PDA

View Full Version : Not funny when your in learn mode.

nakrul
11-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Ok,

So I'm doing the Braids tut. Everything is going ok for the most part. I found out that if your going to select points you have to hold the *Shift Key* and if you want to deselect them you have to hold down the *Ctrl key* and move points is the *T key* The guy is doing this really fast so maybe there is another way I don't know.

Problem,

I am on the 8.5 demo on a Imac G5 with 1024mb of ram with Tiger 10.4.2

Now when I go over to
~multiply/Clone

I use the slider to 3 *number of clones* and the I set the Z what the guy says to 1m. I also use the slider. Nothing happens. But when I entered them by hand it works...Kind of.

Here is a Before/After/What I want. pic *hope this works*

Bog
11-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Sorry, I got distracted for a while by your wallpaper. *koff*

If you're on a Mac, the first thing you need to do is throw away your no-button mouse, and grab one with at least three buttons. So many functions in LW natively rely on the right and middle buttons that it's a screaming nightmare to approach it any other way. Some examples, in Modeler:

Make a ball, and switch off the Ball tool. As nothing is directly selected, any operations you perform will affect the whole Modeler layer: Nothing Selected means Everything Selected.

I'm going to deliberately speak of middle and right buttons now, so you go get a real mouse ;)

Left-dragging (in Point mode) will additively select points. If you now release and re-drag, you'll be in Subract from Select mode - rolling your left-drag over previously selected points will deselect them.

In this mode, shift-left-drag and unmodified-middle-drag are identical - you'll add to your selection again.

Now we reach the right mousebutton, which is your Lasso Select, which works just like left-select but with a dragged area. With me so far? There's be a quiz at the end of the period... so hold down shift and use the right button to draw a lasso. Anything in the lasso is added to the selection. Right doodle with no shift... and things are deselected.

If you right drag a lasso around your whole ball, then it's all deselcted, you're back to zero as it were, and an unmodified right-drag will directly select points.

It seems like all manner of pain to start with, but you rapidly get used to it, and it's an incredibly powerful way of Selecting Absolutely Anything.

Dexter2999
11-27-2005, 09:01 AM
I am not familiar with the braids tutorial.

A question:
Are you working in the same scale as the tutorial was created in?
(Because the second picture the offset of the clone tool looks much too short. This might happen if you made a larger scaled curved then entered numerics from the tutorial)

nakrul
11-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Bog,

Thanks. I have a windows 3 button mouse via usb.

Dexter2999, I think I am. He made a box used the up arrow 9 times so he would have 9 point. I have 9 points...why the **** is it doing this? I am doing it step for step.

nakrul
11-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Ok I did it over and it did a stright line so lets see if it will do my dna s cruve now.

as far as the grid...in the lower left hand corner his says 500 and mine has 100mm no idea on how to change that.

Edit..heres a pic. I there is a small gap I guess I would lower the Z down but that does not work. and for some odd reason my grid is now 200m lol.

Bog
11-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick... no matter, it was good typing practice ;)

nakrul
11-27-2005, 02:41 PM
No no no...You gave me some info that I did not know lol's.

but I still have the problem at hand.

loki74
11-27-2005, 03:30 PM
well... I am still quite the LW amatuer, but I think I know whats going on...

It seems to me that the length of your initial curve is different than the clone distance. Make sure that when you make your box with 9 divisions, it is the exact same height of the clone distance.

If you don'e want to restart, you might try this--select the points that should be in the same location, and use set value to make them the same. Then you should be able to do the merge points step. I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but if it does I do not think it will yield as good a result as starting over and making sure that your distances will match up.

about the mouse--
I run Mac OSX 10.3.9 with a Logitech MX500 and this is how it works for me:

Left click:
If no points or polys are selected, clicking adds to the selection
If points or polys are selected, clicking subtracts from selection

Right click:
Same as left click, but lasso

Scrollwheel click (middle click):
Like left click, exect adds to selection no matter what.

I use all 3 functions quite frequently. While clicking the scrollwheel took some getting used to, I find it much faster than using shift. The only time I use shift is if I have something selected already and I want to add a lot to the selection; enough to warrant use of the lasso.

Good luck with your project! :thumbsup:

Dexter2999
11-27-2005, 03:37 PM
So you are using different size grid. This means the line you are drawing is a different scale than the one in the tutorial. So when you plug in the numeric value that tutorial lists it doesn't work the same for you. The down arrow is to determine how many subdivisions you have in your object. It doesn't affect the size. Draw a box and play with the arrow keys and watch the grid change. The box stays the same size it is just matter of how fine a mesh you are making.

To get the right size for your offset you will need to measure the size of your curve. There is a MEASURE tool. I don't know if there is a description in your help file (or even if the learning edition has the help file with it.)

So the idea is that if you are using a 100mm grid, and your curve is say 5 grids tall exactly, then your offset should be 500mm. (At least I think that is how it would work out on paper.) On your curve the first point and last point would need to have the same XZ position (the first point will have a different Y position if it is directly above the last of course.) That way when you clone it and set the offset to the proper length ( on the Y axis), the first point of the clone would overlap the last point of the previous curve.

