PDA

View Full Version : Most used Modeler Tools? Which plugs could be removed?

Demon
11-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

i was wondering if there has been a thread that shows the most used tools in Lightwave, but i couldnt fine any. I am using LW since Version 5.0. When i now look in my plugins folder i see a huge amount of plugins i ve never heard about and never used. I am like a messy: i collect all kinds of plugs and never use them :D

What do u guys think of explaining the plugs u most recently used? lets say every Waver picks up one to 3 plugs from modeler he uses the most and explains in short terms what it does. Like in Layouter there is a plugin i never ever used: sockmonkey. i never missed that. what the **** is that for? i need to lookup that in my LW6 manual somewhen...would be nice to clear my plugin folder to a min of plugs really needed in a production pipeline. I am also aware of ppl having various ways to achieve certain results.

How about sharing the most used plugin/s?

i hope u guys participate in that post. Thx in advance

cheers,

Demon

Matt
11-17-2005, 10:00 AM
One of these days, I'm going to strip my LightWave interface / plugins down to the bare essentials that I use.

Should remove about 75% of the buttons of out the interface!!!

Verlon
11-17-2005, 02:13 PM
I figure it will be like anything else in my life.....the first thing I throw away will be the thing I desparately need on my next project.

Murphy is REALLY good at getting me like that. I don't care if its a virus hack that only serves to crash lightwave.....If I delete it, I will be assured of needing it soon...

hrgiger
11-17-2005, 03:11 PM
You may want to take a look at Riki's page here: http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/

Demon
11-18-2005, 12:40 AM
@hrgiger

thx for that link. interesting information. :thumbsup:

chhers,

Demon

ivanze
11-18-2005, 08:07 AM
What a great link!!

Thnx hrgiger.

Dodgy
11-18-2005, 10:45 AM
I have to say some of the vmap commands could really do with a good shake out. The colour ones barely work properly in a straighforward manner (the adjust HSB/RGB tool only works with colour maps which have alphas I think, instead of working with both types, the point colour should read the current selected colour map without you having to select it, and so on) The UV maps stuff could be almalgamated into fewer more useful tools. Flip UV only works on a poly basis, which isn't terribly useful, I tend to use a plugin for that and the tools on the whoel just don't seem to work terribly reliably or predictably.

We could also do with some sort of tool which allows you to copy ALL Selected maps(from colour to UV maps) from a background mesh to a foreground mesh (on the selected polys), using a distance falloff, so you can copy them from a low poly mesh to a high one, or even mirror maps using a left/right convention. TMWMC does a little of this, but it really needs to be made more complete and straightforward to use.