PDA

View Full Version : OpenGl decoder

Palamides
11-13-2005, 05:21 AM
hey

does anyone know of an OpenGL decoder for the lwo format?
thanks

palamides

Lynx3d
11-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Euh? Decoder? :stumped:

You mean a program to view LWO files? How about modeler.exe? :D
No seriously, the only one i know to quickly browse 3d files would be Deep Exploration, which is also a pretty rad conversion tools for all kinds of file formats, but it's not really cheap...

BazC
11-13-2005, 08:39 AM
You could use the demo of Cinema 4d, it's got a pretty good 3d browser that reads .lwo

Palamides
11-23-2005, 11:31 PM
what i mean was a decoder which could read lwo files so I could use them along with OpenGl code

Promethius
11-25-2005, 07:52 AM
It sounds like you want to use it for a game engine. From my hunting around, the only guys use raw data from LW are the Serious Sam gurus. I really do not know the details on ther process yet.....

I use Gamestudio with a Plugin coverter to MD2, that gamestudio modeler use to convert it to MDL.

forkazoo
11-27-2005, 12:09 PM
The Lightwave SDK has an LWO reading example program. I found it very easy to use in my OpenGL programs, though for optimum performance, you may want to take the data and put it into a contiguous vertex array of only triangles, so you can render the whole object with one OpenGL call.

For my own projects, I just render directly in the format that the sample code uses, using glVertex3f calls. Performance is sufficient for what I've been doing, so I haven't bothered to optimise much.