PDA

View Full Version : Layout crashes on calculate Bone Dynamics

andrewBwinter
11-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Having trouble with a "tentacle" made in modeller.
The skelegons are placed, cvt to bones in layout, bone dynamics and all the rest of spring, weight, etc is applied, IK Boost....

When it comes time to calculate the dynamics of the tentacle moving in the wind, I get the beachball of death and layout crashes.

Mind you, I don't have any problems when I test bones parented to a null with a wind effector.

Could it be the complexity of the deformation of the tentacle??

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Will advise if I can fix it myself.

Best,
Andrew

andrewBwinter
11-17-2005, 02:19 PM
nope, keeps crashing, even with a simple tentacle.

a

Dodgy
11-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Do you have your bounding box threshold set higher than the number of polys in your tentacle. I found a bug with hard dynamics and that, and I wonder if this is the same thing...

andrewBwinter
11-17-2005, 05:37 PM
no. still no dice.
When the IK chain is set-up and manually manipulated with the cursor, no problem, other than pinching of the mesh at the joints.

BBThreshold is set at 500 with 1160 polys.

A

Dodgy
11-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Does that mean your bb threshold is set to LESS than the number of polys in your object? Sorry, I meant make it MORE than the number of polys in your object and see if that fixes it. :)

andrewBwinter
11-18-2005, 06:16 AM
According to the manual, bbt below the polygon count improves motion and bbt above makes it choppy.
I set the bbt below the polygon count and it crashed.

However, when I did a straight gravity test with a simple tentacle model falling from upright to hanging down below, it worked.

Then, I added a wind effect with a blast down the z of about 3m and presto, the tentacle waved in the wind.

However, if you take a look at the two .mov tests (with and without wind) you'll notice some weirdness toward the end when the tentacle magically starts standing up, folding over itself and all other manner of strange action, after the effects are applied.

Anyway, small steps, simple geometry and it seems OK.

Here are the two tests (not set to streaming):
http://www.kultfactory.com/gravity.htm
http://www.kultfactory.com/wind.htm

Have a boo.

Cheers,
A

andrewBwinter
11-18-2005, 06:59 AM
It would appear that when a weight map is added (UV to Weight) for the purposes of deforming the tentacle, I get an error message:
"Format error 108 for loader $1_LW02.", even after the weight map was "Cleared" in Modeller and all traces of it removed from the "T" drop down.

Come to think of it, it crashed when a weight map had been applied the very first time I posted.

For the successful tests however, no weight map was applied and the tentacle was built anew. After successfully animating the tentacle, I changed the geometry with a weight map in Modeller and now the once successful tentacle can't be loaded into Layout.

Odd.

A