I'm nowhere near an expert on this stuff but I hope I helped without making it too complicated.

nakrul
11-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Loki74,

Thanks for the Tips...I had to start it over but it was do big deal took me 2 min to do the S again

Dexter2999, You were right it was the grid. I had to zoom in to 500mm and everything worked great...I got the manual in PDF. off hand were is the measure tool at?

Ztreem
11-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Use the array tool instead of clone and just type in the number of copies you want in Z and it will work just fine. Happy modelling!

Silkrooster
11-27-2005, 05:29 PM
The grid in modeler changes as you zoom in or out. Also you will see the grid lines increase or decrease as well.
If clone is not working because you are in discovery mode, you can copy and paste the splines by making sure no tool is active and the spline is selected. Using ctrl-c to copy and ctrl-v to paste or from the menu EDIT>COPY or EDIT>PASTE Then move the spline along the z axis.
As far as selecting points, when no points are selected clicking on a point will select it, if you continue to hold down the mouse button you can continue selecting points. If you let go of the mouse button you can select additional points by holding down the shift key, but again if you continue to hold down on the mouse button you no longer need to hold down the shift key.
Once points are selected and you do not have the mouse button or shift key held down, you can deselect points by clicking on a point. If you wish to delect multiple points, continue to hold down the mouse button.
Silk

nakrul
11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
OOO so much good info...

ok. now I am at the rail exrtude...every time I use it I get this...sux.

UnCommonGrafx
11-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Rail Extrude sucks.

I've replace it with this one:
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Tips/coil/index.html

nakrul
11-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Can you be a little more vague?

UnCommonGrafx
11-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I can but I thought that was good enough!!
:D

What wasn't clear? Happy to elaborate if you need. However, I'd suggest you get the plugin and try it. It will become clear as to my meaning.

Edit: that is to say, download the C_snake plugin and try it for your rail extrudes.

loki74
11-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Um.. I'm not sure how to fix that "knot" (if you will) in the rail extrude.

But it does look to me like your polys are facing the wrong way. Did you flip the poly before rail extruding? (shortcut key "f")

nakrul
11-27-2005, 09:01 PM
No I did not flip it. It said something like error you need 2 faces or something...but I'm getting better that for **** sure.

UnCommonGrafx, do plug ins work in demo mode?

I can't save my work...more then 400 points...Hisssss... but the good think about macs is that you can go months without restarting...Sill sucks you can't save your work :thumbsdow

It took all day but I did it.

UnCommonGrafx
11-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes, the plugins do work in demo mode. But I'm not sure that the config files will save with them intact ready for your next session.

I've had the same thing as you are showing with the built in version; never have had it give me what I wanted.

nakrul
11-27-2005, 09:17 PM
lol, I edited it post.

I hear you loud on that. To get it to work I had to be point on EVERYTHING. But I am happy I was able to do it.

Dexter2999
11-27-2005, 09:18 PM
You may see some distortion if you aren't doing the rail extrude exactly right. The disc that you draw needs to be facing the direction that the rail flows. You place the disc on the starting point of the rail (the first point you drew) Try and match the angle of the rail as close as possible. Under the rail extrude click ORIENTED and Automatic (you may need to play with these settings) as long as the disc is small enough and the curves aren't so sharp as to make the new polys overlap you should be golden.

PS Forgot, when you have multiple rails in the background this can make your extrude go crazy.

nakrul
11-27-2005, 09:25 PM
yep yep yep. 100% right and thats what my problem was... I was doing shift z in point and not in polygons tab and the bottom of :lwicon:

Silkrooster
11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
Your object is inside out. When using rail extrude make sure your object I beleive in this case is a disk is facing away from the spline. To make the disk face the other direction, press the lowercase f key to flip the disk. After creating an extrude like the one you showed pressing the lowercase f key will flip the polys for you.
As for the pinched parts, either that is the end and beginning of two splines or your disk is on the wrong end of the spline.
If you have multiple splines, select all of them and press shift-z to merge the splines into one.
If the disk is on the wrong end, select the spline and press the lowercase f key to flip the spline.
Silk

Silkrooster
11-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Somehow I skiped a bunch of posts. The last image using a square plane the only thing wrong with it is it is flipped inside out. Like I said in the previous post, the square has to face away from the spline, so you can either flip the square or after it is extruded then flip the whole thing. And this is done with the f key.
Silk

nakrul
11-27-2005, 11:24 PM
Inside out who knows...I turned on Sub D's don't have a clue in **** what sub D's are but it makes everything smooth and for the record this is 100% what I wanted LOL. I am not really going for anything right now...I am just playing with it and learning. I am in learning mode so I guess this is no right or wrong or inside out? Or maybe there is...Right now I am waiting to go to a online school so I can get LW for $250 VS the $900. Vue looks cool might pick it up later. all I can say is I am haveing alot of fun. :boogiedow