PDA

View Full Version : SMD Exporter for Lightwave 7.x/8.x

warmiak
11-27-2005, 05:17 PM
I just finished beta version of SMD exporter (Half Life 2 engine mesh and animation format) for Lightwave.

You can download plugins from http://www.warmi.net/lightwave/.

There are 3 plugins present in the zip file.

One is for exporting static mesh models from Lightwave modeler.
The other two are for Lightwave Layout.
The layout plugin for exporting reference models is very similiar to the modeler plugin but will also export reference pose (bones at their rest position/rotation)
The other layout plugin is for exporting skeletal animations.

Technically there are 4 plugins since animation plugin for lightwave contains two plugins but from the user point of view this is irrelevant since the fourth plugin is automatically applied and driven by the master animation plugin. This was neccesary since to capture post IK information in Lightwave one has to create item motion plugin and apply instance of it to each bone that is being animated.
As I mentioned, this is all transparent to the user and I only mention it because Lightwave will display message about 2 plugins being "found" when installing animation plugin.

This is a beta release and as such there is a possibility that some things will not work as expected. If you encounter any problems with exporting
mesh or animations you can send me whatever scene/object you having problems with and I will try to debug and possibly fix any potential problems.

Refer to readme.txt within the zip file for detailed usage and general information about the plugins.

Tima
11-27-2005, 09:47 PM
doh! awesome news =)

i ll test this reaaly soon

Thx a lot =)

just a little question , you think you make a VTA plugin exporter for Lw to complete tools?

warmiak
11-28-2005, 12:40 PM
" you think you make a VTA plugin exporter for Lw to complete tools"

Probably, since VTA are basically mesh deforms.

Right now I am working on an SMD mesh/reference/animation importer for Lightwave - mainly so I can reuse, modify etc.. Half Life 2 existing models and animations.

Tima
11-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Good job , but i a have some problems ^^

hmm, i cant compile model export from modeler , cause studiomdl demand sequence file to complete compilation and exporter dont create a empty sequence file, i think.

i have a problem to export background layer as a phys model , the plugin just write reference file.

warmiak
11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
This is a matter of content of .qc file ( which is a sort of makefile or template for how to compile a model.)
In that file you basically list locations for various meshes , textures along with some commands and this is what Half Life SDK studiomdl uses to compile a final model.

The plugin doesn't deal with that at all - it simply creates smd meshes out of Lightwave models.

Having said that , let me give you some hints regarding possible solutions.

When studiomdl complains about sequence file then this is matter of simply adding sequence command to your qc file.
For animated objects this would be list of animated sequences (different smd files which you exported from Lightwave) For static meshes you can just use the reference model as a sequence idle.

This is an example qc file for a static mesh:

// Output .MDL
$modelname prison_island/vehicles/hummer.mdl

// Textures (vtf)
$cdmaterials prison_island/custom_models/vehicles

$staticprop

$scale 1.0

// whole body – reference model
$body studio "hummer.smd"

// sequences: - will use reference model again since this is a static mesh
$sequence idle "./hummer" loop fps 30

$surfaceprop "metal"

$collisionmodel "hummer_phys.smd" {
// Mass in kilograms
$Mass 2000
$concave
}

--------------------------------

As you can see, for static meshes you need two smd files. One is your reference model and the other is physics model ( which is basically a simpler version of reference model.).
Even phys model is optional …

I have tested hundreds of models exporting from the modeler and layout and I had no problems whatsoever.
Basically first select layer you have your reference model in , start plugin and change Export Layers: to "Foreground only" and export the model as something.smd.

Once you are done with that , switch to phys model layer and do the same thing (Select foreground only etc), this time exporting it as something_phys.smd. You can verify if the correct layer is being exported by looking at statistics table - phys models will generally have much lower poly count.

One more thing - when creating static meshes from modeler ( or even from layout) if you don't have any bones in the model ,then the plugin will create a single root bone by default and assign all vertices to it - this is basically to satisfy SMD requirments - otherwise you wouldn't be able to compile even a static mesh.
If you look at Half Life 2 meshes you will see that all static objects have this single fake bone and a single frame of animation precisely to be able to use reference model as sequence idle.
In other words, the plugin doesn't care if you are exporting phys or reference model - it is a mesh that uses the same format. It is up to you if you are exporting a single reference model and then reusing it for sequence idle, maybe even for phys model or whatever - the format of smd file will be the same. .qc file is where you tell studiomdl what is your reference model, animation or phys model.

