PDA

View Full Version : General Lighting Techniques

Demon
11-24-2005, 02:35 AM
Hi all,

i ve got a question for you guys and i hope that question is not too stupid. When it comes to lighting, a lot of ppl told me that i am quite talented. I ve also read the great book: Rendering and Lighting by jerremy Birn. But i am still wondering how to achieve the real "sun look". What i mean is: i watched a lot of reference pics and i discover that the strength of the sun seems to be, with a distant light, around 200% in strenght. But all srufaces seem to be overlit then. reducing the diffuse level is pretty much useless coz the object gets darker and has something like a "grey gradient" over it but still feels overlit. Hard to discribe. I will add some reference pics to explain further when i come home later. Maybe we all can share our experience with "real world lighting" here. Hope to get some responces. Many thx in advance

cheers,

Demon

Captain Obvious
11-24-2005, 02:41 AM
In order to get a sun-lighted look, I think you should use either radiosity, ambient occlusion or a big blueish area light. That's the easiest method. The thing about outdoor sunlit areas is that the shadows are blue, because they recieve quite a large amount of illumination from the blue sky.

Capt Lightwave
11-24-2005, 06:43 AM
With G2 from Worley, you have total control for each and every surface, what amount each light affects the surface...it's a great tool for just that. Apply 200% to your sunlight and then reduce the effect it has on the surfaces that looks overlit.

Demon
11-24-2005, 06:47 AM
thx captain,

but i dont have G2. it should be possible jsut with native LW tools?! as i said i want to post some pics to explain...when i get home from work i ll do that.

thx, for the response tho

cheers,

Demon

toby
11-24-2005, 02:42 PM
This is something I've been thinking about recently too - how to show brightness without 'blowing out' surfaces.

A lot of it has to do with exposure, how bright to show the contrasting or shadowed areas. There are ways to make it 'look' like it's a bright day without having to use intense light.

If you look at photos taken on bright days, you'll notice some areas that are either blown out or jet black. A few spots of white that are blown out, especially highlights, is ok, and dark shadowed areas help the image look real. In this image for example, there's no question that it's a bright sunny day. Funny thing is, my supervisors would never accept this image if it were cg, and you'll rarely see it even in the top cg movies, because of the lack of detail in the bright and dark areas.

toby
11-24-2005, 02:46 PM
White objects can be tougher to keep from blowing out even when not sunlit, the trick here is to make sure there's enough color in the lights. If you light a white object with the colors of the environment around it, it fools the mind to look like it's 100% white. This is important in sunlit areas too, if the blown out areas falloff into different colors the effect is similar.

Demon
11-25-2005, 12:49 AM
hi toby,

i got ur point. very interesting. cant wait to come home to get my fingers on lightwave and try that out immidiatly. Many thanx for that reply. :thumbsup:
here is a great Link (http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light03.htm) that covers all the lighting stuff for various day situations. thx to Gerardo who showed it to me.

cheers,

Demon

toby
11-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Yes I have that bookmarked ( but still haven't finished it ), it's a fantastic website, it should be required reading.

cresshead
11-27-2005, 07:57 AM
excellent light tutorial link...i hope that his book publishing deal gets a green light soon! [scuse the punn!]

steve g :D