PDA

View Full Version : Chroma Key

crazy frog
11-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Howdy.

I have an ancient Trinity box in my school for our television program. It works ok, but I admit that everyday that it runs is a lucky day.

I went to a conference on television production a few weeks back and the school that hosted it had just picked up a Tricaster. I was able to poke around on it a bit, and it looked impressive.

However, my question is about chroma key. Does it do chroma keying? Its a state standard and we have to have it. Also, if it does chroma, how good of a job does it do? I like the price and functionality of the Tricaster... but for only around 5 grand... is the quality of the chroma sacrificed?

Assuming it does chroma in the first place. :hat:

Jim_C
11-25-2005, 08:59 PM
http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/keyer.php

Tricaster does a very competent job of keying. Especially if you send it a clean svideo signal from good cameras. If you are using DV cameras it helps if the feed is before the compression to DV.

crazy frog
11-25-2005, 10:08 PM
We actually have two cameras we use right now. A Panasonic 456 Proline beast that will be going on our new weather wall (as soon as I assemble the supports for the green screen cloth), and the main green wall has a Cannon XL1 aimed at it.

Our main use for chroma is mainly backgrounds and, eventually, a weather wall.

I have been told by other teachers that I should go with a Globecaster instead... but I really liked the Tricaster... and its price.

So assuming decent lighting (which is all the circuts in my classroom can do) and the cameras I got, the chroma should look as decent as in the Trinity, or better? How much tweeking for the color can you do? Or are they preset shades of green and blue?

Any input I am grateful for.

BTW... thanks for pointing out the obvious link on the webpage. I just didn't poke around in the right places. lol! :newtek:

Jim_C
11-25-2005, 10:23 PM
lol.. you should do a search here for Globecaster.
And the responses are not just because this is a Newtek forum. They are from previous users of the system...
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=40057&highlight=globecaster

You can use any shade of any color you want for the chroma key.

Where are you located? Your best bet would be to get a demo from a dealer.

Jim

crazy frog
11-25-2005, 10:38 PM
The closest dealer is somewhere in Phoenix. Its a horrible drive. If you ever get a chance to go there and drive, jump off a cliff instead. That option is much less painful. Afternoon rush hour starts at 2:30 and ends sometime around 8.

I will check out the link you gave. I look forward to getting more information. Right now I think I am leaning more towards a Tricaster... with our two camera operation that basicly just does morning announcements and the occasional assembly in the auditorium, thats all we need. Especually if it does chroma and does it well.

And if the graphics are easier to edit on the Tricaster than they are on the Trinity... which doing graphic work on the Trinity is about as fun as getting your wisdom teeth taken out.... then I may be sold.

Thanks.

I will keep my eye on this, of course, in case there is any other feedback. :thumbsup:

Jim_C
11-25-2005, 10:45 PM
I will keep my eye on this, of course, in case there is any other feedback. :thumbsup:

As helpful as this forum is I bet you will.

There are some dealers who will come to you. Have to see what happens.

The Tricaster sounds like exactly what you need. It is designed to make everything it does as easy as possible. And it pretty much succeeds on all points.

Jim

(you can subscribe to this thread if you want and get an email whenever anyone responds.)

KWeaver
11-26-2005, 12:25 PM
We have done Chroma key with the Tricaster™ as well as live webcasting!
It does a good job of both! We are in Tucson, and we do travel the state. Where are you located? Email me at vid2u<NOSPAM>@aol.com and we can discuss how we can help you out!
Ken Weaver
Bradley Audio Video of AZ
"VT4™ Rocks supreme, Do more for less, with Tricaster™"