I am just mentioning this for completness - it all happens automatically for static meshes.

Check these links for further info:

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Static_and_Physics_Models_with_HL2_Compile_Toolkit

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_Prop_Physics_Models

Tima
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
thx warmiak for this big explanation =)
i can compile model, if i use reference model for Phys and anim idle sequence ok :)
To export phys BG layer i make the same that you have explain on top :)

now i'll test to export character animation :)

Thx again for the plug

jasonwestmas
12-13-2005, 01:30 AM
First of all I really appreciate your hard work in this department :thumbsup:

Some Feature questions:

Will using Record Pivot Rotation on any of the bones mess up the smd animation export?

Does this exporter support IK calculations and "match pivot rotation"? It seems like your instructions say it does. Or should I first bake the IK and the pivot rotations into the bones? Also, I'm using four goals in the ankle and foot on both legs, would this cause a problem?

Thanks!

jasonwestmas
12-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Hmm, my Referance .smd model seems to compile ok now but I get an error when it my studio compiler tries to compile the animation .smd. Doesn't seem to be any animation in the "ProwlerWalk1" .smd export.

Created command line: "C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\epiginosis\sourcesdk\b in\studiomdl.exe" -game
"c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\epiginosis\half-life 2\hl2" "C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\epiginosis\sourcesdk_c ontent\hl2\modelsrc\Prowler\Prowler_Model.qc"

c:\program
files\valve\steam\steamapps\epiginosis\sourcesdk_c ontent\hl2\modelsrc\prowler\,
c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\epiginosis\half-life 2\hl2\, path
Prowler_Model
Working on "Prowler_Model.qc"
SMD MODEL ProwlerRig_hl2.smd
ERROR: model has no sequences
ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'models/Prowler/Prowler_model.mdl'

//QC file

$modelname models/Prowler/Prowler_model.mdl

$cdmaterials materialsrc/Prowler

$scale 1

$model Prowler "ProwlerRig_hl2.smd"

$texturegroup skinfamilies
{
{"Body_specular_normal"}
{"Body_translucent_color"}
{"Head_specular_normal"}
{"Head_translucent_color"}
{"Bow_Arrow_Quiver_color"}
}

$sequence ProwlerWalk1 "ProwlerWalk1.smd" loop fps 25 activity Walk1

warmiak
12-14-2005, 10:52 AM
The smd file parser inside of mdlcompiler seems to be quite unforgiving and has some funky requirements regarding formating of qc files.

In this case the problem is lack of space between "{" character and the filename in the $texturegroup section.

In other words this section:

{
{"Body_specular_normal"}
{"Body_translucent_color"}
{"Head_specular_normal"}
{"Head_translucent_color"}
{"Bow_Arrow_Quiver_color"}
}

should be written as:

{
{ "Body_specular_normal"}
{ "Body_translucent_color"}
{ "Head_specular_normal"}
{ "Head_translucent_color"}
{ "Bow_Arrow_Quiver_color"}
}

Bottom line is that one has to be very careful when writing and formatting qc files - I have no idea why Valve model compiler is so rigid about these minor issues but that's how it is.

As far as SMD exporter I finally figured out what was wrong with “reset pivot rotation” not being included in the final rotation matrix for the model, and will be posting updated version within a day or so.
In addition to that I have now fully working importer (mesh, reference models and animation) from smd to lightwave and it will be included in the next release as well.

jasonwestmas
12-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Excellent! Thankyou, got the animation working now. Just needed the"./" before the smd file name. I'm really excited about the "Record Pivot Rotation" fix too! :D The only problem was that the match goal orientation on my toe, ankle and wrist didn't convert in the smd you sent me, but I guess that's because your exporter works a little like motion baker?? Anyway, at least now I don't have to make a new rig and I don't have to bake all my bones and mess with key reduction.

jasonwestmas
12-15-2005, 02:10 AM
In case anyone wants to know, match goal orientation and Record Pivot Rotation are now supported with Warmiak's exporter. He'll be posting the update really soon. I was so thrilled that I just had to break the news!

warmiak
12-15-2005, 10:57 PM
I just released latest versions of SMD plugins for Lightwave 7/8.

