PDA

View Full Version : Need Assistance

Mr.Kester
11-12-2005, 06:30 AM
I have been very inspired and impressed with the skill level Iíve seen expressed in these forums. I know there are many of you out there that ďdoodle,Ē so to speak, in your spare time making incredible models and I was wondering if I could get a couple of volunteers to work with me. Honestly, I see things on these forums that some of you have made because you were board one night that blow my mind.
I am preparing a DVD proposal to investors for a feature film project and would like some volunteers who might like to build up their portfolios or just to give a helping hand. And though I hate asking people to work for free I have a memory like an elephant for those who are so generous.

If you are interested I need:

1) A horse modeled for part of our logo.

2) A PRE-VIS (3D pre-visualization) aerial shot flying through a city into a suburb to open the film and a similar one in reverse to end the film.

For the PRE-VIS I was just going to do very rudimentary cell shaded blocks to make the point, but if someone would like to do an impressive job, I would gladly let them. What I really would like help with is the modeling of the logo so that the opening of the DVD is very impressive and Iím no good at organic modeling (the horse of course).

Any one interested in getting in touch with me and discussing the details can do so by emailing me at this email address.

[email protected]

badllarma
11-12-2005, 06:58 AM
And though I hate asking people to work for free

So don't then :bangwall: I wish I had a £1.00 for each thread I've seen like these so who are the studios distributer etc....etc..........

Why don't you do it yourself especially if you want
I was just going to do very rudimentary cell shaded blocks to make the point

Oh and Poser has a good horse model BTW And if you cannot even have time to model your own bloody logo I would be realy worried if I was one of those investors

I work on internal projects / experimental projects / DVD projects myself and would not dare of asking for any one to work for nothing if I needed help.

I'm sure many on these forums have thousands ideas of their own to work on for nothing!

And if you are at a very tight time frame then pay someone to help you.

Oh one last thing placing the same message on three diffent boards about the same subject is bad form

Mr.Kester
11-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Soooo, I'll put Andy at Paintbox Studios down as a "no."

Mr.Kester
11-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Due to the gentle prodding of Andy at Paintbox Studios, I've been overcome by guilt asking if there were people out there willing to assist me for free. I had no idea there was a glut of those kinds of posts and I certainly don't want to vex the Light Wave community. I have had people volunteer for various things before because they wanted the experience or it was good for their portfolio etc. Though I canít understand Andyís entire message because his grammar may actually be worse than mine, I get his point and have edited the post as follows (on all three sites-sorry). :cry:

I have been very inspired and impressed with the skill level Iíve seen expressed in these forums. Honestly, I see things on these forums that some of you have made because you were board one night that blow my mind. I'm looking for a modeler, it won't be a very lucritive job but If you are interested I need:

A horse modeled for part of our logo.

Any one interested in getting in touch with me and discussing the details can do so by emailing me at this email address.

[email protected]

CB_3D
11-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Iīll do it for a 1000 Euro. :D

AbnRanger
11-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Andy is right! You're in a relatively bad position to get defensive about the matter, to be quite frank. Every field of the Creative Arts is plagued with potential customers trying to get "Something for Nothing" because they erroneously think people do this for sheer entertainment value. I wouldn't dare ask a C.P.A. to "volunteer" to do my taxes; so asking someone who has invested a colossal amount of their own resources in time, finances, effort, and skill to learn this TRADE would be just as ridiculous.
It's one thing to collaborate on a project for an Animation class in College, or to even do an internship...but to ask folks (no matter which site you go to) to VOLUNTEER to help on a COMMERCIAL project (of any scale)...forget about it! It's somewhat of a slap in the face, and that's why you will generally get the same response wherever you go.
Yes, there are some hobbyists here, but even they have to PAY $$$ for their hardware, and software licenses...not to mention that their time is as valuable to them as yours would be. Do you realize that EVERY artist, is in a continual process of building their portfolio. So the whole notion that "by helping you on a COMMERCIAL venture, their reward would be the satisfaction of adding another piece of their WORK into their portfolio"...is nothing more than a scheme to...once again...GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.
It's good that you revised your initial request. No one is picking on you. It's just that the nature of your inquiry was a VERY distasteful one, simply put.

Mr.Kester
11-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Look everyone, I apologize again for the offence. My intent really wasnít malevolent at all. In the years of effort getting this film off the ground I have run across many people willing to volunteer to help in any way they could. Iíve only taken up a couple on their offer and it really did help them as well as me. The art student who volunteered to story board a couple scenes because he wanted to move into that area of work but had no experience in it what so ever did a great job and though he doesn't know it yet, Iíve already made up my mind that when the funding is complete, he will be our story board artist. I would have never chosen him from the crowd but because of his volunteering for the experience and seeing him work through the learning curve, he now has a nice portfolio piece, an animatic on DVD with his name plastered all over the credits and a potential position with me doing a feature film. I myself remember volunteering as a film student on countless projects to build up my portfolio and experience. So thatís where my mind set was and I am not trying to take advantage of anyone. I have been screwed out of tens of thousands of dollars of work myself and I most certainly donít want people to feel taken advantage of. So accept my apologies (I am just a novice LW hobbyist at best) and when I have funding in place I will be back to ask for help. Sound fair? I want to be loyal to Light Wavers. :lwicon:

AbnRanger
11-13-2005, 05:46 AM
There is a very good article in the August '05 edition of 3D World Magazine about "online project collaboration," which you may find helpful in this sort of venture.

I see where you are coming from; however, if it's a commercial project, then simply be "on the level" with folks you talk to and let them know up front the scope and scale, rewards and risks, so they have sufficient details to make an informed decision.
Good luck.