PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 problem... default.lws

eblu
11-15-2005, 02:27 PM
can anybody refute or support this?

in the LW 8.5 addendum pdf, on page 10, it says...

"Default.lws

Layout now recognizes a “default.lws” scene. If you save a scene named
“default.lws” in the root of your Content Directory, each time you open Layout it
will open this scene. " (thats a direct and complete quote out of the book)

I spent nearly an hour trying all the permutations of possible interpretations of this overly vague snippet of text, and lo and behold... it doesn't work. I figured it was a Mac only feature omission, but after speaking with a co-worker, he decided to give it a try on a PC. didn't work there either.

Can Anybody get this to work at all?
I want to know exactly what I'm dealing with before I submit a bug report.

Thanks in advance
-eblu

marlo.steed
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
If it is not there already, it should be. One should be able to load any number of template layout scenes. Sure, you can import a scene after the fact but that is a pain and there is always clean up to do after the fact. That should be an option when sending an object from Modeler to Layout for the first time. I tend to recreate scenes over and over again after I have imported an object, yes, I know there are ways around this but prebuilt template scenes would make the work flow so much easier and intuitive since so many other apps use that approach.

I guess I am suggesting this be a feature request - assuming it isn't an undocumented feature but it seems that is not the case.

eblu
11-15-2005, 03:03 PM
marlo... its supposed to be a documented feature. it doesn't work for me... I'm hoping you guys can tell me if it works for you.

murdoch
11-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Not working here either. Surely info in the prefs file should be changing for this to happen?

Matt
11-15-2005, 04:50 PM
It needs to be located in your default content folder, INSIDE the Scenes folder, so ...

YOUR_CONTENT_FOLDER/Scenes/Default.lws

I kept putting mine in the top level of the content folder and it didn't work, once it was in the Scenes folder it did.

If you have it there and it's still not working, check you have the same content folder location in your LW preferences ('o' key in Layout).

Should work.

Matt

Darth Mole
11-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Not here - tried putting the file in almost every folder and nothing.

eblu
11-16-2005, 07:03 AM
It needs to be located in your default content folder, INSIDE the Scenes folder, so ...

YOUR_CONTENT_FOLDER/Scenes/Default.lws

I kept putting mine in the top level of the content folder and it didn't work, once it was in the Scenes folder it did.

If you have it there and it's still not working, check you have the same content folder location in your LW preferences ('o' key in Layout).

Should work.

Matt

matt,
that does not work on my system. and I might add... it conflicts completely with the instructions from the addendum. Interesting.

matt, how do you set up your content directory? is it in your Lightwave[8] directory? are all of your projects in that content directory? or do you use an individual content directory for each project located somewhere besides the default location?

BazC
11-16-2005, 09:32 AM
I can't get it to work either :( Tried every variation I can think of!

Matt
11-16-2005, 10:23 AM
I have mine setup in a wierd way, so I don't have to keep setting the content directory to each project folder before I load anything.

My content folder is on my D: drive (instead of the default C: - clearly using Windows) inside that folder I have my Scenes, Objects and Images folder, then inside each of those I have the project folder with the tag _lws _lwo _img depending on which folder it's in.

So it looks like this:

eblu
11-16-2005, 10:53 AM
I have mine setup in a wierd way, so I don't have to keep setting the content directory to each project folder before I load anything.

My content folder is on my D: drive (instead of the default C: - clearly using Windows) inside that folder I have my Scenes, Objects and Images folder, then inside each of those I have the project folder with the tag _lws _lwo _img depending on which folder it's in.

So it looks like this:

my co-worker has the exact same setup. He's the PC user that I mentioned earlier. the one who can't get LW to load a default.lws either. I don't know how thoroughly he tested it, so I'll ask him to put the scene file into his content/Scenes directory.
Matt, I was hoping to positively identify an instance where a path was hard coded, but that doesn't appear to be the case with you. It may be that this IS a Mac only bug, with the added complication that the documentation is wrong. Or it could be something vastly weirder. I'll update you as I know more.

Darth Mole
11-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Bizarrely, I've noticed that in the File>Load>Recent scenes list, my default.lws file keeps showing up - even though it's not actually loading the scene file itself!

Matt
11-17-2005, 12:16 PM
my co-worker has the exact same setup

Phew! I'm not the only one then!!!!

eblu
11-21-2005, 09:24 AM
hi guys, quick update...
it appears that we have a MAC Only bug here, on top of bad documentation.

the documentation should tell you to put "default.lws" into the root of your Scenes directory. This works for PC users. As Far as I can tell its not yet implemented on the mac.

However, If wishes were fishes and all that...
I would personally like to see an expanded template system that resides somewhere Besides my Content directory. We all use the content directory just a bit different than each other, and some of us would basically have difficulty using this feature as its has been (or not been) implemented.

habańero
11-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Second this. It should be a 5 minutes programmer job to fix this. Would actually mean lots.

It would be logical to have it support the presets system.

Then this lightscript would do the important parts I'd think:

copy value of content directory
change to specified value
open new scene
change back

And you could just make newscene1.ls, newscene2.ls for different start templates.

Having an option of saving the scene and objects and images to the (original) content folder would obviously be even better, and should not be impossible feat for a programmer.

I'll buy the first fellah to this a pint via paypal, and Norwegian one. And we have maybe the most expensive beer in the world! :]