Changes:

- Pivot rotation as well as "Match Goal Orientation" are now taken into account when exporting reference/animation. This new stuff, as well as existing support for IK , should account for pretty much every possible scenario when exporting animation from Lightwave. Of course , one still has to make sure the animation is Source compatible to begin with ( single root bone + all bones are driven by weightmaps only.)

- New set of of 2 plugins for importing SMD meshes/reference models and animations into Lightwave.

Refer to readme.txt within the zip file for detailed usage and general information about the plugins.

http://www.warmi.net/lightwave/

PS.

Thanks to jasonwestmas for his help in debugging issues with pivot and goal orientation.

jasonwestmas
12-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Many thanks to you too Walter, this is a fine piece of work you've made with the SDK. I got my character running great! :thumbsup: Hope to see a lot more games made with Lightwave and Halflife2. Blackwatersoftware, the people I'm working with, are just as thrilled as I am!

Tima
06-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Up!
Hi Warmiak , i wanna know if you have try to work on VTA exporter or if this tool have any chance to be released in the futur.
you have make good tools :thumbsup:
but to create complete character with faciales animation, it's not possible :bangwall:

jasonwestmas
06-25-2006, 10:01 AM
So you're trying to animate the face with bones? Just to let you know, there is a hl2 face animation tool along with the other other hl2 tools that come with the game. You import your mdl file into the face animator and create the facial morphs from there.

lux3d
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Thank the gods for this plug-in...
Very top notch.

lux3d
07-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Now I can convert this...

http://www.lux3d.com/texturehano.jpg

Lamont
02-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Bump to get these working in LW 9.3/64bit

warmiak
02-18-2008, 11:28 AM
It does work with Lightwave 9.3.

Not sure about 64bit ... I don't have 64 lightwave installed.

Lamont
02-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, it won't load the plugins for me. And LW32 bit isn't installing on my computer.

Lamont
02-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Got LW9 32bit to install and the plugins work fine. Gonna have to figure out how to get the custom content directory thing working.

Lamont
02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
QC files are driving me crazy. Can't even get the sample file to work. I get the black and purple checker pattern. Any insight would help a lot now.

$modelname "pall4.mdl"

$cdmaterials models/pall4/
$cdmaterials models/pall4/
$staticprop

$scale 1.0

$body studio "pall4.smd"

$sequence idle "./pall4" loop fps 30

$surfaceprop "metal"

$collisionmodel "pall4_phys.smd"
{
$Mass 20
$concave
}

warmiak
02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
The black and purple checker pattern generally means that the "$cdmaterials models/pall4/" directive is not pointing to the right material location.

Anytime a material specified within a model is missing the engine will default to the debug material ( which happens to be black and purple).

Lamont
02-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I did that, triple and quadruple checked it. I even put "/" and put the textures in the same directory as the model. No luck at all :(.

arrow1234
10-08-2008, 03:30 AM
hey, the model looks awesome up there, i also finished some models for the game too.
http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/2486
http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/2442

I just started a thread concerning if there is any plugin to export animation SMD from LW9.5. Anyone ever made animation models here?

arrow1234
10-08-2008, 03:39 AM
The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 5 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired....

Pardon me for asking this, for some reasons, i read it somewhere that said most of the plugins exporting SMD stopped working in the latest LW. ESPECIALLY the animation SMD exporter. I really want and need to know this, before i make my move onto other 3d apps. I always want to stick with 1 software. :) LW rox

jasonwestmas
10-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Talk to Warmiak, very cool guy.

WhereMyArm
10-16-2008, 02:23 AM
QC files are driving me crazy. Can't even get the sample file to work. I get the black and purple checker pattern. Any insight would help a lot now.
I'm having the exact same problem. I can't seem to get anything on any object I compile, it's always checkerboard. My process (running 9.5 32-bit):

-Create model
-BS atlas map the whole thing
-Export as SMD with Warmi's plugin
-Screenshot the UV map viewport just to have a BS skin for the model
-Use GUIstudio with the sample QC file from Valve's SDK to compile model
-Use VTFedit to compile the TGA into VTF and VTM (making sure to save as (VertexLitwhatever)
-Triple check everything's in the right folder
-Checkerboard texture.

Is there anything obviously wrong with that?

WhereMyArm
10-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Nevermind that, finally solved my problem. This was my original line in the QC file:

$cdmaterials "models/fuckingwork/myhead.vtf"
Changed it to:

$cdmaterials "models/fuckingwork/"
Recompiled, worked like a charm.

warmiak
10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Nevermind that, finally solved my problem. This was my original line in the QC file:

$cdmaterials "models/fuckingwork/myhead.vtf"
Changed it to:

$cdmaterials "models/fuckingwork/"
Recompiled, worked like a charm.
Yeah, I remember from my own experience that writing the damn plugin was less painful then trying to debug problems with qc files.

