PDA

View Full Version : preview problem

jozefus
05-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Just installed LW 7.5 as upgrade from 5.5. But now I can't get a preview-view. The make preview works, and the preview play runs, but there's nothing to see in any window.
In options there are no possibilities to select a display format: this is greyed out.
Any ideas?:(

Mylenium
05-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Does your graphics card work properly with OpenGL? Are your Quicktime and Video for Windows properly installed? At the moment these are the only two things I can think of.

Mylenium

jozefus
05-09-2003, 03:34 AM
Hi Mylene,
Thans for your response.
Open GL is OK: I can see rendered frames
VfW is OK: I can load and play movies. Same for QT.
Jozefus

js33
05-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Hi jozefus,

Try this. Go to the scene editor and change everything to
wireframe. Then try the preview. If that works change it back to textured OpenGL and try it again. If it works then cool if not your GL card might not have enough memory.
What kind/brand card are you using? Amount of mem?

Cheers,
JS

Sensei
05-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by jozefus
Open GL is OK: I can see rendered frames

This means nothing. Rendered frames are show by DirectX/GDI not by OpenGL.

jozefus
05-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Wireframe also doesn't work.
The card I use is a Matrox G450 dual head, 32 MB.
Maybe because I use two monitors? Although dragging windows to the other monitor didn't help.
I will try switching the card back to one monitor and see what happens. Thanks for your suggestions. Keep you informed.
Jozefus

mattclary
05-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Yick, Matrox.... Get an Nvidia card. A cheap $40-50 Geforce 4 MX will be better than a Matrox.

js33
05-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi jozefus,

Yeah like Matt said the Matrox cards aren't very good for 3d and OpenGL they are primarily made for video editing. Stay away from ATI cards as they are good gamer cards but have always had bad OpenGL support. Get a cheap nVidia GeForce card. I would recommend at least a Ti4200 or better for dual monitor support and performance.

Cheers,
JS

jozefus
05-22-2003, 05:02 AM
Hi JS!
Thanks for your reaction.
I looked at the GeForce Ti 4400 but I can't find the information I need: How to connect two flatscreen monitors? And is it also suitable for video? Because I use the same machine for animation and for video-editing.
Maybe you can give me a link where I can find more info.
I already visited the nvidia site but the info there is quite less.
Jozefus

js33
05-22-2003, 06:26 AM
When you say flatscreen monitors do you mean LCD digital or analog flatscreen CRTs? nVidia doesn't actually make the video cards. They make the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit).
Also the 4200 that I have has two video outs. One is a DVI and the other is analog vga. Since I have two analog 19" CRTs I had to get a DVI to VGA adapter to use both outputs. If you have two DVI screens I assume you would need a VGA to DVI for the second screen. Or maybe some cards have 2 DVI outs.
Look around there are several companies that make nVidia based cards. Just type "GeForce" into google and you'll see whats available.

Cheers,
JS

jozefus
05-22-2003, 01:54 PM
That helps!
I've two analog VGA-monitors 1024 x 768, but I didn't know that a DVI to analog VGA converter exists. That makes it much more easier to find a suitable graphics card, because I found several of them while I was seaching for a card with two analog VGA outputs.
I now know that there's much more choice than I supposed.
Thanks!
Jozefus

bentan
08-02-2003, 02:49 AM
Go to your documents and setting, look for the lw3.cfg.
Open up and scroll to the "previewOptions" Change the numbers behind it to 1 0 1 1. Save it and try to make preview now, should be able to play now.

Regards,
Ben

jozefus
08-21-2003, 03:31 AM
Hello Ben,
It took awhile because of holidays, but yesterday I changed the PreviewOptions as you said and voila! It's working perfectly now.
Thank you very much for your advice. Great help!
Jozefus

bentan
08-21-2003, 04:02 AM
hi there, no problem just helping out. : )

Extent
08-22-2003, 08:14 PM
I have the same problem (I'll have to try the preview options like you say) It randomly started happening one day on my Gloria II, and continued to happen on my new FX5600. It's probably a driver issue. I had spent a lot of time experimenting with different driver versions for the multi-monitor setup to get overlay and OGL support accros all displays. Do you know specifically what those options set in the config file tho. just a curious mind :).

jozefus
08-23-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry, Extent. I've not the faintest idea of what the meaning is of the preview settings Ben suggested. I only know that it worked for me.
BTW: I use a Matrox G450 Dual head graphics card and in spite of what others have said it works flawlessly for me. I can extend the basic screen of LW to both monitors, or have LW on one and Modeler on the second monitor. I also can choose on which monitor I want to see the render display.

Extent
08-24-2003, 08:23 PM
AFAIK when you work with a multihead card like that you get the hardware acceleration over both displays no problem, the Matrox cards just suck for performance. I get OGL over all screens too but I had to tweak the OGL_advanced registry setting to get it.

Extent
08-25-2003, 03:48 AM
well changing the settings defenatly worked, tho at first I didn't think it did because it crashed every time, but it's just because I had left it on direct draw, which for some reason never works. Once I bumped the display format to DIB it's great.

An interesting note tho, after I got it working, and checked it over a program restart I checked the config file out of curiosity, and the Preview Options setting was at 321 0 1 2, which I think is what it was at before I used the settings above, but I didn't think to remember it when I changed it.

But as long as it works I suppose who cares:cool:

jozefus
08-25-2003, 05:58 AM
Nice to hear it works for you.
I checked the settings before and they were something like 147 0 1 2.
Jozefus