PDA

View Full Version : Particlecolor change collision

Koen
11-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to setup particles in such a way that if they collide/pass an object (like a filter) their color changes (let's say from grey to white).
I've been playing around with an event-collision, but I just don't get it the way I want to. I searched the forum and the manual isn't very clear on this subject.
Any suggestions, tutz?!
Thanx!

K

Mylenium
11-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to setup particles in such a way that if they collide/pass an object (like a filter) their color changes (let's say from grey to white).
I've been playing around with an event-collision, but I just don't get it the way I want to. I searched the forum and the manual isn't very clear on this subject.
Any suggestions, tutz?!
Thanx!

K

The only way that is safe is to use event collisions and change the group of the particle - different particle groups can have different shading properties. However, this won't work if you are changing parameters using gradients since they evaluate the overall lifespan of the particle not just the time after the "event".

Mylenium

Koen
11-22-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanx M.
I was already thinking it was going to be something like that.
But since it's going to be a pretty straightforward movement of particles (maybe animated with wind) passing through a static object, I'm just going to change the particle color based on the particle age.
A real pity that hypervoxels won't do a 'simple' thing like changing the color when it passes through an collision object. :)

K

SplineGod
11-23-2005, 12:45 AM
You could try a gradient based on distance to any object or the value procedural with a falloff so that the HV is a particular color until it reaches that threshold. :)