BTW. Not that you really need it (EEP is better) but the plugin has an option to export UV map as I think a tga image.

WhereMyArm
10-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I remember from my own experience that writing the damn plugin was less painful then trying to debug problems with qc files.

BTW. Not that you really need it (EEP is better) but the plugin has an option to export UV map as I think a tga image.

Yeah it's a real pain having to go over scripting and variables just to get a model into the editor. Now that I've got a better feel for how all these files work together though it shouldn't be as bad.

Thanks for the awesome plugin, by the way. It's nice to stay in LW for modeling. Any word on whether the animation part of it still works in 9.5? I don't have the know-how yet to try it out, but I'm hoping to do a weapon with animation eventually.

arrow1234
10-17-2008, 12:24 AM
hey here is my mate, i run into the same problem, but not found out yet.....
i will find out when i am there, its just now i m working on something else.

I cant even add the animation plugin in my LW95, can you?

arrow1234
10-17-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm having the exact same problem. I can't seem to get anything on any object I compile, it's always checkerboard. My process (running 9.5 32-bit):

-Create model
-BS atlas map the whole thing
-Export as SMD with Warmi's plugin
-Screenshot the UV map viewport just to have a BS skin for the model
-Use GUIstudio with the sample QC file from Valve's SDK to compile model
-Use VTFedit to compile the TGA into VTF and VTM (making sure to save as (VertexLitwhatever)
-Triple check everything's in the right folder
-Checkerboard texture.

Is there anything obviously wrong with that?

oh gosh, i m terribly sorry that i missed your post, I couldve helped you as i seen it.

But its good to see you solved it, and yes, you must state your folder path in the QC file. Then you state the VMT file name in your SMD file. Finally the VMT will load up the VTF file.

WhereMyArm
10-19-2008, 01:32 AM
hey here is my mate, i run into the same problem, but not found out yet.....
i will find out when i am there, its just now i m working on something else.

I cant even add the animation plugin in my LW95, can you?

It does load into my 32-bit install of 9.5 just fine, all I did was throw it in the plugins\animate folder.

Lamont
10-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I got it to work, after hours of trial and error, but I've set up camp using UnrealED since I use it at work... no need in mixing the two apps anymore.

arrow1234
10-29-2008, 02:21 PM
hey i just finished this model using LW and uploaded it here
http://www.fpsbanana.com/prefabs/2523
looks pretty nice:P

arrow1234
11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
hey can someone explain why bones needed to be assigned to weightmaps?
what is the relationship between bones and weightmaps

jasonwestmas
11-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Because bones in game engines need weightmaps. That is so that the engine knows how much a verticie gets pushed or pulled when the skeleton moves and rotates.

arrow1234
11-10-2008, 09:36 PM
oh jeez, i finally got the animation work, good news is that i will start making animation models into css/hl2 purely by using LW95, bad news is that i still have tons of script to learn.
If there is any LW mate running into problem, i am willing to help :)

@jason, does it matter what weightmap value(i assign 100%) to be assigned onto the weightmap? I heard it somewhere that the WM value 33%,66% and 100% are related to each other and making the work done more advanced????? and last question: do you have any animation/models done and exported onto HL2 mod? its good to see people's work;)

jasonwestmas
11-10-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that the valve source engine uses smooth weight mapping instead of rigid. So in other words different bones do share verticies. I think that the 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% values you use in modeler do get transferred when using this exporter.

Look on page one of this thread and you'll see a model I did and got in the engine. I'm more of a modeler and surface artist though so I don't get much time to do animation. ;)

arrow1234
11-11-2008, 04:15 AM
wow i just saw the picture on first page, did you animate the character? it looks great
it shows "walk" animation in the sequence. so i jsut expect it can walk :P

arrow1234
11-11-2008, 04:26 AM
***5 mins after post for editing isnt enough, admins***

btw is that a ragdoll? I do know how to make simple animation ,eg a swinging box lol, but i m trying to dig deeper.

