PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Check out what's comin' in LWCad2.0

digefxgrp
11-24-2005, 10:05 PM
http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?strana=lwcad2

Finally.... NURBS!!!! With all the cool bells and whistles that go with them.
The trim and blend tools are PIMP. So are the various snapping features.

The wait is what's gonna drive me insane :2guns:

Craig Paup
DEG

CB_3D
11-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Wow, some really good stuff in there!

shermanlu
11-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Looks pretty cool...it should be in 9...

JVitale
11-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Looks really nice..do you guys know if it allows to render in a blue print format kind of like Solidworks or Inventor allows you to do...I dont use CAD much these days but I've worked with Solidworks and Inventor

Mylenium
11-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Quite cool. Too bad I'm rarely using LW Modeler these days, so I guess I'll pass this one...

Mylenium

trick
11-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Quite cool. Too bad I'm rarely using LW Modeler these days, so I guess I'll pass this one...

Mylenium

I only use Modeler for importing and texturing 3ds-models from FormZ. But LWCAD is definitely a cool tool. Now if only these tools would work in 3D, then I could leave FormZ for what it is...

Spring 2006 !! I hope we had some [9] bug fixes by then ;)

Mylenium
11-25-2005, 12:19 PM
I only use Modeler for importing and texturing 3ds-models from FormZ. But LWCAD is definitely a cool tool. Now if only these tools would work in 3D, then I could leave FormZ for what it is...

Spring 2006 !! I hope we had some [9] bug fixes by then ;)

Well, I use modo and really look forward to 201. It's not strictly feature packed for CAD/ viz style work but expandable and offers many important tools natively such as snaps. And it feels definitely much, much faster. I mean I might consider getting LW-CAD and doing some stuff in LW Modeler, but what use is it having such cool plugins if you're back in slow land when dropping those tools? I really wish Modeler gains some decent speed improvements in future releases.

Mylenium

Yog
11-25-2005, 01:50 PM
As a person who does this sort of work a lot, I've got to say I'm VERY impressed. Actually better than MAX in some areas (not a put down, MAX has some excellent tools for this), and even approaches Autocad fuctionallity in some areas.

There is a cynical part of me that wonders if we are actually seeing a preview of LW-10's "new" and "innovative" modelling tools though 8~
I'm a little surprised NT hadn't bought these tools for LW-9, I can't imagine they wont for LW-10 though.

Pavlov
11-25-2005, 06:17 PM
As a person who does this sort of work a lot, I've got to say I'm VERY impressed. Actually better than MAX in some areas (not a put down, MAX has some excellent tools for this), and even approaches Autocad fuctionallity in some areas.

There is a cynical part of me that wonders if we are actually seeing a preview of LW-10's "new" and "innovative" modelling tools though 8~
I'm a little surprised NT hadn't bought these tools for LW-9, I can't imagine they wont for LW-10 though.

Agree. Consider that Newtek recently added things like Magic bevel (awesome but totally useless), Dangle and other low-entry stuff, so i'm not surprised since their priority list is clearly different from mine (?).
Anyway i think they should run *tonight* and hire this guy since it has definitively a lot of potential, such addings to modeler would boost userbase a lot.
I'll repeat this, i know a lot of people not using LW just because of lack of DXF/DWG support and lack of a decent Osnap toolset.
Let's hope they listen our praises and buy this jewel to help modeler become a truly professional tool.

Paolo Zambrini

pixym
11-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Look very very promising... :thumbsup:

Nemoid
11-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Agree. Consider that Newtek recently added things like Magic bevel (awesome but totally useless), Dangle and other low-entry stuff, so i'm not surprised since their priority list is clearly different from mine (?).
Anyway i think they should run *tonight* and hire this guy since it has definitively a lot of potential, such addings to modeler would boost userbase a lot.
I'll repeat this, i know a lot of people not using LW just because of lack of DXF/DWG support and lack of a decent Osnap toolset.
Let's hope they listen our praises and buy this jewel to help modeler become a truly professional tool.

Paolo Zambrini

yeah that. modeler needs these tools . they're great for archiviz and much other things too. the DXF/DWG thing is different, because it comes from Autodesk being very protective about their format.
if NT is clever, they sooner or later will hire the guy and include them

Matt
11-26-2005, 02:44 AM
HOLY SH!T!!!! That is awesome!!! When when when!!! I want this now!!!!!

