PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the memories...modeler crashing on older system

ptstudio
11-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Hello lightwavers,

it's been a while. I've misssssed you.

After a couple of years of relatively smooth driving in Lightwave 7.5, I've got a problem with a dual processor Mac MDD and Lightwave 7.5. This is a newish system I'm working on(for me at least) and right now I'm thinking extensions or card or card drivers (I'm hoping it's not hardware as I just purchased the thing from a reseller)

The problem looks like this. Modeler runs fine for a while then in mid process, it hangs and just chokes. It doesn't die in a crash; it just decides to go calculate pi or something for an eternity. The cursor still moves and if you start clicking things, you'll get the revolving rainbow of death but your session in Lightwave is definitely ovvvverrrr. Restart.

The system looks like this:

•Mac Dual 1.25 Mhz MDD with Superdrive 160 Gig drivespace. (the original model with 2 meg L3/processor)
•Boot ROM vrsion 4.4.8b4
•1.25 Gig of RAM (one 512 pc2700 stick and one 512 3300 stick - could be an issue but rep siad it wouldn't be)
•OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)
• ATI 9000 64 Mb (best I can figure, supposed to be non-retail shipping card)
• ATI Rage128 32 Mb (in a pci slot - this could be an issue - Running both cards side by side and all the weird selections of drivers and updates I've been through in the last week trying to find a flavor everything likes. And no, it doesn't let the system sleep but that shouldn't mess with modeler. Neither me nor the system sleep now)
• The cards have what ATI says is the latest ROM and driver updates (though they were for the retail card models, I note 10.2.8 has the same versions.
• The hard drive is dual boot with both OS 9.2.2 and the OS X 10.2.8.
• In the past week I've reloaded almost every OSX version from 10.1.x to 10.2.8 so the libraries folder is starting to grow fur it's so full of junk.

Lightwave 7.5 build 477.

Can't think of anything else that's pertinent.

I'd upgrade to all the latest software bells and whistles but this version ran fine on an older G4 533Mghz model; it doesn't get too far on this machine. It actually runs more robustly or more quickly as you'd expect. . . but then goes into this hang mode. It can happen when you resize a window, scale an object or doing almost and function major or minor.
weird.

I thought, as this is an older system, someone may have encountered similar and knows what the issue is. A week in and I'm still trying variations.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Pat Turner

kfinla
11-12-2005, 02:03 AM
hmm.. well I'm running a very similar system and have not had those issues. I work mainly in LW 8.3 but still have 7.5d Build 491 running, and it seems to be fine.

I have a ATI 9000 128 MB though, 2gb of ram, and a PCI raedeon 32 mb card.

It could by your Rage card. Otherwise id suggest switching to 7.5d.

Oh im also running 10.4.3 these days. But have 10.2.8 on another partition i occasionally boot from when i run into incompatibilities.

ptstudio
11-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi Ken,

we're almost neighbours, geographically speaking - I'm out here in Chilliwack. It's a small enclave of dedicated Lightwavers and corn pickers.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like you have the Pro Mac Edition 9000. I've got the stock version. Perhaps the extra 64mgb on card memory makes a difference. And yes, it could come down to the Rage 128 that runs a second menus monitor. It wasn't an issue on the older G4 but may be with more info coming at the cards.

I knew a while back that some people were having problems with their Lightwave and ATI cards hanging and crashing. That's why I published all the extra info. Figured by now someone would have figured out the correct combination of drivers, OS editions, ROM and pram flashes etc.

Looks like they have, and it's essentially to upgrade to the latest versions of all software. Can't argue with that except for the price tag.

I've noted that some have wiped their systems and had success with reloading OSX 10.2.4.
Was this in relation to the Dual Processor MDD / ATI card problems? Anybody care to elaborate on what makes a stable environment on the dual 1.25Mgz MDD with stock ATI card?

Thanks again,

Pat

www.patrickturner.com

ptstudio
11-13-2005, 09:40 PM
I know most of you are tracing issues on newer versions of Lightwave and Mac OSX but to close out this thread I thought I'd advise of the solution I found for the modeler "hang."

As suspected, this was a graphics card issue but not with the older Rage128 card running the menus monitor. Turns out the ATI 9000 that shipped with the dual MDD has issues with openGL and Lightwave. I remember seeing this some time back and you don't have to worry about it if you're running the latest software and machines.

At ATI, the issue is stated as a modeler "hang" when rotating windows in Lightwave 7.5C while running OSX 10.2.8 or there abouts. Obviously later OS's and earlier systems don't have the problem.

The fix is from ATI and it is not widely advertised - it's not in their main support DL pages. If you go to their Customer Care/Support pages and do a quick search for "HotFix" you'll find a wee patch that rectifies the problem. . . beautifully.

Not a single hang or crash all day while rotating hundreds of thousand polygons.

This is not for later systems (i think the issue got resolved somewhere between ATI and Apple and the drivers now work), and is only for those running older configurations.

Thought I'd leave this message and solution so if anyone else runs into this (it's an older issue that is difficult to find answers for), they'll know the fix.

Best,

Pat Turner

www.patrickturner.com

or

http://ptstudios.tripod.com

or

http://ptstudios.tripod.com/fineart.html

or

http://ptstudios.tripod.com/carrier.html

shameless I know.