PDA

View Full Version : Parenting and bone movement

Schwing
11-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Iím new to character animation and working with bones and their movement. I modeled this little guy who in an anim is swinging a hammer. I parented the hammer to the hand object which worked fine when moving the hand though the majority of the swing. But towards the end of the swing, when I rotated the wrist bone to make the swing look natural, the hammer did not move as the hand did. Should I have parented the hammer to the wrist bone instead of the hand object? If the wrist bone made the hand object rotate, why didnít the parented hammer move with the hand?

Tom
http://www.cdrvideo.com/images/camy2.jpg

pooby
11-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Bones only deform the object they belong to (unless otherwise specified).. that hand is being deformed not moved.. your hammer is not going to be deformed by the bone as it is a separate object.
As you suggested, had you parented the hammer to the bone, the hammer would have been affected by the bone's rotation..
Deformation is different to Moving and rotating even though it may produce similar results.

SplineGod
11-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Bones can move things by either deforming them or having items directly parented to them. Parent the hammer to the wrist bone or one in the hand itself.