PDA

View Full Version : GLSL Hardware Shading vs. Graphics Card

BlueApple
11-15-2005, 08:28 AM
In Layout (8.5) I am unable to view procedurals and gradients. I have heard conflicting information regarding my graphics card and its support of Open GL 2.0, so it may/may not be the problem.

I am on a Dell Precision 650 with an NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL card, with Driver Version 8.1.8.5 from NVIDIA. Windows 2000, Service Pack 4, dual monitors.

In the About OpenGL window in Layout (Help->About OpenGL,) it says the following-

Version: 1.5.5
GLSL available: Yes

Any help is appreciated.

-Adam

Earl
11-15-2005, 10:04 AM
The Quadro4 line of cards do not support the new features in 8.5. I use a Quadro4 700 GoGL in my Dell laptop, and I have to live without the new shading features.

habaņero
11-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Heard that the latest drivers have trouble with dual monitor setups.

Rivatuner from guru3d.com will let you force an OGL version, tweak and get you diagnostics information.

And are you sure you picked a procedural that is supported? Jjust checking.

BlueApple
11-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the fast responses you two. Looks like we may look into buying new cards.

I will check out Rivatuner tonight at thome; I have restricted internet access at work. The drivers I have installed seem to be working ok on my dual monitor setup so far, but I will watch for problems. I checked all procedurals, and a gradient map- nothing was visible in the window.

Take care.

xid3d
11-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Not trying to be silly, but did you activate GLSL Hardware Shading in your Display preferences?

Also, on the Dell Precison M60 w/Quadro Go FX700 the GLSL worked after I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers.

BlueApple
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Not a silly question at all; it's one of the first questions that should be asked.

It is indeed turned on- still not working.

habaņero
11-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Also, the forums at guru3D can be a good place to look for information on graphics hardware and their capabilities.

Also, did you try forceware drivers? 77.77 is what I use, the later have issues with stability on dual screen setups.

Axis3d
11-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I am using an NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 and I am able to see the OpenGL enhancements. Although, it is very slow for most things because the card is not hardware optimized. I usually leave the GLSL Hardware Shading option turned off. But it does come in handy if you want to set up, say, an underwater ripple effect (one of the few that doesn't slow the display down).