PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Newtek!

wgreenlee1
02-07-2003, 06:40 PM
This is so cool!
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

IS this a pre-cursor to the Lightwave and Aura updates?
:D

Tom Winnicki
02-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Yes, thank you NewTek. But could you make it wider please.

Joril
02-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Tom Winnicki
Yes, thank you NewTek. But could you make it wider please.

Oh, have a heart for all the people who still have to run on low resolutions.
Looks not all that bad on my 1280x960 though :)

Matt
02-07-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm with Tom here, wider by default please and smaller fonts, it's just a little too big in the thread lists (can't please us can you! :p )

Elmar Moelzer
02-07-2003, 07:06 PM
I love it the way it is!!
And finaly avatars too and allt aht funky stuff!
Thanks Newtek!
CU
Elmar

Chris S. (Fez)
02-07-2003, 07:11 PM
"Nice place...lots of space" :)

Lewis
02-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Yeh this now looks great :).

I would like wider forum also but even this is hughe progress in forums (maybe that huge jump will be visible in next LW version also ;)).

BTW i'am sure that can be made "adaptive" to screen resolution since its like table properties wich can be specified on pixels or percentage of screen.

OK enough complains for now. Congrats to NewTek.

Memz
02-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Gratias Newtek!!

CTRL+X
02-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks NEWTEK!!! Looks great

Goodby CGTALK?????

Joril
02-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by CTRL+X
Goodby CGTALK?????
I don't think so ;)

Alial
02-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Awsome update guys!

I love the new forums. A few little tweaks and it will be one of the best out there!

*But it could never be as good as LWG 3D (www.lwg3d.org) :D

The Great Raja
02-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks NewTek, now a easier way to show the makers of Lightwave what we can do with thier way kewl program!

Jockomo
02-07-2003, 11:46 PM
Yea, I'm loving this new forum. It's my new homepage :)

Alec Trevelyan
02-08-2003, 02:30 AM
yup, definitely looking good there! just make it wider is all;)

nin_10_do
02-08-2003, 02:55 AM
Love the forum redesign, cool color scheme and graphics.

rabid pitbull
02-08-2003, 07:47 AM
Good going Newtek! keep building the best cg community up!!

WilliamVaughan
02-08-2003, 08:09 AM
These new forums makes it so much easier to use then the old forums.....I love the speed and ease of use!

Emmanuel
02-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Well, well,

its okay, but I really didn't miss anything in the old forums.
It worked okay the way it was, and its distingued look was nice and calm.
But then...maybe this forum will attract more girls ???
The easy file attachment thing is great, though !

Tom Winnicki
02-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Oh right, big thanks for the color scheme. Now my poor eyes are not being burned out by a pure white BG.

nelsonm
02-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Wow!

Nice place you got here...

Will we be able to display "new messages" like the old forum?

:)

ingo
02-08-2003, 09:48 AM
Great improvement to the old version, especially in speed. Just make it wider and remove some of the distracting buttons, looks much better in the Topic review window when you post a reply.
Ok, now th next thing, when can we get the updated Lightwave ?

Pensart
02-08-2003, 12:54 PM
YEAH, THIS BOARD REALY ROCKS :D

novadesigns
02-08-2003, 10:35 PM
Yeah this is very cool Newtek! Way to go! :) Although I could agree with making it a bit wider.

lord
02-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Good Lord, Newtek enters the 21st century;) .
Looks great, very professional.

oxyg3n
02-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Newtek,

I think your new forums are great, I would like to see the page a little wider too.

It sure beats the pants of the old site, I was thinking to myself just the other day that it would be nice to be logged in automatically like cgtalk does. And now I have it!

I wish I could upload an image like I could in the old forum though so I wouldnt need to use a webserver to show larger pictures.

Lebish
02-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Newtek, Are you there.. I mean is newtek moderating and running this? I mean the old forums are still coming to my box.. does this just meant that there are two forums going.? is the old one going to eventually kick the bucket...?

I mean... Its all too fast .. and so much ..I am going to faint..

Psyhke
02-09-2003, 02:35 AM
Chuck's post announcing these new forums stated that the old forums would be taken offline on Monday. (And become an archive).

PixelDust
02-09-2003, 07:27 PM
I'm glad they're keeping the old forum as an archive, because there's some good stuff there. And I like the new forum because all the posts don't have to load on the same page like on the old forum. It sure helps out those of us still stuck with dial-up! :)

Skonk
02-09-2003, 07:31 PM
I dig the new look, old forum was good but i prefere this one. Needs a few tweaks with regards to posting images tho.

