PDA

View Full Version : Modelling a revolved profile from plans

Simercer
11-24-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi im fairly new to LightWave and my problem is i want to model this revolved object, i have the cross section plans through the object with all the right measurements etc but im not sure what the best tool to use is to draw the to be revolved profile.

ive thought of scaning into illurstor and tracing them off but i dont feel this would turn out accurate enough, when i have the measurements here just need to input them some how?

Thanks Si

Simercer
11-24-2005, 05:33 AM
If it helps here is the part im trying to do, just how would you draw this profile??

Thanks Si

liquidpope
11-24-2005, 09:27 AM
What will you be doing with this that accuracy will be a problem?
I would trace this image right in a Modeler window, then lathe it.
If it really needs to be more accurate than that, I'd draw the profile in ACAD and export it, then lathe it in Modeler.
I guess it all depends on what you're doing with this model. Knowing that will help us choose a proper solution.
Whatever you decide, someone here can get you there. No problem.

Dodgy
11-24-2005, 09:49 AM
I'd use the Spline draw or Bezier tool to trace this in modeler. You can load it as a background image in modeler then use the lathe tool to make it round. I've done loads of this type of work. I also wrote a lathe around 2 points tool for those trickier lathes at an angle, which you might be interested in. Check my web page for it.

liquidpope
11-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Here's a quick example of lathing a poly made of points that were traced from the drawing.
I drilled (boolean subtraction) all 10 holes after the lathe process.
All in all, 15 minutes.

Simercer
11-25-2005, 09:49 AM
ok, well i was asking in the first place because im coming from more of a AutoCad and Autodesk Inventor background, but am now starting on Lightwave.
Thank you all for your input, in the end ive tracted around the profile in adobe illustrator and then saved it down as 8 and them loaded that into lightwave which is working well.

thanks again Si

liquidpope
11-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey, Si.

You can also export solids models from ACAD to a 3DS file, then load that into LightWave.
I do it all the time for my day job, which is all ACAD.
There's a bit of clean-up to do in LW, but it's quick and easy if you're more comfy with cad modeling.
Definitely learn to model in LW though. It's different than cad in many ways, but just as easy.
There's a boat-load of tutorials to get you started right here, and at Flay.com, and Spinquad... a bunch of places.
Silkrooster's forum is great too. Lots of cool stuff.
Good luck and happy 'waving!

Jimbo