PDA

View Full Version : Reencoding

r3z
11-26-2005, 08:45 AM
I am trying to reencode the output avi file in windows movie maker but it doesnt play nice. Is there somewhere I can get the codec to do this? I have tried burning the AVI to DVD via NERO and I get no audio when I burn it. I am desperate and need help ASAP so I can get this on the web.

Please email me if you have a resolution to this problem

[email protected]

Thanks in advance,
Anthony Barnett

KWeaver
11-26-2005, 01:01 PM
What version of the Tricaster software do you have. To find out, hold down Ctrl-Alt-A. This brings up the version panel.
If this panel shows a product ID ending in 5988 that is the lastest version. If not download and install the update.
All the usual cavaets apply, including back up anything that you do not wish to lose!
If you have 5988, make sure you save the clip with 16 bit 48KHz stereo audio no fp (floating point).
Hope that helps Let's know
Ken Weaver

r3z
11-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Well when I put the AVI in Windows Movie Maker it gives me the error that there is no codec installed but when I play the AVI on the tricaster I get audio and everything just fine?

KWeaver
11-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Anthony,
For what is worth I have not been able to do this in Movie Maker either. However I do use Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 with no problem.
I will try another route with Movie Maker and let you know. Any one else have any success with Movie Maker or other programs?
Ken Weaver

r3z
11-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Problem is I dont have Premiere right now and need an inexpensive way to put it on the web in WMV format.

kmnetterville
12-01-2005, 10:09 PM
I installed the Tricaster codec on my premeire editing system. I transferred the original avi files from the Tricaster to a WD external HD via USB. Took the HD and plugged it back into my Premeire editing machine. Once Premeire is open & I try to import the file. I get a error. "Can't open file...File uses an unsupported compression format"

I am using Premiere 6.5 because I have a Pinnacle DV500 DVD card.

Am I doing something wrong. I suspect "Operator Error". I must not be doing something right.

r3z
12-02-2005, 07:27 AM
kmnetterville I also installed Premiere and had that same error. Is there a step we are both missing?

Thanks

Tpaine
12-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Hey there,

I'm not sure if this will help you, but this is what I did;
Copy the tricaster windows media encoder profile(or create your own) from "C:\TriCaster\User Data\Default User\StreamProfiles\", I used "360x240 29.97fps 373Kbps.prx" to the Windows Movie Maker profile directory "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles\"

This will allow you to choose something other than the defaults when choosing save to my computer(may have to click show more choices radio button, and then choose your profile from the drop down menu)

Set up your movie the way you want it in the timeline, click save to my computer, choose the file name and the directory to save to, and select the profile you created/copied. Click Next.

This created a wmv that played back fine with both audio and video, you can customize your profile very easily to play with quality/size/framerate, but if you are running into trouble copying and existing TriCaster profile may be the way to go. You can create your own streaming profiles for TriCaster/Windows movie maker by running "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMProEdt.exe"

Hope this helps,

~Tom

kmnetterville
12-02-2005, 09:45 AM
TPaine, thanks for the info. Although I never use Movie Maker. Everything I edit is either Premeire 6.5 or Pinnacle Liquid Edition. Haven't tried opening the avi file I moved from the Tricaster to my edit station with Edition though. I am primarilly a Premiere person.

All I should have to do is install the Tricaster codec that came on the supplied disk, right? Install it on my edit PC, and Premeire should recognize the codec and the avi file I capture via Tricaster. Is this correct?

Tpaine
12-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Yes, In theory all you *should* have to do is install the Newtek codec in whatever editing program you wish to use. I really hate movie maker, but it works in a bind. I have heard conflicting reports on wether it actually works with premiere, hopefully that will work for you! If only the TriCaster had more diverse output options*cough* quicktime *cough*

~Tom

r3z
12-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Where is the Codec at that I can install on a machine? I need the installer download link if possible.

Thanks

KWeaver
12-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Anthony,
If it is not on your CD that came with the Tricaster. or if it is older than Oct 2005 go to:
http://register.newtek.com/ and select Tricaster click on go, if you have registered logon, if not register the tricaster, and than go to the registered products page and go to downloads. Download the file "iVGA and NewTek 25 Codec" When downloaded, right click on the "NewTek_TriCaster_Codec.inf" and select "install"
Hope that helps!
Ken Weaver

r3z
12-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks for your help. Will this make it to where I can install this codec and use WMM to encode my files. My end result is wanted to be wmv for the web.

Thanks

larrybiederman
03-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi R3Z,

What program do you use to convert Tricaster *.AVI file to WMV. I need WMV that will stream on web. The WMV from tricaster does, but when I used a converter, I played on computer, but wouldn't stream on web. Any ideas?
Thanks,

Larry Biederman
[email protected]

r3z
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Larry,
For you to stream a wmv file you have to have a windows media server streaming it for you. Windows media player should start downloading the video and stream it but to make it seekable you need a windows media server.

If you have a WMV file online if Windows Media Player is your default player for this it should open up and start 'streaming' when it downloads a certain amount.

If you have the file on the web I can check it out and see if there is a problem with it but its probably your client(windows media player) that is having the issue.

DrVideo
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Yes, In theory all you *should* have to do is install the Newtek codec in whatever editing program you wish to use. I really hate movie maker, but it works in a bind. I have heard conflicting reports on wether it actually works with premiere, hopefully that will work for you! If only the TriCaster had more diverse output options*cough* quicktime *cough*

~Tom

Newtek, Please add quicktime to the output options of the Tricaster!:agree:

larrybiederman
03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
HI and thanks much for reply.
Any WMV file (several sizes and frame rates tried) produced on TriCaster Pro, stream file on my test web site (which I wrote - http://biederman.org).

But, when I load an AVI file produced on TriCaster Pro, into Movie Maker (Windows XP), no WMV format I've tried (standard 384 web, and Tricaster formats- 360x240 29.97 fps and Movie Maker default - "best for computer", will play on web.

So my issue is that Tricaster AVI converted files to ANYTHING *.WMV using Movie maker won't stream on web.

Something wrong in conversion or output files type??

Appreciate any help.
Thanks,

Dr Larry Biederman
[email protected]
909-337-6299

larrybiederman
03-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Newtek, Please add quicktime to the output options of the Tricaster!

larrybiederman
03-28-2007, 12:46 AM
To r3z and all,

:thumbsup:

ISSUE: Convert TriCaster Pro produced AVI to WMV that will stream on web.

Thanks to Richard at Newtek support fo rsolution that works!

PROBLEM: When I converted Tricaster Pro produced AVI file to WMV (using MS movie maker etc) it will play on computer, but wouldn't stream on web.

SOLUTION:
As explained by Richard, the Tricaster Pro made AVI file is propriority.
Go to eding module of Tricaster.
Find your AVI and drag/drop onto time line. In botton right corner, click convert for vhs. In popup window, name file, and leave output as *.avi.

This will produce a 2nd AVI file, but this one is a standard AVI 421 file (Tricaster used special AVI 422 propriatory format).
When the new AVI is produced (standard 421 type), use MS Movie maker or other program, to produce WMV file from new AVI.
A good choice seems to be "video for broadband 340kbps".
Let it produce the WMV file.

When I did this on 3 occasions, the resulting *.WMV file streams fine on the web. My site is: http://biederman.org (test site for church web site).

Solution works fine, and requires purchasing NO new software!
All programs needed are already on Tricaster.

Hope this helps someone out there.

-Larry