PDA

View Full Version : need HPB rotation angles in finer increments

metallo
11-28-2005, 01:54 PM
i am trying to figure out something simple with rotating things by means of dragging with the mouse. in this particular instance, i'm positioning the camera down to .01 degree increments and each frame is adjusted the long hard way of typing in the numbers. can i make layout use a 0.1 or 0.01 degree resolution when dragging, instead of a clunky 0.2 degrees? this would be similar to how when you change grid size while dragging, you can move fast or slow depending on grid dimension.

incidentally, what i am doing is matching camera movement to a video using references on the movie image backdrop and references in the lightwave world. this is something we do every now and then, but not all the time. are there any affordable automated software packages to do this? this is not motion tracking as we are working with basic video images and going back in time to recreate the motion of the camera person (including zoom) and then animate objects in the scene to match objects in the video.

mac version 8.5 in use here

thanks in advance

RedBull
11-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure, but wouldn't the mouse increments, be set by the OS....
(or the mouse driver)

In windows, i can specify how many clicks etc, a click is....
I also use a Wacom tablet, so again i can control it from the Wacom software.

As for part 2-
That still sounds like tracking to me, or matchmoving.
DF, AFX, or Maybe SynthEyes for matchmoving..... (tracking)

metallo
11-28-2005, 03:18 PM
no, definitely not the mouse resolution in the OS. even moving one pixel with the mouse will increment rotation by .2 degrees. whereas with position XYZ i can move things as fine or as coarse as i want by simply changing the grid, and even do so during the move, which is handy for roughing things in and then detailing all in one swoop.

part 2 of question: ah ha, matchmoving, that is the keyword i was looking for. our video doesn't have tracking dots or anything because this is all after the fact re-construction. i'll do some googling on that and see what i find.

Red_Oddity
11-29-2005, 06:36 AM
Yup, Boujou can handle scenes like that SOMETIMES (don't believe the hype...you have no idea i often i've been pulling out my hairs while screaming at the monitor, hoping Boujou will understand me, but somehow i doubt it.)

metallo
04-18-2007, 02:08 PM
i hate to bring up the subject again, but i would really like to be able to use finer increments when positioning with the mouse, any ideas anyone? the problem isn't a "problem" when positioning in XYZ, just in rotation. would like to get down to the .01 increment on mouse movements. this would save an enormous amount of time on certain projects!

Surrealist.
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
A simple solution I think would be to create 3 simple expressions for a null's XYZ channels.

This would give you actually .0001 accuracy on the rotation that would display as .01 accuracy for the camera. Bu the numbers will be the same. So a rotation of 100.01 degress would be a move of 100.0100 on which ever direction of the null.

So you could set it up:

X= heading
Y= bank
Z = pitch

or anything you like.

To set it up it is simple.

With the camera selected. In the graph editor select the expressions tab and select new.

Now open up the null's three move channels in the channel bin.

Right click on a channel and select append to expression. (Make sure and delete the word "Value" from the line so all you have is [Null.Position.X]

That's all you need. Give the expression a name such as camera heading.

then bring up the camera's heading channel in the bin and select it then hit apply.

Create two more new expressions for the other channels using the null's other move channels- don't forget to select "new" for each and apply them to the camera's other rotate channels.

This will give you extremely fine control of rotation and the numbers will match.

You can probably go as far as setting up sliders and proxy objects and so on but this is a very elegant and simple solution.

omeone
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
how about editing the rotations in the Graph editor, you can zoooom right in there and get tiny adjustments

Red_Oddity
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
It would be great indeed to have a multiplier on the increments that can be made larger or smaller with a simple key press like we can do with the grid.

metallo
04-18-2007, 03:26 PM
the original problem is that i'm aiming a camera in HPB all at once, of course you can easily do heading and pitch, then hold down your special hotkey to grab the bank channel....it's an easy process is my point (graph editor is a bit more cumbersome).

the relations attack is indeed a good idea and would be the most suited work around, i hadn't before thought it was worth it for the extra work of creating the relations. that's just plain lazy on my part i suppose. dive in and do what it takes.

as red oddity suggests, hopefully we'll get a hotkey to affect rotation increments in the future.

omeone
04-18-2007, 05:28 PM
yeah, it would be a great addition. Speed Edit has it, which is a totally useless contribution on my part... um