PDA

View Full Version : SasLite restrictions



apaulcalypse
11-19-2005, 12:45 AM
Okay, here's my problem:

I have finished the motion for a 60 second animation. The main character, the Yeti, has about 29,000 polygons with no subpatching (that's a ton, I know... but I'm a n3wb).

I was gonna use SasLite to give him hair, but SasLite's polygons-per-layer cutoff is 25,001.

I've searched around for solutions and tried a few things, but nothing ahs worked so far.

If I do "reduce polys," all the motion gets effed up.
If I slice up the yeti and place bits in different layers, I can give the layers hair, but these additional layers aren't affected by my bones (which are in the first layer), so the animation gets all messed up.
If I copy the yeti's polygons that I wanna add hair to, and paste them in another layer, I can reduce-poly them and add hair to that layer. The problem is, this second, hair-covered layer doesn't move with the first layer (with all the bones and weight maps). This seems like my best track for fixing this problem, but I have no clue how to make this second layer respond and act the same as the first, in unison and everything, in the animation.

Sorry about this super long post, I'll owe a life-debt to anyone who can help.
Thanks a bunch

Rory_L
11-19-2005, 03:43 AM
Okay, here's my problem:

If I slice up the yeti and place bits in different layers, I can give the layers hair, but these additional layers aren't affected by my bones (which are in the first layer), so the animation gets all messed up.

This is the way to go. You have to select these parts in layout and even though they don't have any bones, you click on their bones properties panel and tell them to use the bones from the first layer object. All should work well then.

You might still encounter another problem: Saslite limits the number of objects in a scene that have the plugin applied. If you get this you'll have to split the scene and render a top half of body pass and a bottom half of body pass, compositing later.

Cheers,

R

apaulcalypse
11-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Thank you so much!

I just got back from class, and tried your solution, and it worked like a charm.

I owe you a life-debt.

Thanks!
:D :D :D

toby
11-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I would try reducing that mesh! The benefits are ten-fold! Band-Glue is your friend!

Can we see a wireframe of the model?

apaulcalypse
11-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Here are some wireframes...

I know, the polygon count is totally absurd. It was my first time ever modelling anything organic, or using splines for that matter. Lesson learned, I guess.

(hopefully the attachments work...)

toby
11-19-2005, 01:35 PM
If you spent some time with Band-glue I'm sure you could reduce it a bit - it'll make it easier to animate and faster to render.

apaulcalypse
11-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Oh, no... new problem, and it seems like it should be a simple fix but I don't know what that would be...

So, I cut the yeti up into a couple layers so that SasLite could handle it.
I made the new layers "use bones from" the original layer, and they new layers move according to the bones.

But now, as the yeti (original layer) moves across the field, his arms, etc are left behind (though the bones move them accordingly, they don't stay attached to the body).

Any suggestions? I don't know how to make the multiple layers stick with the main layer as it moves through space.

Thanks for any help.

Silkrooster
11-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Did you try parenting the layers?
OT: Nice to see someone local on here. I am about 90 minutes from you.
Silk

apaulcalypse
11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I tried parenting the layers. Here's the weird thing, though:

If I bring the sliced model into a new scene, parent the layers and all that, everything works and it's cool. Making nw motions with the altered model works just fine.

In order to save the 60 seconds of animation I have already completed, though, I need to be able to open my existing scene, with the modified (sliced) yeti model, and then parent the layers... Same as before, but with the pre-existing motion, it doesn't work. The layers just kinda go where ever they want.

Basically, slicing the model and then animating it works. Unfortunately, I have 60 seconds animated already, and in this case, the sliced model doesn't stay together.

Sorry, that is probably a bit unclear. It seems like there should be some obvious fix that I just don't know about (I thought parenting layers would work, but it didn't).

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

toby
11-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Try re-resting the bones once the layers are parented, do it at frame 0: that should be your un-deformed position.

If you already have animation ay frame 0, go to frame -1, select all the bones and reset all their rotations. Then rest them.

apaulcalypse
11-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Hahaha! I just tried it (re-resting the bones at frame -1), and it worked.

I can't thank you guys enough, you really saved my butt.

You're all geniuses, thanks a million. :thumbsup:

Rory_L
11-20-2005, 12:58 AM
I owe you a life-debt.

No you don't. Just pass on the tip to the next guy who asks. I learned about the use-bones-from trick here; and enjoyed the chance to hand it on to you.

Cheers,

R