PDA

View Full Version : video tutorials for edgeloop characters?

cresshead
11-12-2005, 10:27 AM
hi
i'm looking for some lightwave based tutorial videos that take you thru creating characters with edgloops for muscle areas etc...i have a couple of books for lw but i'd prefer videos/dvd as they are more immediate to learn from.

currently i'm interpeting 3dsmax game courseware dvd training over to lightwave which is doable but no doubt there's some tools that a seasoned lightwave user would be using rathe than just trying to find similar tools to max in lightwave like what i'm upto currently!

steveg

CB_3D
11-12-2005, 10:59 AM
hi
i'm looking for some lightwave based tutorial videos that take you thru creating characters with edgloops for muscle areas
steveg

The best way to get nice clean muscleareas while mantaining a good topology is with smoothshifting details into a clean quad mesh. This is excellent to nail the main volumes.

As to finer details consider looking into displacements.

EDIT: Sorry, no free video, thatīs what you actually asked for...
However, freedom of teach has a nice dvd tutorial from tareq on how to build a nicely detailed male mesh. Itīs XSI (i think) but the tools are all the same these days.

Link (http://www.freedomofteach.com/products/prod_category.php?sect=products&pid=cat_anatomy)

cresshead
11-12-2005, 11:52 AM
intersting answer!

yeah i'm aware of smoothshift int to gain more detail/volume

i'm looking for PAID for videos for 'lightwave' as i said i've already paid for 6 dvd's for 3dsmax and i'm okay in moving the methods over to lightwave but i'm sure there's better/faster ways than simply using max style tools in lightwave as lightwave has abut 600% more tools to use..as for xsi i'm going to bury it in a peat bog in peak district and put a map of it's location up for sale on ebay!! [ me not a big fan of xsi...can you guess!]

steve g

dogbite
11-12-2005, 12:38 PM
check out kurvstudios

ercaxus
11-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I think there was something like "mesmer xsi character modeling" tutorial. AFAIK it's not really XSI specific.
I just checked mesmer.com and it looks like it's down. Good luck :)

cresshead
11-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Kurv doesn't have anything on characters as yet...

splinegod does have a character series of videos...not sure how they finish up and if they have edgelooped details or not.

puff & larkin have a selection of videos that cover edgeloops but not in any great detail...

so does the toon character books

what i'm looking for is to understand the human anatomy and muscle groups within and what to create in edgeloops and what's not needed regarding male and female forms...more background info so that you can go off and create your own models with confidence and not just copy other's from a tutorial.

CB_3D
11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I think you are aproaching the issue from the wrong angle. For that learn anatomy, independent from 3d..

cresshead
11-12-2005, 06:10 PM
yeah your probably right, i was wondering if there maybe paid for 3d tutorials with a section on theroy and background not just the mechanics of creating 'a human model' so that it would help you create any human model not just a copy of the one in the tutorial.

i surpose practice will make perfect! :)

cresshead
11-12-2005, 06:53 PM
i'm currently going thru the discreet tutorials for edgeloop modeling and i'm using my commercial max 7.0 to create the model...it's VERY tempting to switch over to lightwave but so far iv'e resisted it...i want to complete this in 3ds max first THEN go and rebuild it in lightwave so see what the difference is such as how long and if there's any tools/methods i need to adapt much for a lightwave version..so far i think bandsaw/weld and add edges will bet me most of the way there in lw

anyway here's my progress so far!

[max]

http://www.cresshead.com/cresshead/competition%20renders/skinny_wip02.JPG

cresshead
11-12-2005, 07:00 PM
found this site has useful information on it

http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/tutorial/modeling.html

http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/tutorial/muscle_loop.html

AbnRanger
11-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Cresshead, right now, 3ds Max 7 and especially 8, has better EDGE tools....period. However, as soon as LW 9 is released, it will have a host of new Edge Tools for you to play with.So till then...

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to request of Proton...to make a brief tutorial using the new Edge tools in v 9 to edge loop model a character...enough to get us started anyway

hulagirl7
11-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Cresshead, right now, 3ds Max 7 and especially 8, has better EDGE tools....period. However, as soon as LW 9 is released, it will have a host of new Edge Tools for you to play with.So till then...

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to request of Proton...to make a brief tutorial using the new Edge tools in v 9 to edge loop model a character...enough to get us started anyway

This is unfortunately the truth. Cresshead, I did the same thing, with same
tutorial on edgeloop for 3dsmax. It's a VERY worthy exercise in modeling.
I think for lo-rez/game models, edgeloop modeling is a must these daze!
Even with hi-rez models, it just makes better sense, and better deformations.
I don't see many LW models done this way. Probably because of lack of
edge tools, as mentioned. but 8 and 8.5 do have the tools to do it, just
not as easily. LW is so much more "hands-on" than Max with modeling.
Regardless, the techniques shown in that DVD tutorial can translate to any
application, just not so quick and easy in some.

I have a BUNCH of max dvd tutorials, and I enjoy them because I can translate almost all of it into LW.

As you surely know by now, in this post the letters "LW" stand for "Lucky Wabbit".

SplineGod
11-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Kurv doesn't have anything on characters as yet...

splinegod does have a character series of videos...not sure how they finish up and if they have edgelooped details or not.

puff & larkin have a selection of videos that cover edgeloops but not in any great detail...

so does the toon character books

what i'm looking for is to understand the human anatomy and muscle groups within and what to create in edgeloops and what's not needed regarding male and female forms...more background info so that you can go off and create your own models with confidence and not just copy other's from a tutorial.

I definately cover edgeloops in my courseware pretty thoroughly. This is something that is also discussed in my support forums. I also will take student models and create videos showing how to add or cleanup edge flow.
Thats one big advantage that my courses have is that youre not left on your own. I also completely agree that how far you take it will depend on your knowledge of anatomy. :)

cresshead
11-13-2005, 04:43 AM
hi larry!

now you got me thinking!... :)
once i complete this max courseware i'll seriously take a closer look at your character modeling course.

the max course is pretty good and does some background on muscle groups and edgeflow/polyflow, that was my main reason for getting it!
max feels real clunky in comparison to lw but has some nice tools..
the tools used for creating this model were;-

create box
symetry modifier
extrude
bevel
ring [select polys in a ring]
connect [tis like bandsaw] but works with polys, edges or points.
insert vertex
remove edge, vertex
move vert along edge
move
rotate
scale

they use a picture in the back/side on textured polys but i found that annoying so i buiilt a spline version and froze it so it couln't be selected..worked better for me!

larry i'll simply HAVE to look around your forum and see what your student built following your character building course....

catch ya!
stee+cats