PDA

View Full Version : Undo for selection

Nitisara
11-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Every time I miss Translate View icon or some tool button in Modeler and suddenly reset my long-cherished selection, I think that undo for selection is necessary.

Ztreem
11-22-2005, 03:29 AM
I agree, it can be very irritating sometimes.

walfridson
11-22-2005, 03:48 AM
Select one poly or point and a "select all of the same surface/part/uv" feature would be nice also..

ercaxus
11-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Select one poly or point and a "select all of the same surface/part/uv" feature would be nice also..

I don't know if this helps but there's a plugin called something like "select uv island". I used/liked it. Good luck about surfaces and parts though :D

Wickster
11-28-2005, 10:09 PM
This one has my vote also...Even a simple "Recall Lasts Selections" Button, sort of like an undo for selections only would suffice.

erikals
12-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Complex selections that are lost are annoying.
Hope it would be an on/off feature or something. (preferably shortcutable)

TripD
12-29-2005, 03:06 AM
The mechanism is in place already I think. Sometimes you can just 'undo' a couple few times to get back to a useful selection set. Atleast that has been working for me.

evenflcw
12-29-2005, 06:06 PM
"Sometimes you can just 'undo' a couple few times to get back to a useful selection set."

I think that is more of a positive side effect than a consiously implemented feature. Besides, it specifically does not work for "accidentally dropped selections" which I believe is the main reason users (self included) want to be able to undo selections.

Snosrap
12-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I'd only like it if you could turn it off. I think modo has this and it annoyed the heck out of me. Some painting apps (Corel Paint) have an undo that un-does layer selection and that seems silly as well IMO. Also some apps won't allow you to undo past a save point, which is totally ridiculous. ( I don't know about you, but I don't save because I'm done and happy, but to avoid losing all my efforts up to that point because of a crash.) For me LW's undo is satisfactory and there are so many tricks to selecting points and polygons that this had never been an issue for me.

Snos

Nitisara
12-29-2005, 09:16 PM
I would prefer separate undo for modeling and selection.
Or maybe it would even be better to disable "unselect" on border click - it would solve all problems at once.

Lamont
12-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Maya handles selections/mode-switching/tools in the un-do. I kinda find the selection part in the middle of being a pain in the butt and something useful. It adds to the memory making Maya unstable, but it makes up for Maya's crappy selection tools when I select the wrong component.

Why are you hitting the icon and not the KB/M combo?

evenflcw
12-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Indeed, an option to deselect-on-border-click would solve most of my issues and probably be a better solution for me. I think I'd ideally like to LMB double-click to loose the selection. Then I could do it anywhere and wouldn't have to bother with clicking in the right spot or a hotkey.

Photoshop also does something with the layers when you undo. I hate that too.

Nitisara
12-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Why are you hitting the icon and not the KB/M combo?
Personnaly I don't like Modeler perspective viewport navigation with KB/M.

ercaxus
12-30-2005, 03:45 AM
It's probably only me but for some reason I can't get used to other type of viewport navigation. I tried wings3d and went through all the viewport navigation presets in the options but nothing feels like lw modeler.
If there are people who don't like modelers keyboard-mouse viewport control and If there is already another option available(like the one you get by clicking on icons on window borders) I say it should be in the options, so everyone can select what he wants to be the default.

btw I just tried using icons, they are too small, I keep missing them. It slows me down. I hate trying to aim stuff with my mouse, unless I'm playing a game.

hulagirl7
12-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Every time I miss Translate View icon or some tool button in Modeler and suddenly reset my long-cherished selection, I think that undo for selection is necessary.

Sounds good to me.

But you can do something about it now!

When I have that "long-cherished selection", I make sure to save it
as a selection set. It's only a few more clicks, but can save headaches.
I don't even name the sets, as LW increments the name. Going through
a few vaguely named selection sets is still better than re-selecting!

Lewis
12-30-2005, 09:45 AM

Hmm Isn't THAT (above in text) already IN for long time ? I know that in point/polygon statistics i can select all kind of things. Like by part name, by surface, by color, faces, curves, 4,3,2,1 vertices and few other ways of selecting. I always have open statistic panel , layers panel and numeric panel in modeler.

As for suggestion about undo/redo selection i agree it could be useful but only as separate part and not part of "normal" undo right now :). I also used LWs icons for rotating, moving and paning long time ago and then i "forced" myself to learn using ctrl,alt and shift combos and NEVER gone back to those small icons and i'm not way faster in rorating,zooming and paning in modeler. ANd bouns on top of that is tha ti don't remeber when i lost selection last time :). Same combination of keys/mouse works in layout also so you'll benefit there too. It took me two days of modeling to get used for that way of navigating but now my fingers work on their own and i don't have issues with droped sellections or so :). I even don't click anywhere at interface to intentionaly deselect anything, I use keyboard shortcuts for "deselect" and "drop tool" assigned to my mouse buttons which it's way faster way to model than before.

For quick workaround i'd suggest you that you make "part" of current selection so that you can select it quicker if you lost it and need to use it few times. Not a best solution but usefull sometime if you really don't want to use keyboard combination :).

toby
01-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Another benefit of the key-combo rotate is that there's no gimbal lock. You can rotate freely forever - it's also very nice not having to aim. Makes it a no-brainer and very fast to rotate-zoom-rotate-pan-zoom-pan-rotate-pan if you want. Try it for a couple days.

The deselect thing is definitely a double-edged sword - personnally I like not having it recorded in the undo memory.

Hardwater
01-02-2006, 03:28 AM
A quick workaround...
Once you get to a point in your selection where your afraid to lose your work but still need to keep selecting.

An easy way to add your selection to the undo/redo list is to choose any modify tool(move, rotate, etc...) and click once(not drag) in any viewport. Deselect(make-"return") the tool and keep selecting your points or polys.

This will preserve the selection and modification of 0......

I agree this should work better...

:agree:

I also don't like the default "Drop Current Tool" hotkey("/"). Way to easy to make a mistake right next to the zoom keys. I made my "Drop Current" hotkey "?" and "fit selected in views" to "/". The "fit selected" works better with the zoom keys and its harder to lose selections.

:)

evenflcw
01-02-2006, 06:02 AM
"Drop current tool" shouldn't even be needed. If we could easily alter selections while tools were active it would be a thing of the past and Modelers workflow would be alot more fluid. But that discussion belongs in another (recent) feature request thread. Personally I don't use the command at all. I just click any tool-hotkey until tools are dropped. I got a fingers on either t, y or h anyways. (Doesn't the spacebar drop the current tool by default aswell?).

Although I don't agree with the default keys either, I think they are beyond complaint as the software provides ways to change them yourself. No two users will think the same setup is the best (, everyone works differently). So NT shouldn't bother trying to make a better one. Leave that to the individual user and the community!

Hardwater
01-02-2006, 09:25 AM
The "Drop current tool" deals with selections not tools like move. The word "tool" can be misleading....

The "Deselect(make) tool" deals with dropping the tools and is tied to the space bar when a tool is active. I just prefer the return/enter key cause sometimes a user can be in the numeric panel and hitting the spacebar will alter your values, return/enter will accept the values.