CUrrently, I want to add a physics box that follow the movement of the reference model, eg a door that animate to open or close, it will block player when its closed.
there is another sdk mate having the same problem here(http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742190)
I think this has more to do with script ~__~ I get a sick headache when i look at the script

jasonwestmas
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Yep, she just has a walk on her for testing purposes.

No sorry, I have not gotten into physics scripting. I tend to avoid scripting :)

Gregor
12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Having a bit of trouble with this. I am working on a character model which I want to use as a ragdoll in Garry's Mod. I can export the model and compile it as a static prop just fine. However, as soon as I try to compile it as a jointed model, it goes haywire.

Symptoms:

The static prop version works (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z58/Heterodyne/valve/gm_construct0004.jpg) in-game, as well as in the model viewer. The ragdoll version is garbled in-game (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z58/Heterodyne/valve/gm_construct0002.jpg) and even disappears from certain angles and when you get too close, but it seems to work fine in the model viewer.
If I try to export the model with its skeleton in Layout and then reimport it with the SMD Skeleton Importer, all of the bones are loaded up centered on the X and Y axes, rather than in their proper positions and orientations. Here's the model I exported (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z58/Heterodyne/valve/bonesout.jpg) (the collision model and its bones), and here's (http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z58/Heterodyne/valve/bonesin.jpg) what I got when reimporting the resulting SMD two minutes later.
When you view the garbled ragdoll in-game with vcollide_wireframe 1, the collision model is also clustered around the center of the mesh, so this might be the source of the problem.

jasonwestmas
12-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Jointed model? You're using 9.5 I take it? The smd exporter was designed for LW8's animation system so there is likely some changes in 9.5 that will mess the bones up with that exporter.

Gregor
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Jointed model? You're using 9.5 I take it? The smd exporter was designed for LW8's animation system so there is likely some changes in 9.5 that will mess the bones up with that exporter.

No, sorry for the ambiguity, I meant to mention that. I'm using LW 8.5.

I meant jointed model in the sense that valve uses it, with $collisionjoints and what-have-you.

warmiak
12-04-2008, 10:43 PM

I meant jointed model in the sense that valve uses it, with $collisionjoints and what-have-you.

The original thing was written and tested on 7.5 and it worked just fine for exporting and importing back animated models ( basically meshes + bones)

Something has changed in the way Lightwave SDK works since then because I can't import anything either ( I have some old animated models I used to test with.)

Everything works fine for static geometry though.

I don't have Valve SDK's anymore so I can't really test this stuff but I am wondering if you are having problems exporting bones (the resting position) or is it only related to exporting actual animations ?

You could verify this by simply exporting a simple set of two boxes with a single bone per each and see how it shows up in the model viewer ( they have x-ray like display mode build in - complete with weights and everyting).

jasonwestmas
12-05-2008, 09:32 AM

Well all I know is that I was able to get an animated character into valve source just fine using 8.5

Gregor
12-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't have Valve SDK's anymore so I can't really test this stuff but I am wondering if you are having problems exporting bones (the resting position) or is it only related to exporting actual animations ?

I have no actual animations, just the bone resting positions, since the model was only intended to be used as a ragdoll.

You could verify this by simply exporting a simple set of two boxes with a single bone per each and see how it shows up in the model viewer ( they have x-ray like display mode build in - complete with weights and everyting).

I'll try that out later today or this weekend, depending on when I can get a spare moment.

arrow1234
12-17-2008, 03:36 PM
I am working on a ragdoll prop as well, and i think it is possible to do that.
i am not sure thou, but i am working on it :P
1 thing that may help, goto your sdkcontent folder:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\USER\sourcesdk_content\cstri ke\modelsrc\urban
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\USER\sourcesdk_content\cstri ke\modelsrc\animation
this folders above contain all the original source reference, animation and ragdoll smd files, i am looking at them atm and trying to back-engineer it.
hope this helps i will post back my work when its done

@warmi: is that common that when i import a reference smd, its uv mapping will not be loaded in? its weird because the ref smd have all that uv information

warmiak
12-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I am working on a ragdoll prop as well, and i think it is possible to do that.
i am not sure thou, but i am working on it :P
1 thing that may help, goto your sdkcontent folder:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\USER\sourcesdk_content\cstri ke\modelsrc\urban
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\USER\sourcesdk_content\cstri ke\modelsrc\animation
this folders above contain all the original source reference, animation and ragdoll smd files, i am looking at them atm and trying to back-engineer it.
hope this helps i will post back my work when its done

@warmi: is that common that when i import a reference smd, its uv mapping will not be loaded in? its weird because the ref smd have all that uv information

Well, as far as I remember the only problems with UVs loaded from external smd files were related to UVs being shifted by 1.0 or so ... but I have never seen them not being loaded at all.
Who knows though ... there are a lot of smd models out there.

