PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question, but I cant figure it out?

malikai666
05-08-2003, 11:49 AM
I know for most of u pros this is a stupid ?
Im very familliar with after effects and am slowly learning lightwave.
Im creating a scene and want different objects to come in at different times. In AE id just slide the objects bar over to a different starting position but cant figure this out in LW. Anotherway Id do it is just make the opacity 0 in AE and bring it to 100 when I wanted it to appear.
Whats the easiest way to do this in LW. As we speak Im searching the book and Im sure its a simple process but I dont see a way in the graph or scene editor.

eblu
05-08-2003, 12:41 PM
malikai666,
object dissolve, in the object properties pallete (hit the p on your keyboard), under the Render tab.

you add an envelope to the object (click on the E button next to the value) and you add 2 keyframes... 0 at the frame you want it to be visible, and 100 the frame before that. select the keys and in the Curves tab, set the Incoming Curve menu to: Stepped.

looks hairy, but its really straight forward and easy to understand... once you get used to Lightwave's quirks. Lightwave when it was first written assumed that you wanted to see every object all the time. So instead of changing the way Lightwave works, usually the developers add a new feature (hence all the crazy buttons). I personally like the way Aftereffects does it, but I dont think of this as a deal breaker.

malikai666
05-08-2003, 01:02 PM
hey thanks, Im glad you understand my problem.
Ill try it, but what about Opacity, does LW handle opacity in a similar way to AE
or is it also much more complex?

eblu
05-08-2003, 01:58 PM
its more complex.

opacity isnt enough, because opacity doesnt control specularity.
so if you were to animate the opacity channel... youd also have to animate the specularity channel, and make sure the keyframes line up. and if your Object had more than one surface... then you'd be animating the opacity and the specularity of each surface independently. And if that weren't enough... Lightwave doesn't understand instancing... so when you have to make a change... you have to do it to each individual surface, and make sure you keep them all lined up. Lightwave has some tools that help you do all this, but they dont make it as easy as using object dissolve.

another problem with animating opacity/specularity to hide objects, you also run more risks of render bugs because the object is rendered even though its "invisible" so it might show up in reflections, have some inverted specularity for a few frames, maybe apply a shader plug-in... its just a big hassle. with dissolve, no such problem.

take a good long look at the tabs in the Object Properties pallete, there are some Neato things, that when animated they can make some cool effects (a good example is the polygon size, in the Edges Tab, hint: you have to render to see the effect)