PDA

View Full Version : Successful grass using Fprime?

Johnsongraphix
11-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Has anyone out there in LWland created a realistic dimentional grass using Fprime and no postwork? I need grass to cover sharp sidewalk edges and create bump along shadow lines in an architectural piece.
I was thinking about creating a million little clip maps with clusters of grass on them but this seems tedious and my rendertime will probably be superslow and I don't think it would be worth the time involved in creating it.
Any suggestions??
Any help??
Ryan

toonafish
11-20-2005, 08:09 AM
some time ago I created a soccerfield with sasquatch grass.

At first I started from scratch but the rendertime was way too long. Then I used some settings from a demo scene that comes with sasquatch that came close to what I needed and renderd fast. I tweaked those and ended up with a soccerfield of acceptable looking grass that renderd under 10 minutes in print rez.

hope this helps.

Johnsongraphix
11-20-2005, 09:19 AM
As always, thanks for your reply. My scene is already too large to render useing LW, so I confined myself to using Fprime. Fprime doesn't support Sasquache (or however you spell it), so I'm looking for alternate successfull solutions using fprime for the render.
Anyone??

toonafish
11-20-2005, 10:16 AM
sorry, I didn't read your first post very well.

If you're using Fprime, then you're limited to using some kind of geometry I suppose. So you could 1: use some kind of plugin like Polas Grass generator.
2: create some simple grass shaped poly's and clone them on your geometry in modeler.
3. clone the grass shaped poly's in Layout with some kind of points to objects pipeline ( check Flay, I'm sure there's plenty of scripts for that ). I think Fprime will also render the image faster if you use clones in Layout.
3:use some big polys and clipmaps or transparancy maps as you mentioned yourself. But maybe creating some Greyscale grassy images in Photoshop with the proper brush is less of a hassle then finding textures of grass that fit your needs.
4: Maybe you could render some grass in Sasquatch with an alpha channel and then use that as a color and clip- or transparancy map on some big polys in your Fprime render.

Johnsongraphix
12-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I really appriciate your comments Toonafish. I tried polas grass generater and well, it just became to many freakin polys. I guess Fprime is so fast I can stand to go back to the LW render mode. I tried 40,000 grass blades using the generator which gave me 120,000 polygons for the grass alone. It still did not seem dense enough for me and my layout was crawling- and saying "please,please... no more polygons!" I believe my scene ended up with 3,000,000 or so polys without the grass.
Anyhow thanks again, but I ended with flat grass with a slight bump. for the still I'll probably use that cool grass brush in Photoshop, and for the animation , hopefully it won't be so noticable while the frames change.
Polas is a cool plugin, I hope to find a purpose for it someday!
Ryan

MooseDog
12-01-2005, 04:21 PM
since fprime now supports hypervoxels, you could try adding grass clip map to hv sprites, using the ground as an emmitter.

Katachi
12-01-2005, 04:34 PM
hi,

I am a new LW user but I assume you could use HDInstance with several topologically different blades and distribute HD instances without consuming too much RAM. instances even allow detailed close-ups and can be animated (if the description of the plugin site is correct), in return it renders slower, but at least it can be rendered. :)

Captain Obvious
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
HD Instance doesn't work with Fprime, unfortunately.

UnCommonGrafx
12-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Grass and Fprime, in my mind, are antinomy.
(chuckle, my first choice of words wasn't correct. But looky what I found!) ;)