PDA

View Full Version : Blend glass to chrome

monfoodoo
11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
How can i blend a surface from glass into chrome gradually(say, a Spoon for example).i messed with weight maps, but i,m not getting it. scott

yazan
11-16-2005, 01:29 AM
You should be able to accomplish it using weight maps. I fixed a quick example for you using object distance.
Here's what it looks like, if you can compare the wire to the rendered, the bottom part is refracting the bottom spheres, however th top part is not refracting after the mid point. Its based on a 2m falloff of transparency and reflection.
http://www.null.jo/Testing/Glass2Chrome.jpg
and here's the surface preset
http://www.null.jo/Testing/Glass2Chrome.pst.zip
mind you that you have to make sure the object used as a reference in picked in the reflection gradient channel and the transparency.
If you can break down the solution to your problem, you can then apply it to weight mapping as well instead of using object to distance.
makes sense? if you're still having problems, e-mail me.
Yazan

Matt
11-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Another way would be to render the animation with the object as glass, then as chrome and use a package like Premiere or Vegas to blend one animation to the other, the only drawback is that it will blend the whole object in one go which might not be what you want.

toby
11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
When you say 'gradually' do you mean over time or over distance?

For a gradual change over distance, you need to have both sufaces in the scene, apply Surface Mixer ( in the shader tab ) to the spoon, set the blend to 0 and add a texture. Create a gradient image in Photoshop that goes from 100% black to white and use this in the texture. You'll have to experiment with what gradient works for you, LW gradients probably won't. You can also animate the texture layer to change the surface over time.

If you only want to fade directly from one surface to the other, use the Morph Target modifyers' Morph Surfaces option.

Axis3d
11-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Try this:

1. Load an object. Give it the appropriate surface settings (glass). Give it a
surface name of Glass. Save it.
2. Change the surface settings to be chrome. Give it a surface name of
Chrome. Save it as a different name.
3. Make sure both objects are loaded into Layout. Make the chrome spoon
Unseen by Camera.
4. In the Surface Editor, click on the Shader tab for the glass spoon object.
5. Click on Add Shader and add Surf Mixer.
6. Double click to get the controls. Under Blend Surface, choose the Chrome
one. You can use the texture types (Gradients, procedurals, etc.) to act as
the method for blending the two surfaces together.

Hope this helps.

SplineGod
11-17-2005, 01:16 AM
What I usually do is to create some single point polys and give them surface names. In layout create your chrome surface and make it look good on that object. Copy/paste the surface to one of those assigned to the single point poly. Create your 2nd surface and use surfmix to do the blending as axis described. :)

monfoodoo
11-20-2005, 01:38 AM
I'll give it a try.Thanks scott