PDA

View Full Version : Locking Object in Layout

kevinmcpoland
11-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I have a few objects in layout, including nulls. My camera and lights are attached to one of the nulls, but what is slightly dampening my workflow is that if I click in any of the viewports, another object is selected when I only want to be able to move/rotate my one control null (hope that makes sense!)

Is there anyway to lock items in the viewports so they can't be selected?

Thank,

Kev McP

kevinmcpoland
11-28-2005, 01:25 PM
...Don't worry about it...made friends with the Classic Scene Editor.... :thumbsup:

Move on, nothing to see...

Kev McP

cresshead
11-28-2005, 01:51 PM
drat! and i was soooooooooo looking forward to demonstrating my microthin knowledge on lightwave too! :D

evenflcw
11-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Why "Classic Scene Editor"? New one can lock items too...

kevinmcpoland
11-29-2005, 04:09 AM
Well the first time I thought of Scene Editor I did open the new one, clicked the lock icon and immediately clicked in the viewport, but I could still rotate the object. So I gave up for a while, tired something else, then tried the classic version, which seemed to work.

In my haste I now realise that I had the object already selected that I locked, so of course the manipulation tool was still showing selected (doh!). I am now using the new version, but I do wonder why Newtek include both. I realise that a lot of people are used to the old version, but when something is enhanced I thought it customery to remove the old one. After all, the layout and buttons etc have changed over the years, they are never kept just because of familiarity...

Still, thanks anyway.

Kev McP

evenflcw
11-29-2005, 04:37 AM
"but when something is enhanced I thought it customery to remove the old one"
I agree with you there. When they have replaced functionality by 100% it's time to scrap the legacy stuff. As long as it's there some people will still use it and be unaware of alternate (hopefully better) workflows. As such they will pressure NT to not kill their (probably inferior) workflows. Which results in LW evolving more slowly. Only exception to this rule is when new functions are incomplete or poorly implemented.