PDA

View Full Version : divx for mac

loebek
05-08-2003, 12:20 PM
check it out:
http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

until i got my new 17"powerbook (40days left) I cant test it.....
sigh.....

give feedback please

cu
loebek

Beamtracer
05-08-2003, 03:39 PM
I don't know why anyone would want to encode with DivX. Quicktime MPEG-4 gives better file sizes, better cross platform support.

loebek
05-08-2003, 03:49 PM
true beamtracer but sometimes there are only divx avis available (worleylabs)

Beamtracer
05-08-2003, 08:13 PM
The feature of the new Mac DivX is that it can encode as well as decode. I thought you may have been referring to encoding.

Yeah, I was annoyed by DivX stuff all over the Worley site. It took me a while to be able to play those demo movies. I eventually found out that a second DivX application used to correct an audio bug was actually making the movies unplayable on my machine.

I really don't see any point for anyone posting DivX material on the web. There are better things around.

Zarathustra
05-09-2003, 10:03 AM
My initial tests on a 6 sec, 720x486, 29.97fps clip are that QT mp4, at the default bit rate of 1064 was a smaller file then a default divx at 780 bit rate, but the divx looked better.
Original, uncompressed: 179.2mb
MP4: 904kb
Divx: 932kb

When I upped the divx bit rate to 1064, the quality was a lot better but the file size was 1.4mb.

The divx thing has been driving me crazy for a long time trying to view clips all over the net of various 3D artists' work. My initial reaction is animosity towards divx, but in truth I feel I have to have it to at least view work. Whether I encode with it or not I still have to decide.

It may be a per case thing, due to the detail in the clip, color variety, etc.

toby
05-09-2003, 01:47 PM
I've been encoding with 3ivx for months now (not for anything serious - my Invader Zim collection), and while I haven't done bit-for-bit tests, I'm sure I've gotten noticeably smaller file sizes than with mp4, that look pretty good.

Unfortunately comparison tests are now a pain because since the latest 3ivx rev, if I try to export an mp4 it comes out as 3ivx!?!

toby
05-17-2003, 02:35 AM
just tested it again, mp4 set to 1024Kbits/sec looks noticeably worse, and about 75% larger file size (40.5mb) than the 3ivx (23.9mb) - 3ivx set to %100 quality. (5.15 min. of video at 360x202, 24fps)

Zarathustra
05-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Could we stop with the inflamatory, socio-political signatures, please? This is hardly the place and is nothing more then a distraction.

toby
05-17-2003, 01:41 PM
I dunno, I think it's one thing signatures are for - It's not insulting, it's not the subject of the thread, and when it comes to someone trying to take over the world like Hitler, it's worth mentioning anywhere - asking me to take it down is kinda like asking me to take off my peace-symbol t-shirt in public - (but thanks for asking politely)

Red_Oddity
05-20-2003, 04:40 AM
I have more problems with MP4 then with DivX.

For some reason MP4 comes in such a rediqulous amount of formats (some MP4 files won't even play on the Mac, where as DivX always did for me, yes there are audio problems, but hell, even Blizzard uses it for their movies and they worked kinda okay on my Mac)
Another nice problem that kills any interoperability between Macs and PCs:
first Apple ditched MPG in general out of their PC Quicktime, thus making Director Projects a complete friggin hell to create, and now we seem to have different MP4 formats...

*sighs*

If only Bill and Steve would kiss and make up, it would make our creative lives so much easier...For some reason wars are always fought over the back of innocents (corporate and international conflict...)

Beamtracer
05-20-2003, 03:55 PM
There are many different MPEG-4 codecs. Most are better than Apple's own one.

Also try Sorenson 3 which is standard on Quicktime 5 and 6. Set the quality a bit less than best. Set the Keyframes to something high (100 or more).

Zarathustra
05-20-2003, 04:19 PM
I used Sorrenson for a long time. There's no comparison for size/quality with divx.