PDA

View Full Version : Dpi?

smmuck
11-12-2005, 01:52 PM
does anyone know how to control dpi in rendered stills? I need 300dpi on 18 X 24 rendered still(for print).
Thanx
sm :D

BazC
11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Render at 5400x7200. dpi is irrelevent for rendering.

smmuck
11-12-2005, 03:08 PM
ok, thats what I was going to do but I wanted another opinion. I was unsure if that was the way to do it or not.
Thanx 4 the quik response
sean

BazC
11-12-2005, 04:11 PM
You're very welcome! :beerchug:

MonroePoteet
11-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Controlling DPI in your produced image may be required if the people at the print-shop you use aren't very experienced. I think the default DPI stored in TGA files output from Lightwave is 96dpi, which means that 5400 dots is going to be like 56 inches wide rather than the 18" you're expecting.

I don't know of a way to change the output DPI from LW, but I could be missing something. What I've ended up doing is bringing the output files into PhotoPaint and "resampling" it at the correct DPI. It's instantaneous (just changes a header field in the file), and then the print-shop knows exactly what I'm expecting.

mTp

Lightwolf
11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I think the default DPI stored in TGA files output from Lightwave is 96dpi, which means that 5400 dots is going to be like 56 inches wide rather than the 18" you're expecting.
I hope you don't mind me nitpicking...
Actually, only a few image file formats actually save the dpi, TGA doesn't for example.
Most image manipulation tools that rely on dpi then assume a default, usually 72dpi, when loading such an image.
So, no default stored, but a default assumed be the loading app.

I don't know of a way to change the output DPI from LW, but I could be missing something.
There isn't. Technically it might work if one could set options for the image savers, but that is not possible (at the moment).

What I've ended up doing is bringing the output files into PhotoPaint and "resampling" it at the correct DPI. It's instantaneous (just changes a header field in the file), and then the print-shop knows exactly what I'm expecting.
Absolutely right. You can do the same in Photoshop, resize the image with the "Resample" (I think, I only have a German version here) checkbox unselected.

Man, that question should really go into a FAQ Section :D

Cheers,
Mike

MonroePoteet
11-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes, thanks for the correction. It was TIF format that I'd resampled and sent to the printshop, which apparently does store the DPI somehow.

mTp

Captain Obvious
11-13-2005, 05:25 PM
More nitpicking: the proper term is actually pixels per inch, not dots. Dots per inch is a measurement used for actual printers and scanners, and is basically the smallest possible unit it can print or scan. There's more here: http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Oh, Lightwolf, yes, it says "Resample Image" in the english version. ;)