PDA

View Full Version : more digits of precision in expressions?

mgrusin
05-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi Newtek-

Since LW8 is boiling away on the stove, I thought I'd mention this for hopeful inclusion before it's called 'done'.

A few projects ago I was using expressions in the graph editor, and ran into problems that seemed to be caused because there are apparently (?) only four digits of precision available after the decimal point (Pi = 3.1416).

For many functions this may be plenty, but for trig it often isn't. For example, if you set up a sine wave to blink a light, after only 300 frames the sine wave will be out of sync with the frames, leaving every frame at ~ 50% brightness until it comes back into sync. (I know there are other ways to blink lights, but my point is that this seriously limits the usefulness of what should be straightforward expressions).

Given the number of digits available in even single-precision floating point format (8?), limiting expressions to 4 places is, well, limiting. Increasing it would be much apprecieated.

Thanks Newtek! -MG

Mylenium
05-08-2003, 11:33 PM
This may be an argument but in case of functions such as Pi I think they implemented them as pre defined functions for a reason. So why not use those instead of inputting values manually? Since internally everything with much better precision, this should do.

Mylenium