PDA

View Full Version : mainstream movies and their related software tools

Gaze
11-25-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm wondering which software packages were used to create effects in which movies. Please mention any you know of. No doubt there's a mix in many cases, but if you know of which program was primarily used, I'd be interested to hear.

toby
11-25-2005, 08:58 PM
There's a list of movies done with LW here:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/film.php

The effects in Day After Tomorrow and Stealth were done with Houdini rendered in Storm, jet fighters in Stealth were modeled in LW, animated/rendered in maya/renderman, almost everything else is Maya/Renderman.

loki74
11-25-2005, 10:36 PM
on the non-3D side, we've got Shake, and a number of other comping/roto apps. Inbetween the 3D and 2D side we've got some mach-moving stuff--SynthEyes and PFTrack are the first that come to mind.

Dexter2999
11-27-2005, 03:18 PM
I think if you go to each of the top software sites they will tell you what they were used in.
Maya, Softimage XSI, Lightwave, they will be your heavy hitters. Seems a pretty common practice for a company to use multiple packages.

From what I hear, Maya is popular for texturing.
Lightwave seems to be a favorite for rigging and modeling.

I remember on the MONSTERS INC. DVD in the extras they mentioned that they did the rigging in LW, Textured in MAYA, and they have their own software for renders RENDERMAN.

Also one movie might have to source out effects to multiple FX houses so there could be even more variations in that case.

Oh and don't forget about your plug-ins. Real-flow, Sasquatch, Massive, Z-Brush, etc... Then there are the big boys like PIXAR and ILM who write their own plug ins because they don't like the off-the-shelf stuff.

toby
11-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Nobody rigs in Lightwave for feature films. Even Jimmy Neutron was done in Messiah. I think you mean Pre-viz. Maya is 'the' app for rigging.

loki74
11-27-2005, 07:21 PM
yeah, IIRC LW is more popular for pre-viz and titling.

BeeVee
11-28-2005, 02:20 AM
LightWave is used a lot for rendering, effects work, modelling.

Here's my list: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/projects.html

B

Gaze
11-28-2005, 02:59 PM
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info and the lists!