PDA

View Full Version : Can't use edge tools--duplicate polys

loki74
11-26-2005, 02:10 AM
Okay so all of a sudden, I can't use the edge tools... dont remember exactly what I did to eff it up... but obviously it was before the 20 levels of undo I have.

Says it can't build the solid structre and asks me to get rid of duplicate polys.

So i search the help docs, no luck. Search here--people say to do merge points and then unify polys. It says, no points elimated, no polys eliminated. Someone else reccomemnded using ] to select all thats attached, then invert to get the polys that don't belong. Tried it, got nothing. Really it seems like there are no duplicate polys... but at the same time, I'm stuck w/o edge tools!

BazC
11-26-2005, 02:35 AM
I have the same problem quite frequently, edge tools don't seem like very robust tools to me (in comparrison with the equivalent in other apps) Hopefully they will be improved or replaced when we get true edge support!

Try looking for 1 and 2 point polys and isolated verts, I think they sometimes cause problems too. Also try subpatching, that will often show up problems with your mesh that you were unaware of.

Hope that helps! - Baz

toonafish
11-26-2005, 08:54 AM
What I usualy do it to first select the polys I want add edges to. This way you don't get those blue dots everywhere so you can't select a wrong edge accidently with heavy geometry and you hardy ever get that error anymore. And if you do you know there's something rotten with one of the selected poly's.

loki74
11-26-2005, 02:24 PM
BazC: My poly statistics say that i have zero 1 pint polys, zero 2 point polys, 17 3 point polys, and 539 4 point polys. I also have the thing subpatched and nothing looks out of place. What are isolated verts?

toonafish: Good advice! I never really thought of that. Using your suggestion, I have isolated the problem to a specific part of my mesh.. but I still can't figure out the problem. It seems that any one polygon selected by itself will have no problem with the edge tools. But pairs of polys will, and only certain pairs.

Surrealist.
11-26-2005, 10:06 PM
BazC: My poly statistics say that i have zero 1 pint polys, zero 2 point polys, 17 3 point polys, and 539 4 point polys. I also have the thing subpatched and nothing looks out of place. What are isolated verts?

toonafish: Good advice! I never really thought of that. Using your suggestion, I have isolated the problem to a specific part of my mesh.. but I still can't figure out the problem. It seems that any one polygon selected by itself will have no problem with the edge tools. But pairs of polys will, and only certain pairs.

You know, I am sorry that I am not at my computer but I believe the way I fixed this was to select the two polys that are not egde tool legal - the problem polys.

Then deselect each at a different edge until you find the gremlin. It will not show up in the statistics window but after you sucessfully deselect the edge without the gremlin it will show up as a "two point poly". A little yellow line or jagged line depending on your geometry. Hit delete with only the gemlin selected and that should fix it - assuming this is what you have.

Hope this helps.

loki74
11-27-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm not entirely sure how one deselects at a certain edge... so I ended up just going and deleting the two problem polys and just re-selcting the points and hitting p.

So it sounds like the problem is that there are two point polys that do not show up in statistics and are attached to some other geometry. Hopefully fixed in 9!

toonafish
11-27-2005, 06:53 AM
It seems modeler gets a little confused with certain non planar poly's every now and then. Sometimes I have poly's that should be just fine show up grey or black. Whenever that happens I just rebuild them like you just did, or I tripple and merge the them which seems to solve the problem most of the time.

Surrealist.
11-29-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm not entirely sure how one deselects at a certain edge... so I ended up just going and deleting the two problem polys and just re-selcting the points and hitting p.

So it sounds like the problem is that there are two point polys that do not show up in statistics and are attached to some other geometry. Hopefully fixed in 9!

Sorry for the poor explanation.

I think what I meant was in wire frame if you deselect using an edge that does not contain the non plainar the non planar will remain selected. if you click the edge that has the non planar it willl also deselect so you have to select and deselect until you find the little bugger.

Hope this helps in the futrre. :)