You don't have that problem with the smds you are exporting yourself, do you ?

arrow1234
12-20-2008, 09:04 PM
no problem for me at all. <3 your plugin

btw i made some ragdoll exporting test, it actually worked in the game except that the game crashed at the end XD, but who knows what problem it is. I will see what i can do

scribbla
12-30-2008, 08:05 AM
thank you warmiak

i have finaly got a way into cobra3d

thanks for your time and effort :)

arrow1234
01-12-2009, 08:44 PM
wohoo i just finished up my character model and exported it into the game, it actually works, Lw and this awesome plugin sure can handle everything :P

here are some screenshots:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2u5c8s5.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/fk4eap.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/im0wph.jpg

it looks kinda buggy because some weightmaps are assigned wrong(i hope i can fix it). It was kinda long painful process of making this model works, so if any LW mate runs into problem, post here and see if i can help :P

arrow1234
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
hey is anyone able to get the plugin work in LW96?
it said 'error creating user interface',
i guess i will have to use LW95 for all source modelling

ultradm
05-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread because I have problems with the plugin. I can export an SMD into modeler, and then save as .lwo, as detailed in the readme. But then, despite having added the plugins in Lightwave layout, I cannot find any button to import the skeleton. Any ideas?

I'm using LW8.0 btw

jasonwestmas
05-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread because I have problems with the plugin. I can export an SMD into modeler, and then save as .lwo, as detailed in the readme. But then, despite having added the plugins in Lightwave layout, I cannot find any button to import the skeleton. Any ideas?

I'm using LW8.0 btw

did you try lw 8.5?

ultradm
05-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Nope, I assumed it'd work on 8.0 since warmi stated in his readme that it works with 7.x/8.x. Where should the button to import smd skeleton be located at?

jasonwestmas
05-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I haven't used the plugin in years but I was using it with 8.5 and it worked fine. That's why I asked. It doesn't matter where the import button is you can put it anywhere.

ultradm
05-31-2009, 07:53 AM
So what's supposed to happen after I add the plug-in? Is anything supposed to happen at all? I add the plug in, then that's it. Nothing happens.

Btw anyone know where Warmi is? Is he on holiday or out of the country? I'm asking because he hasn't replied to my email yet :(

jasonwestmas
05-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Come to think of it everything should be available in the import and export menus. If it's not there it would be under utilities. You can do a search for the plugin in the plugin editor and probably put the commands for it in any tab menu you want.

warmiak
05-31-2009, 01:06 PM
So what's supposed to happen after I add the plug-in? Is anything supposed to happen at all? I add the plug in, then that's it. Nothing happens.

Btw anyone know where Warmi is? Is he on holiday or out of the country? I'm asking because he hasn't replied to my email yet :(

It should be listed under Utilities menu ... I just tried on 9.6 and it showed up as "SMD Skeleton Import".

This is really something controlled by Lightwave ... if you want to have it in a more convinient place , you will need to do it manually.

In any case, it doesn't work under 9.6 .. I get something like "error creating user interface" which indicates to me that either their SDK has changed or somewhere in my code I used something that I wasn't supposed to be using ( some sort of semi-internal API - I don't really remember :-)

PS.
Both of my emails listed in the readme file are pretty much dead .. I get thousands of spam emails on these accounts ever day so I will be getting rid of them.

ultradm
06-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks both of you for replying. Manually adding them into one of the menus did the trick. Tomorrow I'm going to try out the plugin and see if it works like a charm. Many thanks once again!

arrow1234
07-22-2009, 01:12 AM
warmi, is there any chance you can write the vta exporter, a plugin for exporting vertex? its useful for making facial animation. I will be making characters for a HL2 mod, facial animation will be a must for me. i dont really want to migrate to 3dsm or xsi(current ones that do the job) but guess i have to D:

warmiak
07-23-2009, 02:23 AM
warmi, is there any chance you can write the vta exporter, a plugin for exporting vertex? its useful for making facial animation. I will be making characters for a HL2 mod, facial animation will be a must for me. i dont really want to migrate to 3dsm or xsi(current ones that do the job) but guess i have to D:

Sorry but no chance ... I don't have the Source engine SDK installed anymore and in any case I don't really remember much ( it was a one-time project for me )

arrow1234
08-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Sorry but no chance ... I don't have the Source engine SDK installed anymore and in any case I don't really remember much ( it was a one-time project for me )

not even if we consider this is a commission job?

warmiak
08-19-2009, 02:32 AM
not even if we consider this is a commission job?

