PDA

View Full Version : Explosion of...an explosive

Anti-Distinctly
11-12-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi all.

I have an animation that shows a small cylinder of explosive material contained within a small clear perspex holder which is open at one end exploding a la high speed camera footage style. I'll attempt to explain more clearly: When an explosive detonates, its entire surface just kind of shoots outwards at very high velocity. The ebst image I could find on the web is this one http://www.lokiconsult.com/images/iccd.jpg

I need to recreate this in LW. I tried one method already, by convering the surface in points and putting hypervoxels on them which grow over time. This achieved the desired effect, but in order for it to look good I had to put several thousand hypervoxels on the surface (due to the fact that it had to look like the surface just disintegrating & expanding, so the surface had to be covered to retain the original cylinderical shape).
However, this solution was unsatisfactory due to the large amount of HVs & rendering time (all intersecting with each other after a few frames which increased the rendering time even further).
I've tried dissolving out the large number of HVs so just a few HVs can 'take over' so to speak, as after they've become large enough, the original cylinder shape no longer has to be maintained. But until they're fully dissolved, the rending time is huge & I cant dissolve them out too quickly or the viewer will notice the jump between the large and small number of HVs.

This one's really got me stumped - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

StereoMike
11-12-2005, 08:49 AM
without replying on the hv issue... what about a smooth transition between your large and small number of hv scenes in post? Premiere, dfx or Vegas?
To avoid the hard jump between settings.
Mike

Stooch
11-13-2005, 10:09 PM
This looks like a job for some intelligent morphing, some bump map, maybe clip map blending alot of post work and particles. for both the explosion and debris. so start deforming the pipe or whatever, and play with item dissolve keys to popin pieces and replace pieces, animate a clip map, transparency maps, particles etc. Treat the shot in passes dont try to do it all at once. use alot of reference material.

Anti-Distinctly
11-21-2005, 05:58 AM
This looks like a job for some intelligent morphing, some bump map, maybe clip map blending alot of post work and particles. for both the explosion and debris. so start deforming the pipe or whatever, and play with item dissolve keys to popin pieces and replace pieces, animate a clip map, transparency maps, particles etc. Treat the shot in passes dont try to do it all at once. use alot of reference material.

Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge or software to do any post work. Any suggestions?

StereoMike
11-21-2005, 03:17 PM
With LW and some ideas you can also do some post effects!
You coud map the two clips onto two different planes, put them in the background and make a transition by changing the object dissolve envelope.