James..

WilliamVaughan
02-10-2003, 07:48 AM
old forums will still be available but will be locked today I think....

Skonk
02-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Im kinda glad the old one will be locked, to force everyone onto this one.

James..

WilliamVaughan
02-10-2003, 08:45 AM
I'm just glad the old one will still be onliine so that we can all get the valuable info it holds :)

Skonk
02-10-2003, 08:59 AM
Well yeh that too :D there is a hell of a lot of usefull stuff in there, maybe it could be compiled into an offline resource for download or cd or something?
Just a thought.

James..

ted
02-10-2003, 08:46 PM
I like the, keep it online for now but lock it too.
I already spend too much time on these boards. But what a great learning tool they are!

GruvSyco
02-10-2003, 09:10 PM
I like this new site very much. I have 2 suggestions though:

1. Link this site from the Newtek Page. Discussion groups still goes to the old forum. I figure this is just a matter of time though.

2. Change either the names of the subcategories or (I don't know if this is an option) change a setting so that when i do a "View New Posts", I can more easily tell the difference between LW Genereal and VT or Aura General. As it stands, they all just show up as General.

other than that, no gripes at all.

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 01:20 PM
GruvSyco:

1. The site will link to the new forum in the coming days, plus, there will be links from the forum to the site.

2. The sub-categories have been updated with a prefix that will help distinguish them when using the "View New Posts" feature.

Everyone Else:

I believe the old forums will remain open for a couple days still while we make this transition, then they will be locked. We will link to them still for reference, but all posting capabilities will be disabled.

The forum has been widened and the option to use the [IMG] tag has been re-added. You can also "Attach" and image or file by utilizing the, hmmm, "Attach File" option when posting.

That's all for now, we just wanted to get the new forum rolling and iron out the kinks before we lock down the old forum and it looks like we're getting close.

paulfierlinger
02-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Is there a way to subscribe to an entire forum, not just a thread? I find checking out the board a time killer and I have cable modem. It's faster to delete a few messages I'm not interested in than going through this process. Then there's the issue that boring threads often drift into interesting ones.
Paul Fierlinger

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 01:53 PM
You can subscribe to a forum or individual threads. Once you enter a forum (like this General Discussion forum), there will be a "Subscribe" link at the very bottom of the page. I haven't used it personally, so I don't know how it works, but it's there just the same.

Hope this helps!

paulfierlinger
02-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Mike, but I'm not making myself clear: I'd like to receive by e-mail every forum listed under Aura -- whatever is posted on those Aura forums would automatically be e-mailed to me. How do I do that?
Paul Fierlinger

MGuerra
02-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Well, I did some checking around and it looks like that's not a feature in this version of the forum software. Currently, you can only get email notification from threads you participate in. Then, it's only an email that links you to the actual thread.

The new version of the forum software will supposedly have the ability to add forums and/or thread to a list that will be emailed to you like a daily digest. This way, rather than just having a link back to the forum, you can actually read through the posts in your email.

They don't have a release date that I could find, but it's been in beta for a while, so it probably won't be long. Once it's released, assuming there are no overbearing obstacles, I'm sure we'll update to it.

Sorry, but that's all I could find on the subject. By the way, for those of you wondering... The subscribe feature only puts a link in your Control Panel, so you have a running list of your "favorite" forums/threads and does not actually allow you to receive email notifications.

Oh well, we'll have to wait...

paulfierlinger
02-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Oh well, I'll just wait -- not what lurkers like to do.
Paul Fierlinger

GruvSyco
02-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Hey thanks Mike... Truly a thing of beauty now.

banshee
02-12-2003, 04:44 AM
It's got more life to it in terms of appearance. The other site was pretty sterile looking but functional, direct and to the point. I will miss getting 100+ emails every morning from the subscribed groups. It made me feel sort of important :( .I am glad to hear about the "old board" keeping its content. It has been an invaluable encyclopedia of lightwave for me through my learning process. Anywho... I like it :D

CreationLtd
02-18-2003, 08:42 AM
To add my voice to the choir...

Thank you NewTek so much for this new forum system. It improves my searching for help immensely. I won't despair anymore each time I have to look for help using Lightwave.

Scolopendra
02-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Yeah, thanks NewTek! Thanks for this new forum, thanks for archiving old one. Thanks for new, better site design. Thanks for LightWave, thanks just for beign there and for keeping your amazing work guys.

And thanks in advance for LightWave 8.0 and for all outstanding features to be implemented in new version :D