Sorry .. I don't remember much :-)
In any case, I am quite busy with other projects these days (and if anything I am about to order Lightwave Core and start working with the new product)

Tima
03-07-2010, 03:23 PM
HI warmiak longtime has passed sinceour last discuss
but do you think if is possible to share source code of SMD plugins, is important for me.
My game dev team and me working with your plugin since a long time, and we must develop VTA exporter based onyour exporter to continue our development.
i have try to make VTa from other softwar but is not compatible or something dueto the smd exported from your plugins suite.

if that interesting you, i working on game based on jurrasic park concept movie
the link is here
http://jurassic-life.game-lab.com/

oobievision
04-03-2010, 04:20 PM
is there a 64bit version of this plugin?

arrow1234
04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
HI warmiak longtime has passed sinceour last discuss
but do you think if is possible to share source code of SMD plugins, is important for me.
My game dev team and me working with your plugin since a long time, and we must develop VTA exporter based onyour exporter to continue our development.
i have try to make VTa from other softwar but is not compatible or something dueto the smd exported from your plugins suite.

if that interesting you, i working on game based on jurrasic park concept movie
the link is here
http://jurassic-life.game-lab.com/

hey tima, glad to hear that other LWmates have the cool stuff to do with the games using this plugin.

Now if i still remember it right, i heard that there were at least 2 WIP VTA exporters for LW years ago.......just to mind you that they were and still are WIP and pretty much they end up no-follow-up with my sorrow.

The only apps that support exporting VTA are, as far as i know, 3dsmax and XSI. To actually generate vta data couldnt be easier with using both LW and 3DsMax. I made some player characters models for Team Fortress 2 (which uses HL2 EP2 engine) with LW awhile ago, take a look : (and believe it or not, they are still active)

http://mrkit.web.fc2.com/game_mod/suigintou_soldier/main.html
http://touhoufortress2.web.fc2.com/main.html

every characters, ofcourse, have facial animation for VTA sake and everything was made/modelled/designed/rigged/anything natively inside LW. I only used 3Dsm vta exporter to export the facial animation (which is exported from LW) at its final stage. If you want to get this done and need more help on the VTAs , we can go on and talk about the workflow here.

is there a 64bit version of this plugin?

nope, tested this on LW64, it wouldnt work. In the mean time, LW32 for the win

Emeriastone
04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
If you want to get this done and need more help on the VTAs , we can go on and talk about the workflow here.

Actually, I would love it if you could shed a little of this information, as I use LW for the majority of my source projects--but I have to rely on 3dsmax to export animated sequences, and I'd rather do as much as humanly possible in lw.

arrow1234
04-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Actually, I would love it if you could shed a little of this information, as I use LW for the majority of my source projects--but I have to rely on 3dsmax to export animated sequences, and I'd rather do as much as humanly possible in lw.

did you try exporting the sequences in Layout 9.5 32bit (Utilities > Additional> SMD Animation) ? Besides the robotic/quaky animation i made, i did not have a problem getting animations (animated in LW) into the game.

DogBoy
08-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Has anyone got this? Warmis site seems to be down, and I'm in need of these tools for a film project.

jasonwestmas
08-05-2012, 02:30 PM

after you add it then you probably have to add it to your menu or hot key.

DogBoy
08-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Does anyone know where I can find these plugins? I'm supposed to be working on a short-film project using Garrys Mod and Green screen and could really use this.

DogBoy
08-06-2012, 08:34 AM
I can't see passed page 4, so if anyone replied to me plea, can you PM me? Many, MANY thanks,

Dan

Tima
08-07-2012, 05:45 AM
hello dogboy, i put the link here, but i also send you a PM :

http://redeye.free.fr/warmiak_smd_plugins.zip

note this plugin doesn't works with higher version than 9.5. so if you using a recent version of lightwave, like the 9.6, the 10.0 and 11.0, it will not works.

Bye

DogBoy
08-09-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm digging around for earlier builds (i'm sure I have version 8.5 somewhere)