PDA

View Full Version : Problam with LW 8 and Norton

trevorhp
11-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi,
Does anyone have the same problem as me, since I've updated to the LW8.5 i can't open the programs unless I disable my Norton Internet Security software. I think this is to do with the HUB. If anyone else has the same problem what do you do?
Thanks in advance.

Silkrooster
11-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Click on firewall, then configure. Click on programs tab. Find hub, layout, modeler and Microsoft printer spool and set them all to permit all.
Silk

habaņero
11-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Norton anything is in my opinion not good for computers, not since the early 90s.

It should be a hint that not one or two but a lot of their programs need special tools that are hidden around their website to perform an uninstall.

It is just a year since I tried their Fax program since semed to be limited options for that type of functionality. And it actually said on their site that the only way to get it out of the system was to do a 30 minutes manual procedure, editing the registry, going to safe mode, like it was a virus. I would not trust a company that are not able to make a tool that will remove their own programs, with protecting a computer.

I got 7-viruses-in-one off CNET, possibly one of their biggest customers, and the interesting thing is the infected file that Kaspersky AV was the singular AV to be able to kill would be available for download a full two months, they would just write you back several times that "they had norton" and it was probably a "false positive". Right, 10 negative reviews saying it killed their computers ...

Their backup software ghost made several of the reviewers loose the data on the disks they tried to backup.

Customer service generally is a nono.

I personally have removed with AVG a total of 46 viruses from a computer that had Norton without the latest upgrades. Which is a common thing to see, since people don't realise they only got three months of AV and act like users. Without upgrades it is helpless while many other AV will still give a lot of protection.

And finally it can make a P II out of a new computer, seriously try google. I get to fix the families computers and just removing Norton AV (with their free tool for it...), speed increases up to 4-500%. This might sound like "special cases", but I am not kidding, it is just a few months since I fixed a computer with 20 second start menu response times, and the single thing I did was uninstall a new version of Norton. It tends to make people think they need to buy a faster computer, which is the only explanation I can think of for it being bundled with new computers like Dell's.

And it has big issues with stability, and with all kinds of apps, and with networking. And don't even think of running it with another AV, it will reliably kill your windows installation in seconds.

I am not trying to diss people that have good experiences with Norton software, this is all real examples, I personally see Norton as a scam.

jpaugh78
11-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah, just yesterday i had to disable my Norton Internet Security so i could play civ4 with a friend. It was blocking the port needed to play, lol.

trevorhp
11-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your replies.
I agree with the Norton concept, what is a better alternative software wise to keep my computer safe?

I have now got the HUB and Modeler working but for some reason the Layout won't work. I have Modeler 8.3 and 8.5 available in the HUB but only Layout 8.5 not 8.3 which is still on my system but doesn't work either. Norton asks if I want to allow layout to work and i say yep and then layout crashes.

I've tried to configure maually as well.
any ideas.

really appreciate your help.

Jim_C
11-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for your replies.
I agree with the Norton concept, what is a better alternative software wise to keep my computer safe?

Although I have never really had any problem or specific gripe with Norton on any of the machines I have put it on, or worked on that had it, (I would think having to manually open a port for gaming is a good thing and proves the FW is working), I now install Zone Alarm Pro Firewall and AVG Antivirus Free Edition on any new machines. Both are less resource heavy than Norton products. And the AVG is... free....

http://www.zonealarm.com/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

jpaugh78
11-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Oh, i like norton. I wasn't saying it was a flaw that it was blocking said port. Normally when something tries to use the internet, NIS pops up and says that its trying to connect, and asks me if i want to allow it or not. Norton works very well at stopping anything from coming through. Everytime you install new software, the first time you try to run something that requires internet connectivity it will ask you if you wish to allow the program to access the net. I've not run into the problem (asside from that game i mentioned earlier) where norton doesn't let certain harmless programs interact with the web. But i wont' force norton on anybody, its just that i've not had any problems with it slowing my system down. When i used AVG it never found any virus's on my system. But then again, i don't go around downloading stuff that could infect my system either, lol.

MonroePoteet
11-13-2005, 11:20 AM
I use a separate system on a KVM switch for web / Internet access, all behind a firewall router. I only run Norton, Zone Alarm, etc. on the "gateway" machine, and LW is on a separate machine. The KVM switch lets me switch Keyboard, Video and Mouse (KVM) between them with a keyboard shortcut. I actually have other machines for software development, etc. as well, but the Internet / web is only touched from the "gateway" machine.

The best thing I like about this setup is that I can still do other stuff (like e-mail, web surfing and answering forum posts) while I've got renderings in progress. If I somehow get a worm / virus / trojan / other, the "gateway" system is my sacrificial lamb to the wolves out on the Internet.

mTp