the moment is "How does one animate to sound ie lip sync in LW. " In Maya you can import a soun file and work out the time on a time line, but I have no idea how to do it in LW, so how do people go about animating with sound? I can't get books here in India and they are too expensive for me anyway at this point. So if there is anyone out there that would like to help a lonely LightWave guy :confused: it would be a thrill just to connect.This is a message in a cyber bottle. Thanks for listening
Barry

Demon
11-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi,

well u can easyly import a soundfile in LW and syncronize ur lip anim on that. just go to the scene editor and there is a tab with soundfile. i have done that a long time agao and have to look it up myself, but as i remember there is that tab with audio --> import soundfile. that u can see in the animtab in layouter and then u hear the sound by pulling the frameslider. Hope that helps

cheers,

Demon

SplineGod
11-29-2005, 01:54 AM
You can do the same in LW. Just load in your wav file in the scene editor and you can start syncing to it. :)

cresshead
11-29-2005, 12:48 PM
if you need to create a lot of lip sysnc animation you should have a lookinto getting mimic for lightwave...it's a plugin that automates quite a bit of the task for you....

Barry Oborne
12-02-2005, 03:43 AM
Larry,
Thanks a lot I knew there had to be a way. Here is another question you might be able to answer. What format of ESP files does LightWave like? I get very strange results using a newer version of Illustrator esp.

Barry Oborne
12-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Demon,
Thank you I'm delighted several good people in the LightWave community were very quick with the solution. Now I don't feel so LightWave lonely.
Barry

operation
12-02-2005, 10:58 AM
hi,

Save your Eps file in an older version ( Illustartor vers 7 or under ... ).
and of course check if your vector shape are correctly drawn in Illustrator ( overlaping edge ... or bad boolean ....

cheers!

Silkrooster
12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I recommend using ai over eps because I have found files that import as 2point polys as eps and a single polygon as ai.
Silk

Nigel Baker
12-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Hello Barry,

We are all with you.
As for the Illustrator file, when you are saving as or exporting the eps.
Use the Illustrator Legacey file and save as version 8 or lower only.

Barry Oborne
12-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Nigel,
Am I really chatting with a guy from Ireland, land of my dreams?
I from Irish stock but have never visited the home land.
I dream of the Emerald Isle, since I'm always too hot here.
Thanks for the information on eps. I'm very interested in hand drawn rendering techniques. I have been doing some reseach on the subject trying to down load trial plug ins and the like. I seem to be able to"think" in LW much better than anyother program. It could be just because I've kicked around it in for years. I recognize the power of Maya but it just doesn't feel the same as Lw :lightwave , if you know what I mean. Anyway many thanks for connection. It really does mean a lot to me.
Barry

Barry Oborne
12-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Silk, Its good to know that Lw will import an ai file. I use Illustrator mainly
for the pen tool design stuff and of course the text effects. Your web site is cool. I goofed up in my registration and forgot my pass word, so I had to try again, my memory seems to be slipping. Thanks again for making me feel welcome the last two yaers have been LightWave lonley years.

Barry
the Lone Lightwaver of Kerala

Nigel Baker
12-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Hello Barry,

Yes indeed you are chatting to someone in Ireland, and I am still here.
Glad to be of help, just keep posting and hanging around, there is always someone in here who will help you out.

If you ever need a sod of turf or a bottle of cold tea, just let me know and drop me a line.

spigolo
12-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Larry,

i'm just syncronizing some endomorph (mouth open-mouth close) for a cartoon and I'm using the audio tools included in lightwave..
The audio channel modifier in the graph editor works very well, but if you take it's output it will make you a very nervous moviment. But if you bake the curve and then reduce the keys with the key reduction tool (be careful to the treshold, we used .5) and apply a spline tcb to the curve you will get a good smooth moviment that will follow the audio sync very well..

Barry Oborne
12-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Spigolo,
Thanks for the tip. Baking is new to me and can't say I really understand the concept. I hade the oportunity tto visit your country several years ago and it was the best. The nicest most helpful people I've ever met. It is such a turn on for me to be talking with folks in the LightWve community again. Again thanks. I hope that you get to got to big screen movies over here in the city I'm in there is only one. I'm very excited about the new King Kong coming out. The first King Kong by Willis O'brian was the film that sparted my passion for 3D. Good luck in what ever you do. : :lightwave
Barry

spigolo
12-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Barry,
thanks for the nice words about my country,
Baking is the process to freeze a motion curve plotting a keyframe every frame and then you may reduce them with the tools that you may find on the graph editor..

good luck

Barry Oborne
12-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Spigolo,
This sounds pretty silly I know but I can't figure out how one
goes about posting a new thread on the forum. I tired FAQ but there is nothing on new thread ie questions. Also do you do any animation requiring IK chains, I'm quite solid in the theory I have bulit many in Maya but LW haven't done yet is it easy?
Barry

SplineGod
12-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Creating IK chains in LW is pretty straighforward. One thing I like is that the IK is per channel :)

Barry Oborne
12-12-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by per channel. thanks you listening
is the model of gollum on your icon one you made in LW? :thumbsup:

toby
12-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi Barry! What took you so long? :) This is a great place, I expect to see you around often.

Larry means that you can assign IK to just the pitch or just heading etc.

We expect you to do some converting while you're there! All those Max users especially need your help to find a program they can actually enjoy.

Barry Oborne
12-12-2005, 02:11 AM
toby,
You will see me now that I've got the hang of it. and the station i\I'm working for has finally gotten around to putting me on line. Converting Max user's what can I say. I have never used Max I took one look and didn't like the layout of it. I started using Maya here to see if I could get along with some of the other people working in it, the long and the short of it is that it is
just not as much fun as LW :I_Love_Ne is. I do very simple things coming from a generation in fluenced by the Ray Harihousen and Willis O'Brian and the original Pupatoons I saw LightWave as a way to get right into 3D character animation without all the other equipment. Thanks for the tip on IK. I still have the standing question of how does one post a new thread so I can ask the general community for help. Can't be that hard. good luck with your work.
Barry

SplineGod
12-12-2005, 02:23 AM
You would go into the forum you want to post into a click on the 'New Thread' button