PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious polygon shadow problem

apaulcalypse
11-22-2005, 01:49 AM
Ok, I posted a problem i was having with SasLite a few days ago and got great help, so sorry to trouble everyone again, but I just can't figure this out...

Problem:
My mesh seems to have polygons missing [that aren't actually missing], which makes for random holes in my character. His shadows also are spotted with holes because of this. Antialiasing doesn't help, even set to the max.

Process of getting to this problem:
I had been trying to use SasLite on my main character (yeti) model, but his polygon count was too high. After help from this forum, I sliced him up into different layers, and had these new layers "use bones from" my original layer. I then aprented all the new layers to the original layer. Then I had to reset all my bones to their rest position at frame -1. After this, I noticed the missing-polygon-looking problem.

I'm fairly new to Lightwave, and aside from anti-aliasing, I wasn't sure what else to try. I would guess that the missing polygons would show up along the seams where I sliced, but when I looked, most of the missing polygons did not lie on any seams at all. There are just random polygons missing from random parts of the yeti's body.

I'll include two pictures, to show what's happening. It's really weird, and I can't figure it out. Any help, ideas or feedback is much appreciated, and I'm sorry to bug you all with another problem so soon.

jeanphi
11-22-2005, 06:07 AM
Check if you have non planar poly in modeler. If you have some triple them.

jeanphi
11-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Yoy should triple all of them if you do animations deformations on poly models.
If it is just static models, just triple non planar polys.
You don't have to triple if you use subdiv.

apaulcalypse
11-22-2005, 12:47 PM
That's the weird thing... I have no polygons with more than 4 vertices, no non-planar polygons, nothing like that. I can't figure it out.

gerry_g
11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
That's the weird thing... I have no polygons with more than 4 vertices, no non-planar polygons, nothing like that. I can't figure it out.
Think you're confusing ngons (poly's with more than four sides) with non plainer polys, i.e. ones that are bent more than the tolerance level allowable, any quad is susceptible to this, where as triangles can never be non planer, hence the advise to triple them

toby
11-22-2005, 06:32 PM
I think they're all sub-d polygons, right? So non-planars are not an issue -
Your Subdivision order is probably wrong, try After Bones or After Motion.

Hopefully the objects on different layers won't show more holes - if they do, try making them overlap.

Rory_L
11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
The quad polys which seem planar in modeler may become non-planar (and hence non-rendered) in Layout when they are deformed in the animation. As jeanphi said, triple them all...and next project, use sub division surfaces! ;)

Edit: Not related to the above problem, but I notice your renders show all polys as unsmoothed. LightWave's interface is confusing and for first timers important elements can be hard to find. In the surface editor window (keyboard F5), under the 'Basic' tab, at the bottom you'll find a 'Smoothing' button. Check this button for all your organic shaped model's surfaces and adjust the smoothing threshold, then re-render and see the difference: the snowy hill and yeti should look 100 times better!

Cheers,

R