PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie~ and hardware question

DrTWT
11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Hello all,

I've been lurking for sometime and have really enjoyed the posts, the tips, and especially the renders and the wires; very inspirational.

I'm relatively new to Lightwave, have been through the Alban book, and have done quite a bit of web tutorials. I have a long way to go and am looking forward to being a part of this community. I am an emergency physician by trade, but on the side I am developing several educational programs using 3D animation, and have found that I enjoy creating the CG more than anything else.

I do have a hardware question~ I am currently running a dual opteron system with 2GB of RAM, and thinking of moving up to Windows 64 and the LW 64. To see a significant increase in performance, how what else do I need to do-- mainly, how much additional RAM is needed to make the whole effort worthwhile??

TIA, and looking forward to hanging out here...

T

Silkrooster
11-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the community. You are in a great position, knowing what all the medical equipment looks like, the access you have to photo the equipment assuming your boss doesn't catch wind. :hey: Access to anatomy books (but then I am quite sure you have studied those for a couple of hours. :D ).
As far your system goes, if you can afford to, max out the amount of ram you can put in it. Also make sure you have a video card that can support OpenGL version 2.0. If you can do those two things, you will be glad you did.
Silk

Captain Obvious
11-28-2005, 11:23 PM
64-bit Lightwave doesn't have better performance than 32-bit Lightwave. The difference between the two is that the 64-bit version can handle more data in a scene without choking, provided you actually have the required RAM. If you've never had Lightwave run out of RAM, going to the 64-bit version won't really do much good.

DogBoy
11-29-2005, 02:51 AM
:agree: plus, almost NO 3rd party plugins work wi' the 64bit implementation, so I'd steer clear of it for now. Trust me, there are shed-loads of free plug-ins out there to make things easy for you, don't limit yourself by using the 64bit (for now ;) )

Dan

DrTWT
11-29-2005, 06:54 AM
OK, thanks for the advice.

My work doesn't involve extremely complex scenes, we try to keep things as simple as possible (see attached) so as not to confuse the educational message we are trying to deliver. I was hoping to get faster rendering times by going 64-bit, not necessarily increasing complexity of the scenes. Will 64-bit with boatloads of RAM significantly decrease rendering times?

T
:newhere:

mattclary
11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
OK, thanks for the advice.
Will 64-bit with boatloads of RAM significantly decrease rendering times?

I have seen at least one person around here report faster times with LW64, even with relatively simple scenes, but I don't know if it's worth the effort. Looking at that image, I don't imagine the render time was all that high. If you want to increase render speed, especially for simple stuff, you might want to consider getting F-Prime.

Captain Obvious
11-29-2005, 09:26 AM
The 64-bit version will not decrease the render times significantly in any scene. The difference is just how complex scenes it can handle. A scene the current Lightwave can render, a 64-bit Lightwave won't render any better. Like I said earlier, you only really notice a difference if you push Lightwave beyond what the 32-bit version can do. Unless you're rendering hundreds of millions of polygons (or however much the current Lightwave can't handle), a 64-bit version isn't really for you.

mattclary
11-29-2005, 09:38 AM
The 64-bit version will not decrease the render times significantly in any scene.

I agree in theory. Can't remember who posted their render times, but it was someone I trusted not to blow smoke up our butts.

DrTWT
11-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Capt O and Matt--

Thanks so much for the info... you have just spared me a major hassle of trying to go 64. I don't have Fprime, but after spending some time in other posts and the worley site, it certainly seems to be a much better solution for my needs.

:thumbsup:

Captain Obvious
11-29-2005, 10:54 AM
I agree in theory. Can't remember who posted their render times, but it was someone I trusted not to blow smoke up our butts.
Well, there are probably a few things that will become faster with the 64-bit version. I just don't know what... :p

GwynneR
11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I've had mixed results some scenes render slightly faster, some slightly slower, but the difference hasn't really been anything to write home about. DrT, do you have FPrime?If not, that would be the way to go.