PDA

View Full Version : New product

Dick Nelson
11-19-2005, 06:31 PM
This is not a feature request it's a request for a new product known as LightWave Lite. This product would be for people like me who have no training or experience in graphics. LightWave is too complicated and uses lots of terms ("specularity" comes to mind) that are meaningless to me. The new product would use simple everyday terms and perhaps be stripped of some of the really sophisticated stuff that novices like me have no need for. Granted, it wouldn't be any good for the producers of "Star Wars" but it would be great for those of us who just want to animate text, simple objects, and logos. When NewTek takes me up on this idea and makes millions of dollars off of it, I expect a commission.

UnCommonGrafx
11-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Honestly, even a lite version would have to use the same terms in order to prepare you for the day you are able to handle LW big.
As an example, their Inspire3d product would fall into the Lite category but it's foundation is LW; to that end, there are lots of similarities while still be easy to use for those new to LW. So, once they release Inspire3D, again, then you'll have the tool.

The vocab is different than one's everyday conversations but it is learnable. ;) Don't sell yourself short: screw the words, make a pretty pic by pushing all the buttons. :D The knowledge will come.

Mylenium
11-20-2005, 08:01 AM
This is not a feature request it's a request for a new product known as LightWave Lite. This product would be for people like me who have no training or experience in graphics. LightWave is too complicated and uses lots of terms ("specularity" comes to mind) that are meaningless to me. The new product would use simple everyday terms and perhaps be stripped of some of the really sophisticated stuff that novices like me have no need for. Granted, it wouldn't be any good for the producers of "Star Wars" but it would be great for those of us who just want to animate text, simple objects, and logos. When NewTek takes me up on this idea and makes millions of dollars off of it, I expect a commission.

Umm, then perhaps you decided for the wrong program in the first place? What you are requesting sounds like something programs like Carrara already do. Apart from that I have to agree with UnCommonGrafx - even a program with only two buttons can't spare you learning the technical terms to work with it ("specualrity" is commonly used throughout all 3D programs, so it isn't even something exotic or very special). If you're having trouble understanding things, reading up is really the only thang you can do.

Mylenium

cagey5
11-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Wasn't this what the latest incarnation of Inspire was supposed to provide. A simplified interface for those with limited requirements. Logo design etc.. If I can find Chucks original post I'll edit this later..

Well found the press release for it, but looks as though it may have been put on the back burner for the time being as everyone works on getting LW9 finished..

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-25-05b.html