3DBob
11-30-2005, 02:56 AM
The current LWCAD tools are brilliant and a must have for all those doing any type of Ach Vis. They integrate wonderfully and give you a whole set of tools on a tab that really make a difference - and cap hole studio is included free.

I have to say - Version 2 looks stunning. This guy can program. If you have a arch vis job that takes 5 days - get this because you will pay for it in time saved.

3DBob

nthused
12-01-2005, 12:50 PM
The current LWCAD tools are brilliant and a must have for all those doing any type of Ach Vis. They integrate wonderfully and give you a whole set of tools on a tab that really make a difference - and cap hole studio is included free.

I have to say - Version 2 looks stunning. This guy can program. If you have a arch vis job that takes 5 days - get this because you will pay for it in time saved.

3DBob

Amen! Love this plug-in...cannot wait to have 2.0

LightHeaded
12-01-2005, 02:23 PM
BTW, what is Cap Hole Studio? I saw a mini-animation of the tool(s), but can someone describe a bit more?

A Mejias
12-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Sigh. Like many other useful features (or is it futures) :) I've been asking for good CAD like snapping tools since version 4.0. Let's hope that there is something in the works for a 9.x release.

LightHeaded
12-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Sigh. Like many other useful features (or is it futures) :) I've been asking for good CAD like snapping tools since version 4.0. Let's hope that there is something in the works for a 9.x release. :o Hmmm...doesn't look good for 9 regarding snaps. Maybe 10...in '07??? Heck, that's only two decades late, no rush

pdrake
12-06-2005, 12:13 PM
heh, that's funny. magic bevel. woohoo!

i still do quite a bit of modeling in formz just because of this. it can be cumbersome going back and forth. wish i could do it all in one program.

newtek, are you listening?

lesterfoster
01-11-2006, 09:44 PM
As good as LWCAD looks to me, I have to ask. Are there any dimensioning tools in it.

I like all of the tools in LWCAD, but I see nothing on the website to do with dimensioning. There are between 50 to 60 tools available in that plugin. And I think that I can use all of them. But are there any to do with dimensioning tools.? Or is there another plugin available that can do this for me.

Basically what I want to do, is select two points and know just how far that they are apart from each other. Something that is available an all other cad programs.

BTW, what is Cap Hole Studio? I saw a mini-animation of the tool(s), but can someone describe a bit more?

It finds holes in your models, and it fixes them for you as well. Try the demo.

habañero
01-12-2006, 04:48 AM
lesterfoster, this is available through I think several plugins, try flay.com.

Absoute dimension will give you x, y and z distances.

There are plugins that will calculate volume as well. But I agree that dimensioning aint LW's forte.

jb_gfx
01-12-2006, 04:58 AM
Hummm... look really neat

mattclary
01-12-2006, 07:12 AM
I think this will be going on my birthday or Christmas list! :hey:

gerry_g
01-12-2006, 01:38 PM
I have the current version of LWCad and although the snap tools work as advertised – scale, move, stretch and rotational snap, they tend to balk at large complex objects, they only seem to work just fine when being used as per the current set of vid's show, i.e. on simple geometry......... what is sorely needed is an industrial strength snapping solution, as per other aps.

MooseDog
01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
select two points and know just how far that they are apart from each other.

http://www.animidas.no/default.asp?section=tools&art=5

plug-in called Mezure v1. hope that helps :thumbsup:

geothefaust
01-12-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.animidas.no/default.asp?section=tools&art=5

plug-in called Mezure v1. hope that helps :thumbsup:

I must say, the plugins on that site, are extremely useful for archivis.

KillMe
01-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Finally.... NURBS!!!! With all the cool bells and whistles that go with them.

dont you mean finally nurbs curves? - i dont see nurbs surfaces mentioned

ercaxus
01-12-2006, 03:22 PM
dont you mean finally nurbs curves? - i dont see nurbs surfaces mentioned

I think easyspline from trueart will be something like that.

coremi
01-12-2006, 11:43 PM
http://www.giannisoldati.com/e_framehome.html

the dimension tool i found, very very useful, not fo angles but u can change dimension with this one, way cooooool.

pdrake
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
how long is a curve:

http://www.happy-digital.com/freebies/splinelength.html